Start by marking “Hear the Wind Sing (The Rat, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hear the Wind Sing (The Rat, #1)

Hear the Wind Sing

(The Rat #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  11,441 Ratings  ·  962 Reviews
Hear the Wind Sing is the first novel by Haruki Murakami; it first appeared in the June 1979 issue of Gunzo, one of the most influential literary magazines in Japan.

It is the first of the "boku" tetralogy; translated by Alfred Birnbaum.
Published 1979 by Kodansha International Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Hear the Wind Sing, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) That's the point of "boku" fiction. Boku means I-myself. There are strong biographical elements from Murakami's life in the story but Boku is not…moreThat's the point of "boku" fiction. Boku means I-myself. There are strong biographical elements from Murakami's life in the story but Boku is not Murakami. It's a dialogue between Boku and the reader. The best first-person-singular narration connects with the reader until the reader can see him/herself reflected in "I". Murakami is very good at that when he's on form.(less)

Petra X
I tried to get into Wind/Pinball: Two Novels and I have to say that although the prose reads beautifully, it flows into my mind and out again, smoothly, a slick of oil on a ripple, now it's gone. I read more than half before finally wondering why was I putting myself through this. It wasn't a test. I don't have to measure up to any standard. This is just for enjoyment and I wasn't enjoying it. Nothing I read, or listened to (I tried both) held my attention. Marukami's characters were just people ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
風の歌を聴け = Kaze no uta o kike = Hear the Wind Sing (The Rat, #1), Haruki Murakami
Hear the Wind Sing is the first novel by Japanese writer Haruki Murakami. It first appeared in the June 1979 issue of Gunzo (one of the most influential literary magazines in Japan), and in book form the next month. The novel was adapted by Japanese director Kazuki Ōmori in a 1981 film distributed by Art Theatre Guild. An English translation by Alfred Birnbaum appeared in 1987.
Feeling writing as a terribly painful tas
Megha
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews

Perfect example of beauty in simplicity!

Even after having read a bunch of novels by Murakami, I always find a new flavor in each of them. Sure they have some similar characters and recurring themes, but each of his novels does have a different note in its voice and a different mood.

Hear the Wind Sing again has a nameless narrator, quirky characters, off-the-wall dialogue, lots of beer, some music and some literature. His characters are the last people one would expect to break into an emotional
Darwin8u
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
"How can those who live in the light of day possibly comprehend the depth of night?"
- Nietzche

description

A nice first novel(la) with most all the known Murakami tropes already stirred in. There is music (pop, jazz, classical) with specific references to actual pressings. There are: cats, bars, whiskey, birds, alienation and needy women. Murakami ventures into existential philosophy and Western literature (both real and fake). It is all there. Things that would later pop up again and again in his later, str
Sam Quixote
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Haruki Murakami’s first novel Hear the Wind Sing is like a lot of first novels in that it’s unfocused, rambling and mostly about the author - and yet it’s kinda compelling because of how well written it is!

There’s no story to speak of. The novel takes place within 3 weeks of the summer of 1970 where our nameless narrator in his early 20s bums around his small town. He meets a wealthy spoilt brat called The Rat who sits in a bar, reads Western novels, and spouts pseudo-intellectual nonsense. He
kian
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
دروغها چيزهاي وحشتناكي هستند؛ ميتوان گفت بزرگترين گناهاني كه جامعه مدرن را مي آزارند؛ افزايش دروغ و سكوت است؛ گستاخانه دروغ ميگوييم و بعد، زبان مان را قورت ميدهيم...

در كنار موسيقي، كتابها خوشي بزرگم بودند... مهم نبود چقدر مشغول، بي پول يا خسته باشم، هيچكس نميتوانست اين لذتها را از من بگيرد.....

