The Reading Rainbow Coalition discussion

Book Dump: Suggestions > Book the Second

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Coalition Overlord (new)

Denise | 120 comments Mod
Ok so after thinking about how to go about this, I think this might be the cleanest way to figure out what books to put in the poll.

Every month there will be a thread like this "Book the (#)" which will act, for lack of a better phrase, as a book dump.

Anyone can make two suggestions each for the month. After a week I will condense the suggestions down to 4 or 5 options that we will then vote for. You are welcome to repeat your suggestion several months in a row (until it just starts to get annoying).

Suggest away!

message 2: by Sean (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:36AM) (new)

Sean (Sean_Mc) | 9 comments With the Watchmen movie coming out on March 6th, I think most of us are going to be reading it either as a refresher, or possibly for the first time. So I would suggest making that our official book. There are more than enough themes and subplots to warrant discussions, plus a ton of background...I'll call them "easter eggs"...that might have been missed in previous readthroughs.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 21, 2009 06:22AM) (new)

I agree that reading Watchmen would be a great idea; we'd have to get it done in a week, but I don't that's too much of a problem.

I would still love to read A Canticle for Leibowitz and, even though I've already read it, Snowcrash would be good too.

message 4: by Nikki (last edited Feb 19, 2009 08:34AM) (new)

Nikki (notmandatory) | 10 comments I would still like to do A Canticle for Liebowitz also, but I am not opposed to re-reading Watchmen either.

message 5: by Dram (new)

Dram | 21 comments I'm split on Canticle and Watchmen. I picked up both in NY (though I'd read Watchmen before) and I haven't had a chance to read either.

message 6: by Will (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:08AM) (new)

Will (thewilled) | 4 comments I'd say either Snow Crash, or maybe go older with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

At least since we're not really doing any series yet.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill (bhaelochon) | 17 comments Watchmen or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

message 8: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Flores (warholreject) | 2 comments THE ROAD

message 9: by Roe (new)

Roe | 6 comments I'm all for Watchman (was going to pick it up with coupon this weekend - I'm a cheap (yet fancy) bastard...). Or Dune (but that is a bit of a long book - 400something pages, I think). So, yeah, Watchman.

Once we get up to series, I'm tossing Patricia Briggs (Mercy Series) into the ring. Even if it's just the first book. Werewolves and a vampire with a Scooby Doo van. That's all I'm sayin'.

message 10: by Denise, Coalition Overlord (new)

Reminder!

If you want to make suggestions do it soon! I'm going to put the poll up by Thursday so that we can decide on a book by Sunday!

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (firefly99) | 27 comments The Road sounds interesting.

I found another book at the library that could be interesting: The Road to Mars by Eric Idle. Yes, that Eric Idle.

Pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman would work too. Neverwhere, American Gods, Good Omens(with Terry Pratchett)...

message 12: by Self-propelled (new)

Self-propelled | 40 comments I'd like to suggest Under the Skin by Michel Faber. It's a fantastic short novel with sci-fi elements (shortlisted for the Whitbread Prize in the UK) with a realistic, sympathetic female protagonist engaged in some extremely unsavoury activities. Don't read the wikipedia page before reading it, as it's a spoiler-sensitive read.

Failing that, The Road would be a good choice.

message 13: by Denise, Coalition Overlord (new)

Poll is up! Don't forget to vote!