2018 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 > Kai's End of 2012 Book Challenge

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kai (last edited Dec 15, 2012 04:10PM) (new)

Kai (uchinaguchi) I joined Goodreads and this group in November, so I'll put up everything I remember reading this year. I don't have a numeric goal at this point, but I'm curious to see how much I have read as a checkpoint for next year.

Books read: 28
Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood This is Water by David Foster Wallace Swamplandia! by Karen Russell The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 1Q84  by Haruki Murakami American Gods by Neil Gaiman This is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green Brains A Zombie Memoir by Robin Becker Trees Shown to the Children by Janet Harvey Kelman The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide, #2) by Douglas Adams The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien Who Could That Be At This Hour? by Lemony Snicket 5 by Dan Zadra Tomcat in Love by Tim O'Brien Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide, #3) by Douglas Adams The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1) by Maureen Johnson Hear the Wind Sing by Haruki Murakami Thoreau On Man and Nature by Henry David Thoreau Every Love Story is a Ghost Story A Life of David Foster Wallace by D.T. Max Meet Your Happy Chemicals Dopamine, Endorphin, Oxytocin, Serotonin by Loretta Graziano Breuning John Dies at the End (John Dies at the End, #1) by David Wong Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

message 2: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Welcome to the group, Kai! That's an awesome list of books. :)

message 3: by Kai (new)

Kai (uchinaguchi) Four of the books I've read this year fall into My Ideal Bookshelf. It's not that I gave them 5 stars, but they've all made a significant impact on me. I highly recommend them to anyone curious as what to read next, but don't be disappointed if they don't make it to your ideal bookshelf. We all like different things, after all.

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood This is Water by David Foster Wallace The Fault in Our Stars by John Green The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

message 4: by Kai (new)

Kai (uchinaguchi) Just read This is Water by David Foster Wallace again. A couple of years ago a mentor figure once told me about the importance of daily gratitude, and how people who practice gratitude regularly are generally happier people with healthier brains.
I'm reading this book again because I keep telling myself to read it after every bad day, which lately has been every day. Like most people, I have a dead end job, but feel trapped in this economy, but I seriously feel like I work with a bunch of death eaters and I come home less of a person. If you feel like that, I recommend this book. Or maybe another book that has significance for you. But I do believe repetition is important, and if you practice repetition, you can change how you feel.
This 137 page book takes minutes to read, and that is how long it takes to shift your day and your perspective. In the fifteen minutes that I read this book, I went from all sorts of negative energy to some place a bit more peaceful and understanding. I think a good book like that is worth a little bit of your daily time.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Kai wrote: "Just read This is Water by David Foster Wallace again. A couple of years ago a mentor figure once told me about the importance of daily gratitude, and how people who practice gratitude regularly are ge..."

Wow, Kai. You've sold me on that book. I'm going to pick it up from my library asap. It's good to have a book like that.