از اول تا آخر، همه ش شد خوردن آبجو.. و يه سري نظرات درمورد يه نويسنده قديمي بنام درك.... يه سري روزمرگي هاي خيلي بيمزه كه هيچ نكته جالب توجهي توشون وجود نداشت.. 😔😔
Mutasim Billah
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
“When the time comes, everybody’s got to end up where they belong. Only me, I didn’t have a place to call my own. It’s like musical chairs.”

A little rough around the edges, and heavily influenced by Kerouac(i.e. On the Road), Hear the Wind Sing is Murakami's first ever novel. The novel tells the story from the perspective of an unnamed narrator as he writes down the events of the summer vacation of 1970 that he spent at his hometown on the seaside. The story introduces some of the most notable M
Mohammad Ali
این داستان و داستان پین بال اولین داستان های بلند جدی موراکامی اند. من بر حسب تصادف این کتاب رو به عنوان اولین کتابی که از موراکامی می خونم انتخاب کردم. خوندن ابتدای کتاب که به خود داستان نویسی می پردازه - یعنی مقدمه ی ترجمه ی جدید انگلیسی و فصل اول خود کتاب - در کنار فهمیدن این مطلب که این داستان جزو اولین های موراکامیه یه جورایی باعث شد انتظار بدی از کتاب داشته باشم اما وقتی وارد داستان شدم و پیش رفتم دیدم نه برعکس با کتاب خوبی روبروئم و ازش لذت بردم

داستان روایتی صادقانه است از دنیای تخت امروز
Hannah Garden
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
James found out that the only two Murakami books I haven't read are this one and Pinball, 1973. He got me this one and then, because the other is like rare and therefore expensive (these two earliest Murakami novels have been translated but not published here--only in Japan, I guess, by cute Kodansha) HE MADE ME A COPY OF PINBALL. That is right, he MADE me one. He got the text from some fan's website, printed everything out, COLLATED that shit or whatever, and then BOUND it.

Tell me that is not
Vanessa
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hooray, another new Murakami book to sink my teeth into! When I say new, I mean newly published as Hear the Wind Sing was Haruki Murakami's first ever published novel, in 1979, and has recently been published with Pinball, 1973 in a new English translation.

This book doesn't really have a plot at such - it follows our narrator who spends his time sitting in his favourite bar with his best friend The Rat, chatting, watching baseball, and pursuing a girl with nine fingers. What I loved about it tho
Teresa
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In November this book traveled from Japan to New Orleans via my son and then traveled back to Japan with me the following month. I brought it because it's small and lightweight, easily fitting in my carry-on, so I could read it on the plane ride over.

If you already know HM's work, this first novella of his might seem lightweight in substance as well (though it is well-written) but you'll have the pleasure of recognizing many of the themes and motifs that will surface and grow in his later, longe
Murat S. Dural
Haruki Murakami okumak, edebiyat ve ben... Bir tür onunlayken bile onu özleme, anlamaya çalışma, anladığımı düşündüğümde bile anlayamadığımı hissedip üzülme hali. Eserini eline almak, bırakmamak isteyip kitabın elinden kayıp senden kaçacağını bilmenin verdiği hüzün. Murakami her seferinde neden bende bu duyguyu yaratıyor fazlasıyla düşünüyor, cevap bulmaya çabalıyorum. Metinleri beni küçümsemese bile anlattıklarının gizli dehlizleriyle kör labirentlere sokup orada ışıksız, bırakıyor sanki. Doğan ...more
Abdyka Wirmon
Semalam saya bermimpi, mimpi tentang pelabuhan, botol-botol bir, seorang wanita dan tangan-tangan yang saling bergenggaman. bukankah ini tahap yang terindah dari seorang manusia? hidup, mencari jawaban atas dunia, berusaha hidup dalam sebuah arus namun tidak ingin hanyut didalamnya.

