Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 82) (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments anyone out there reading the Doctor Who comics?

I started way back, before the turn of the century, when Marvel was doing reprints and the comic strip in the Doctor Who monthly.
The current stuff from IDW featuring the Tennant/Smith eras have been quite entertaining.
I've seen that a lot of the DWM strips have been collected in trades, but I haven't had the cash to get many of them.

I always liked when they introduced new companions in the comics. They had some interesting ideas for characters and stories.

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 9 comments I read the Ripper one which was pretty good

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellepotter) I recently picked up one that was called Doctor Who Annual (2012). Honestly, I just didn't like it. The art varied way too much for one comic, and the storyline was not memorable at all. Kind of sucks because I love Doctor Who and I love comics. :/

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (RHWright) | 71 comments Don't follow them on a regular basis, but really enjoyed Doctor Who: The Forgotten. Pretty solid story, and at this point probably the only way we're going to get a multi-Doctor story.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (AndrewLawston) | 38 comments I stopped buying DWM soon after the 2005 relaunch to avoid spoilers, so am way behind on the comic strip. Which is a shame as I used to love it. I came on board with Paul Cornell's early strip Stairway to Heaven back in issue 156. I followed it religiously through the 7th, 8th and 9th Doctors and took every opportunity to seek out the classics with the Voyager and Abslom Daak graphic novels. When Doctor Who Classic Comics started, it could have been designed for me :)

message 6: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments I highly recommend 'Prisoners of time'.
Each issue features a one issue Doctor story, but there is a story thread running through them.

The Troughton Doctor story in issue 2 is brilliant and my favorite so far.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark C | 43 comments I've been reading Doctor Who Magazine since the late-80s and I've also bought most of the Panini graphic novel collections for the 4th, 5th and 6th Doctors. So I've actually got most of the DWM comic strips in one form or another.

As to the US stuff: I've got Agent Provocateur and I've read a few others but their not that easy to get hold of in the UK and, to be honest, I just don't enough money to get everything I'd like to. That said I would like to get the graphic novel collections of Prisoner of Time as well as the DW/ST:TNG crossover.

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Mark wrote: "I've been reading Doctor Who Magazine since the late-80s and I've also bought most of the Panini graphic novel collections for the 4th, 5th and 6th Doctors. So I've actually got most of the DWM com..."

You can't get the US DW comics in the UK...?
That's just wrong.

message 9: by Mark (last edited May 02, 2013 01:53PM) (new)

Mark C | 43 comments Travis wrote:You can't get the US DW comics in the UK...?
That's just wrong.

Not easily,no. Some comic shops like Forbidden Planet do stock a few copies but they are quite hard to get hold of. There's some sort of legal reason for it I think but I'm not too clear about it.

Most of the graphic novels can be found on places like Amazon but again they seem to be in limited numbers. You can also find a few in the comic shops but I've never seen one in a high street book shop. Again I think that's for legal reasons because Panini have the rights to publish Doctor Who graphic novels in the UK but IDW don't.

message 10: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Kresal | 41 comments IDW apparently only has a licence to release them in the US, not the UK. Ironically from what I've heard, the only IDW Who comic that was readily available in the UK was the Star Trek: The Next Generation crossover one and that was because "technically" it was a Star Trek comic, not a Who comic.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian | 15 comments I love what IDW has been doing, it's a shame that they've lost the license after this year. The current "Prisoners of Time" series is great (apart from a few characterization and continuity quibbles).

The recent DWM comic strip, "Hunters of the Burning Stone," was genius. Best DWM strip in years. Hasn't been collected yet, but I highly recommend picking up the trade when Panini gets around to it.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark C | 43 comments I believe that the trade of 'Hunters of the Burning Stone' is out in October. I have to agree that it was a very good story and got me back into reading the DWM comic strip which I've largely ignored for the past three or four years.

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Anyone read 'Prisoners of time"?

The individual stories were very good, the linking arc was uneven and didn't quite work for me and the grand finale was fun, but a bit of a jumbled mess.

Nice companion piece to the TV and Big Finnish specials.

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Well, just read the last of the Matt Smith comics.
The old west story was a lot of fun, the last one shot was pretty weak.

Curious to see if/when IDW will be doing any comics featuring the 13th Doctor.

message 15: by Elena (new)

Elena (alostgeek) | 18 comments I still haven't read the last comic, but I like them and hope that there will be more in the future.

I've been getting them through the Previews catalogue because you can't find them here and I'm still waiting for a number of "Prisoners of Time" and the last one of the ongoing series.

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (RHWright) | 71 comments Last I heard, BBC chose not to renew IDW's license. Don't recall hearing what they plan next. Sad, really, since IDW was doing some good things.

message 17: by Sean (last edited Mar 10, 2014 10:23AM) (new)

Sean (CaptHowdy) Titan comics now has the licence for all Doc Who comics (in North America ONLY http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/2...) and IDW can no longer publish Who comics.

