The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments Just finished this one. I haven't read much Dick but this book didn't catch me until about halfway through. The last few chapters were fantastic. My biggest complaint would be the use of the I Ching. I understand that the Japanese occupying the United States would bring upon the use of some of their customs but for anyone to use this as a deciding factor in any situation is beyond me. I guess I'm too much of a skeptic.

message 2: by Bob (new)

Bob (Shack) | 103 comments I have this my Kindle to read when I get to it. If you liked the Blade Runner movie check out Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? It's way different then the movie

message 3: by kvon (new)

kvon | 558 comments When I reread this one last year I had forgotten how much racism and sexism is in the book. The I Ching didn't bother me, even if it's Chinese more than Japanese. It's supposed to be an oracle, connecting the asker to the universe. Which universe, is the question.

message 4: by Michael (last edited Nov 06, 2012 12:14AM) (new)

Michael (The_Smoking_GNU) | 178 comments I really enjoyed "The Man in the High Castle" and it prompted me to read more Philip K Dick, namely Ubik.
The TV show Prophets of Science Fiction mentioned that Dick used the I Ching himself to make decisions about the plot of his books.

message 5: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments He must've seen the sign for "weird ending"

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 859 comments Tyler wrote: "He must've seen the sign for "weird ending""

Allegedly, that's exactly what happened.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Palmer | 35 comments I read this a few months ago, I liked it.

I have also read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, it doesn't have much in common with Blade Runner other than a few characters and the concept of replicants. I didn't like it very much.