Dengarkanlah Nyanyian Angin itulah dia. buku tipis yang telah melengkapi minggu ini dengan sempurna, dia hangat bagai tegukan bir, penuh pengertian bagai seorang kekasih yang tidak banyak bicara, dan cukup tipis untu
Osric
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
برای خوندنش خیلی دودل بودم، تحقیق کوچیکی کردم دیدم این کتاب اولین کتاب از مجموعه ی چهار جلدی "رت" هست، برای همین کمی تحریک شدم.
شروع به خوندن کردم و فقط 9 صفحه زمان برد که غرق شدم توی همون اشتیاق همیشگی که از خوندن موراکامی بهم دست میداد.
با اینکه این کتاب اولین کتاب این نویسنده هست ولی سبک نوشتاری کاملا خوب و همون طعم کتابای موراکامی رو داره.
داستان کتاب هم، دقیقا از جنس داستان های موراکامیه، خط داستانی های موازی هم و نقش مهم عشق توی داستان، دلدادگی های خاص و روابط عاطفی پیچیده...

خلاصه اینکه کتاب
Liv (Оља)
I gave a star each for:
-the Murakami-ness and how which ever book of his you read it feels like coming home
-the tragic backstories of the characters that were merely hinted at
-the beautiful writing

I took of a star for:
-the open ending and the pointlessness you feel towards the end
-being a bit forgettable

I'm counting this for the Around the World in 80 Books challenge as a book set in Japan.
Michael Finocchiaro
This was one of Murakami's very first pieces of writing. My understanding is that it was so hard to find in translation for years because Haruki was not proud of his early attempts at finding his voice. While it is true that it is at times uneven, it still has that unique Murakami spark that got better with Pinball and then solidified and mature with Norwegian Wood and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.
Nazrul Islam
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
মুরাকামির পরথম বই ।মুরাকামি নিজেই বলেছেন এই বইটা তাঁর সকল বই থেকে দুরবল। যিনি আগে কোনদিন কিছুই লিখে নাই সেই বযকতি যখন ধুম করে একটা বই লিখে ফেলে তাহলে যা হয় আরকি ।
বইতে আসলে বলতে গেলে কোন পলট নেই। উততম পুরুষে বলা একজন নযারেটর যে কাহিনী বরননা করে গিয়েছে তাঁর খাপছাড়া খাপছাড়া বকতবের মাধযমেই পুরা সটোরি বলে গিয়েছে।
যতই দুরবল হোক লেখকটা যে মুরাকামি । তাঁর ছাপ সপটই পাওয়া গিয়েছে "ওয়েসটারন মিউজিক" , "জযাজ" এইসব টপিক বার বার উঠে আসার মাধযমে ।
আর সবশেষে হঠাৎ করে শেষ করে দিয়ে মনটা বিষনন করে দেওয়া তো তাঁর টরেডমা
Aslıhan Çelik Tufan
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Mobina J
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
موراکامی به فکر وامیداره، مجبورت میکنه هر اتفاق و هر صحبتی رو روش خوب فکر کنی و از هیچی الکی نگذری چون هیچی نسبت به هم بی ربط نیست و وقتی اینارو کنار هم میگذاری و میفهمیش از زیبایی درکش لذت میبری.
درسته که خیلی فاصله داره از کافکا در کرانه اما خب برای اولین کتابی که نوشته به نظرم واقعا قابل قبوله.

- همه چی به هم ریخته؛ انگار تو یه باد بدشگون گیر افتاده باشم
-جهت بادها عوض میشه
-واقعا اینطوری فکر میکنی؟
-...آره، اگه اون قدری که باید صبر کنی
Nilam Suri
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nilam by: Roos
Shelves: literature
Ini novel Murakami kedua yang saya baca, setelah Norwegian Wood. Dan lagi-lagi saya suka. Ada sesuatu tentang para penulis Jepang yang saya suka, entah itu Yoshimoto atau Murakami (ya referensi saya memang belum banyak). Saya menyukai atmosfer 'kosong' yang ada di tulisan mereka.