Unfortunately this is leaving a transitional period where we aren't getting any comics in North America whatsoever! ARGH!

I am worried too about this Titan licence as I have never seen a comic book store ever carry Titan stuff. I hope it's easy to add on a future pull list!

Anyhow, due to the licence issues and limited comics for N.A. audiences, I decided to grab what I can because it's going to be hard to find any ever again (Unless Titan wishes to reprint IDW's stuff and/or the stuff IDW has already reprinted which is doubtful).

Doctor Who Series 1 Winter's Dawn, Season's End by Tony Lee
Doctor Who Series 2 The Girl Who Waited, The Boy Who Lived by Tony Lee

These two limited hardcover books are beautifully done. I hope they are able to release a third one with the rest of their stuff before it all goes to Titan.

It looks nice next to my other hardcovers by them:
Doctor Who Prisoners of Time The Complete Series by Scott Tipton
Star Trek The Next Generation/Doctor Who Assimilation 2 by Scott Tipton

AAAND, my omnibuses of the reprints:

Doctor Who Classics Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison
Doctor Who Classics Omnibus Volume 2 by Steve Parkhouse

I think that gives me enough Doc Who comic reading and basically completes the North American IDW collection!

Well, except for anything in series 3 but I am praying to the timelords that IDW also releases a nice hardcover to match the other two! If not I'll just have to bite it and buy each of the paperback trades (https://www.goodreads.com/series/1069...). I DID buy the Doctor Who Special which was neat though http://shop.idwpublishing.com/comics/... and I don't know if that will be in any of those trades.

Anyone know anything about the Titan folks and if there is any news on when their first release will be?

Cool just found out some info!
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/2...

message 18: by Sean (new)

Sean (CaptHowdy) Two months until the release of the new Doctor Who comic series (July 23rd, 2014)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?pa...

Are any of you folks subscribing? I've added both to my pull list.

Interestingly, here are two of the new companions: http://observationdeck.io9.com/doctor...

message 19: by Elena (new)

Elena (alostgeek) | 18 comments I missed the chance to pre-order the first number, but I'll get the next one.

Does anyone know if Titan does like IDW and releases a few numbers together later? I prefer those rather than the single issue numbers.

message 20: by Tony (new)

Tony | 23 comments I like the Titan idea of running different incarnations of the Doctor side by side. They appear to have hired some good creators so hopefully these will be worthwhile.

message 21: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments So, anyone read the new comics?
After being a bit annoyed that there isn't a comic for the Ninth, ( heck, in a perfect world, there should be 13 series!) I decided to give them a try.

Both were decent, and captured each Doctor's era quite well. I think the Matt Smith one was a stronger start. I like his new companion and the balance of serious and goofy ideas.

The Tennant story was interesting, but felt really heavy handed and took too long to set up the new companion.

So far, I'm enjoying these and hoping they sell well enough that down the road we get a Capaldi Doctor comic and maybe even a War Doctor series.

message 22: by Mark (new)

Mark C | 43 comments I believe that a Capaldi comic series has already been confirmed with Clara as the companion.

message 23: by Brian (new)

Brian | 15 comments I'd love an anthology series, with rotating stories of the classic Doctors.

message 24: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 17 comments Brian wrote: "I'd love an anthology series, with rotating stories of the classic Doctors."

So would I, especially stories for the Second and Fourth Doctors. Give me some good Two/Jamie/Zoe and Four/Sarah Jane stories and I'm all set.

message 25: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Since my idea of them just doing 13 comic series is probably unreasonable, I would settle for a rotating anthology where every Doctor gets a story.

message 26: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 17 comments That would be better than nothing!

message 27: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments So, Capaldi's Doctor just got a comic and the rumor has it there will be an Eccelston comic in 2015.

Now, they just need to state doing things with the classic Doctors.
Or a mini feature Madam Vastra and co.

message 28: by Elena (new)

Elena (alostgeek) | 18 comments Travis wrote: "So, Capaldi's Doctor just got a comic and the rumor has it there will be an Eccelston comic in 2015.

Now, they just need to state doing things with the classic Doctors.
Or a mini feature Madam Vas..."

I hope they do that 9th Doctor comic.
Vastra and co. sounds like a great idea. They must have solved very interesting cases in Victorian London.

message 29: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Why there has not been some kind of Vastra and co. spin-off, either comic, novel or tv show is beyond me.
The BBC is missing a huge opportunity to get more of my money.

message 30: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Well, I've got to say the new Titan line of DW comics is pretty good.
Like that they are going with new companions for the most part.

Each one has really captured the feel of their Doctor.

message 31: by Brian (new)

Brian | 15 comments Travis wrote: "Well, I've got to say the new Titan line of DW comics is pretty good.
Like that they are going with new companions for the most part.

