Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1)
This topic is about The Last Unicorn
Book Discussions > The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments This is our classic November read. I also plan to read this if I can find a copy. Hope you all enjoy it!

Xdyj | 418 comments I read it a while ago & liked it. It's a nice, fable-like story w/ a lot of quoteworthy lines.

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 330 comments One of the classics of the genre: unicorn before unicorns were cool.

message 4: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new) - rated it 5 stars

G33z3r | 7680 comments The animated movie version of The Last Unicorn is also pretty good, if you just fast forward over Mia Farrow singing "Now that I'm a Woman". It takes its dialog right from the book (because Mr. Beagle write the screenplay - but not the song!) I got my copy autographed by the author, the only author signing I have anywhere.

Have a taco.

stormie  (quotations) | 1 comments finished reading it the other day. absolutely heartbreaking and yet hopeful at the same time. i was left with a sense of longing and emptiness afterwards. this wasn't my first time reading the story (i've been a lifetime fan, just about), but it never fails to pack a punch.

message 6: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (last edited Nov 12, 2012 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

G33z3r | 7680 comments
stormie wrote: "i was left with a sense of longing and emptiness afterwards."

The Last Unicorn is rather bittersweet. It's populated by people who are unhappy because they aren't what they dreamed of being. Schmendrick wants to be a "real" magician; Molly craves heroic romance; and Lir wants to be a heroic knight. Even the people who are the comfortable obstacles to their dreams have their own disappointments. Mommy Fortuna craves fame and immortality; Cully wants to be a cult hero (though he doesn't have the ambition to get up off his log); even Haggard wants nothing more than to be happy. Paxil would do wonders for these people!

And yet when the Unicorn/ Amalthea, Schmendrick, Molly & Lir get what they want, each finds it's not what they expected, and in the end they settle for more comfortable lives that make them happier. (At the end, Schmendrick & Molly meet a damsel in distress, who they send off to Lir, since that's his thing, not theirs anymore.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess,...

message 7: by Kevis (last edited Nov 19, 2012 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kevis Hendrickson (KevisHendrickson) | 44 comments The Last Unicorn is very different from most of the other fantasy books that followed on the heels of the publication of The Lord of the Rings. It's a sad, but beautifully written tale. I own the Deluxe Edition that features "Two Hearts", the Coda to The Last Unicorn. Definitely one of my prized possessions.

Gabriela (TheHalfelven) | 5 comments G33z3r wrote: "
stormie wrote: "i was left with a sense of longing and emptiness afterwards."

The Last Unicorn is rather bittersweet. It's populated by people who are unhappy because they aren't what they dre..."

I agree. I have always loved this story. I first saw the film as a child. There was no way to get the book in Argentina in the 80s, so I was an adult when I read it - quite recently actually. But the feeling it leaves me with is the same. It is not an "everything wraps up nicely" sort of story. And I think that is what makes it so special. It is easy to relate it to real life.

Daniel Cova | 2 comments A fantastic, lyrical fairy tale. Highly recommended. I love Beagle's prose and characters.

message 10: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 429 comments This is one of my all time favorite books - It is just such a well written, charming and creative tale. I recently got a digital copy with the "humble bundle" which I like as it now means if ever I want to reread it it is already there in my google drive to access.

I also love his "a fine and private place" which I also am very fond of.

message 11: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy | 17 comments I loved this book!! I also watched the animated movie, and to this day, it resulted in one of the only nightmares I really remember featuring the red bull. Lol

message 12: by Algernon (new) - added it

Algernon Gedgrave (Gelafold) | 2 comments I seriously MUST read this. I am surprised I haven't. I am completely in love with myth and fairie...

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Catelli | 434 comments Algernon wrote: "I seriously MUST read this. I am surprised I haven't. I am completely in love with myth and fairie..."

It's a marvelous story. One of those few works before the big fantasy boom in the 1970s.

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 330 comments The movie is making the rounds in revival:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gregory...

message 15: by Algernon (new) - added it

Algernon Gedgrave (Gelafold) | 2 comments That is what is particularly interesting about it...it is pre-LOTR mania...My favorite has been, and will always be, George MacDonald!

message 16: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Jensen | 324 comments I love this book. It taps into fairy tale tropes in ways that are genuine and original.

Have a taco.