Sejauh pengetahuan saya, yang masih minim itu, saya mendapati tokoh2 Murakami sangat 'manusia'. Mereka terasa nyata, karena mereka tidak sempurna. Bahkan tubuh mereka pun tidak kelewatan bagus,atau cantik,atau tampannya.
Semjon
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Das war wahrscheinlich keine gute Idee, mit diesem Erstlingswerk von Murakami anzufangen, wenn man noch nie etwas von ihm gelesen hat. Das Buch wurde lange Zeit vom Autor nicht zur Veröffentlichung freigegeben. Warum er sich dann doch dem Druck der Fanmassen beugte, die offensichtlich an seinen Lippen kleben, kann sich wahrscheinlich jeder selbst denken. Künsterliche Gründe sind wohl eher sekundär bei dieser Entscheidung.

Das kleine Buch ist eine belanglose Geschichte eines japanischen Studenten
Shayan
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
هنوز دارم بخودم فحش میدم چرا لین رو خوندم تقصیر کتاب فروش بود که گفت اولین کتابش رو بخون خیلی خوبه ((چه فاجعه ای)) فقط چند تا جمله ی قصار داشت که در انبوه کلمات بی معنی گمشده بود و اینقد سانسور داشت که روی اعصابم داشت رژه میرفت و جالب اینکه ترجمش بد نبود درواقع متنش فاجعه بود و حتی انگار متن از چند کتاب جمع شده بود یه جا گذاشته بودنش
Nick G
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-read-have
I've been on a roll with Murakami for quite a while now. I guess this recent streak could be called a sort of study of one of my favorite authors. Knowing enough about him now, I wanted to see how it all started, even if it did mean paying too much for this short, tiny book (literally the smallest book I've ever read - it fits in my shirt pocket).

Many of the better known Murakami elements are there: the abstractly beautiful feelings that arise from meeting a new girl, beer, bittersweet waves of
Andrew Schirmer
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: japan, translation
"There's no such thing as perfect writing. Just like there's no such thing as perfect despair."

Sounds like Dostoyevsky, but then you'd have to guess again.

I have not a few Japanese comrades who are mystified at the extraordinary popularity of Haruki Murakami abroad. I remain split--some of the stories and novels are tightly wound and deeply affecting, others overindulgent and sprawling.

Count this obscurity as one of the former. My friend Akemi graciously sent a secondhand copy via Japanese Ama
Nabila Tabassum Chowdhury
মুরাকামি আগে পড়া হয়নি, ঠিক করেছি টাইমলাইন ধরে একটা একটা পড়বো। তাই মুরাকামির পরথম লেখা দিয়েই শুরু। মুরাকামি নিজেই বলেছেন এটা তার অপরিপকব সময়ের লেখা।

Hear the Wind Sing...বাতাসের গান শোনো... নামটা সুনদর। কিনতু আমার কাছে বিশেষ কিছু মনে হয়নি। উপনযাসটিতে তেমন কোনও মুল গলপ ছিল না। কিছু চিনতা, কিছু দৃশযপট, কিছু জীবন যাপন এমন ছাড়া ছাড়া কিছু বযাপার। তবুও খারাপ যে লেগেছে এমনও না। হালকা ধরণের লেখা, হালকা ভাবে পড়ে ফেলেছি। মনেও থাকবে না হয়তো কিছুদিন পর এখানে কী পড়েছিলাম।

রেটিং দুটো তারাই দিতাম। বাড়তি একটা তারা
Hulyacln
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murakami’nin ilk romanı (yazarın deyişiyle novellası)..Ama bir o kadar tanıdık..Müzik zevkleri,diyalogların çekiciliği,mekan seçimleri gibi “murakami imzaları”nı daha ilk romanına serpiştirmiş.Hissettiği “ben roman yazabilirim” düşüncesi ile kendini ne kadar tanıdığını da gösteriyor.En sevdiğim romanı ‘yaban koyunun izinde’ den sonra listeme ikinci sıradan giriş yapıyor sonrası ‘sahilde kafka’ tabii ki..Belki bu yakınlığımın sebebi, manevi bir yakınlık belki de acemiliğinin bile ‘özgün bir tat’a ...more
Faroukh Naseem
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I read 1Q84 I was spell bound by the details to which he took me into his so-called 2 moon world.
Yesterday I read Hear the Wind Sing (it’s a pretty small book and mostly short dialogues between the characters)