Each one has really captured the feel of their Doctor."

Yeah, I think they're pretty great. Really enjoyed the first issue of the Ninth Doctor comic. Nice to see some new stories with him that include Jack.

message 32: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Just wish the 9th Doctor comic was an ongoing and not a mini.

message 33: by Brian (new)

Brian | 15 comments Oh, is it? That's too bad. Well, maybe if it sells well they'll keep it going.

message 34: by Elena (new)

Elena (alostgeek) | 18 comments Travis wrote: "Just wish the 9th Doctor comic was an ongoing and not a mini."

Me too. I'd like to see more stories featuring 9.

message 35: by Mark (new)

Mark C | 43 comments I don't think the 9th Doctor series will become an ongoing series in the near future. The plan, as I understand it, is to do a number of mini series, each series focusing on a different Doctor. The Ninth Doctor is the first one to get the mini series treatment.

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned that they have a separate mini-series planned that teams up the 10th, 11th and 12th Doctors. It's written by Paul Cornell and I think it begins in August.

message 36: by Tony (new)

Tony | 23 comments I'm reading the UK Titan reprints. Really enjoyable 3 issues in, I wonder if they will publish the 9th Doctor series in there. ?

message 37: by Tony (new)

Tony | 23 comments Think I own all the Doctor Who comics published bar the DWA stuff which I didn't like since DWW was launched years ago. I have always felt that the comics are the best medium for adventures of the Doctor outside of the TV series much as I enjoy BF and the books.

message 38: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Odds and ends:

The Four Doctors mini really stumbled at the end. Shame, as it was fun up till that point. I was hoping Cornell would get through the whole story without letting his inner Moffatt loose.

Think Doctor #11 has gotten the best deal on new companions.

They announced that after #9's mini, we will get one starring #8. Like the idea of each Doctor getting a mini.

message 39: by Tony (new)

Tony | 23 comments I also like the idea of each Doctor getting a mini series.
I thought the Four Doctors has worked really well, was a good idea to ask Paul Cornell to write it.
I wasn't sold on Titan using new companions for 10 & 11 but the stories are good enough to carry the weight of expectation thus far.

message 40: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Liked the interaction between Doctors in the Four Doctors, but really felt the story stumbled at the end.
Shame, as Cornell is usually a really solid writer.

Aside from the fact that 90% of the new companions are 'girls from now', they've been decent.
I like Alice the librarian from the 11th Doctor comic best.

message 41: by Tony (new)

Tony | 23 comments Agree, Alice is best.

I think the comics could do well with an out of period companion, in fact the TV series could do that as well tbh

message 42: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Would love a historical or alien companion.
Or heck, I'd settle for a 'guy from now'. A bachelor Tardis would be a nice change.

message 43: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 39 comments Just saw this come up on Tumblr:

Fourth Doctor Miniseries

message 44: by Tony (new)

Tony | 23 comments Yes. All these mini series from Titan are exciting

message 45: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Was hoping the mini was working backwards through the line and so the next one would be Sylvester McCoy's Doctor.

I guess they wanted to hedge their bets moving from new Doctors to old school Doctors.

message 46: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments Titan just announced that there will be a 9th Doctor ongoing series in 2016.

I have this creeping dread that there will eventually be 13 Doctor Who comics coming out monthly and I will have to get a second job to afford them all.

message 47: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments So, the Tom Baker/4th Doctor mini is done and it was brilliant!
Read like a great episode.

Really looking forward to the upcoming 3rd Doctor mini.

message 48: by Brian (new)

Brian | 15 comments Haven't read the last issue yet, but I'm really liking it so far. First issue of the 3rd Doctor mini was great too - I love Paul Cornell!

I went to the Titan comics panel at New York Comic Con, it was pretty cool. Mostly just previews of panels from upcoming issues, not a lot of news, but still fun. They did say they were very careful with how many ongoing comics they released because they don't want to break readers' wallets, so rotating minis for the older Doctors is likely the way to go. They gave a teaser image for the next one of the old question mark symbol - I was assuming it was the Seventh Doctor's umbrella, but it could have meant the Fifth's lapels.

message 49: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments I was hoping when the did the 8th Doctor mini they'd then just go backwards in the numbers, but it looks like they are jumping around.
Starting with the safer Doctors...so, it'll probably be a while before we see number 6.

message 50: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 432 comments So, comics update:

12: Liking the short term companions. Fun to see Capaldi's Doctor interacting with different characters.
Plus, no angsty baggage, just him being the Doctor!

3: Really loving this mini. Was worried where it was going, but the twist in issue three completely caught me by surprise.

11: god this story arc has dragged! What was one of the best comics has dropped pretty low on my list.

10: another arc that drags. Do like his companions though.

« previous 1