It’s his first book and you can tell, but at the same time after finishing it I felt it was actually pretty deep (Maybe it is because he is ‘Murakami’) or maybe because it actually is that good.
Very much like Catcher in the Rye with a hint of Fight Club.

It’s the kind of book which woul
Tugba
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eğer Haruki Murakami'nin şuanki yazarlık deneyimi için "yetişkinlik dönemi" yakıştırması yaparsak, bu kitap için "bebeklik döneminde" yazdığı (20'li yaşlarının sonuna tekabül ediyor) ilk kitap olarak bahsedebiliriz. Bir diğer ifadeyle bebek Murakami'nin ilk adımları :)

Başlarda kitabın yayımlanmasına ısrarla karşı çıkmış fakat yıllar sonra bugün nihayet kitabını okurlarıyla buluşturmuştur. İyi ki de buluşturmuş diyorum çünkü "Rüzgarın Şarkısını Dinle", tıpkı "Koşmasaydım Yazamazdım" adlı eserin
Patrick McCoy
I was surprised to see Haruki Murakami's Hear The Wind Sing at the bookstore. It is his first novel that was published in English for English language learners by Kodansha in 1987 (it was originally published in Japanese in 1979) I had assumed that it was out of print. It is a thin Japanese sized volume and only 128 pages with Japanese translation notes. Incidentally, his second novel, Pinball 1973, is equally difficult to find.

This novel may have been the precursor to two of his other novels, T
Arash
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
_
همه ی ما با شرایط یکسان به دنیا می آیم؛ انگاری همه مون با هم سوار یه هواپیما ی خرابیم. البته، بعضی هامون خوش شانس ترن. بعضی ضعیفن و بعضیا قوی. بعضیا پولدار و بعضیا فقیر. اما هیچ کی سوپرمن نیست، از این نظر همه ضعیفیم. اگر چیزی داشته باشیم، می ترسیم از دستش بدیم؛ اگر هیچی نداشته باشیم نگران اینیم که همیشه همین طوری بمونیم. همه مون یه جوری. هرچی زودتر این رو بفهمی، می تونی تلاش کنی خودت رو قوی تر کنی، اگه شده یه ذره. اشکالی نداره اگه بهش تظاهر کنی. درسته؟ هیچ آدم واقعا قوی ای در کار نیست. فقط آدم
Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973 6 38 Feb 25, 2015 07:27PM
  • Twinkle Twinkle
  • Lizard
  • Thirst for Love
  • Blue Bamboo: Japanese Tales of Fantasy
Murakami Haruki (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/harukimuraka...

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by Am

The Rat (4 books)
  • Pinball, 1973 (The Rat, #2)
  • A Wild Sheep Chase (The Rat, #3)
  • Dance Dance Dance (The Rat, #4)

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Curtain of Green: and Other Stories (Harvest/HBJ Book)
  • Three Times Lucky
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Homeland (Crown Family Saga, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
  • Echoes of Family
    $4.99 $1.99
“There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair.” 420 likes
“For example, the wind has its reasons. We just don't notice as we go about our lives. But then, at some point, we are made to notice. The wind envelops you with a certain purpose in mind, and it rocks you. The wind knows everything that's inside you. And not just the wind. Everything, including a stone. They all know us very well. From top to bottom. It only occurs to us at certain times. And all we can do is go with those things. As we take them in, we survive, and deepen.” 82 likes