Books on the Nightstand discussion

Podcast Episode Discussions > Additional Podcasts of Interest (Episode 202)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 55 comments In the Podcast Episode #202, the Q&A in California, one of the questions that Ann & Michael addressed was in regard to what other podcasts they listen to and/or recommend. Their suggestions were limited, and I thought maybe readers could share more. Books on the Nightstand is my #1 favorite, but that's only 30 - 45 minutes a week, so I have a few other book-related podcasts to share that I think are excellent; I'd love to hear what other people listen to. BTW, I download all my podcasts on iTunes, so I know you can find all of these there:

NPR BOOKS - - their podcast collects book-related topics from all NPR shows and puts them in one place for you!

AUTHORS ON TOUR - - Live interviews with authors from The Tattered Cover (indie bookstore in Denver)

BOOK LUST WITH NANCY PEARL - - Live interviews with authors

NY TIMES BOOK REVIEW - - Weekly podcast with 4 - 5 segments, talking about books, sometimes interviews, publishing news & trends, etc.

KCRW'S BOOKWORM - Book talk & author interviews by Michael Silverblatt, from Los Angeles

P.S. It's not necessarily book-related, but I am really enjoying the new podcast with interviews done by Alec Baldwin (called HERE'S THE THING).

I'd love to hear about more book-related podcasts other listeners are enjoying!!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Slate has a podcast called The Afterword which comes out bi-weekly; each episode features a non-fiction book and a discussion with its author and they usually offer copies (sometimes signed) of the book as giveaways as well.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2445 comments Mod
The ones that I keep up with are:

Books on the Nightstand

Audiopolis from AudioFile Magazine often comes out daily and is about 3 minutes in length. The 3 minutes include a quick explanation of an audiobook and a short sample.

Bookreview comes out every Friday and is hosted by Sam Tanenhaus. Sometimes interviews the author, sometimes the writer who wrote the New York Times Book Review article is viewed. Always ends with what is new on the best seller's list. Lasts between 20 and 45 minutes.

Book Club Girl is a recording of a telephone interview with an author. The podcast lasts usually about 45 minutes. Readers may take part in actual time by submitting questions on-line. Each podcast ends with information about when next taping will be.

Greater Boston Book Loft usually hosted by Emily Rooney last 10-15 minutes. Comes out sporadically and is always an author interview.

LA Review of Books on KCRW is a very short (5 minutes) podcast that comes out about once a month.

Meet the Authors authors interviewed at the Apple Soho Store. Usually last under an hour. Moderator and audience ask questions of authors.

I have others on my computer, but haven't listened to them - yet. I also listen to Book Lust with Nancy Pearl and Authors on Tour from Pamela's list.

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 5 comments The Guardian Books podcast. It's pretty much the British equivalent of the New York Times Book Review with regard to their industry news, but they talk about different books so it's a good complement. They also cover themes in a way that the other doesn't. I'm also totally addicted to BBC's Books and Authors podcast. It's two shows, one like the above and the other, A Good Read, has three people talking about books they've each chosen but all read. Really great for to-read ideas-it's nice having the perspective off all three on each book.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Guidarini | 33 comments Yum, people! Look at all this great stuff I have to explore in my "spare" time! Thank you, thank you.

Also, this isn't a podcast comment but I'm not sure where to include it. I found a phenomenal "what to read next/book suggestion site" not everyone may have seen:

http://www.openingthebook.com/whichbo...

You specify three categories of your likes and dislikes, on a sliding scale (literally), and it shoots out tons of recommendations. It's like Amazon on steroids. You can make lists there, see what other books a particular author has written, etc. I'm in love!

Lisa

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristin wrote: "The Guardian Books podcast. It's pretty much the British equivalent of the New York Times Book Review with regard to their industry news, but they talk about different books so it's a good compleme..."

I second both of those podcasts.

message 7: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ @ lisa,

great website. thanks for sharing.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2096 comments Mod
Last night at an event, I got to meet Julia, one of the three podcasters from Literary Disco. I'd never heard of Literary Disco, but downloaded it to listen on the 2 hour drive home. I love it!

I'm sure we'll talk more about it in one of the next few episodes, but do check it out!

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina (godmotherx5) | 87 comments Michael had suggested THE BOOK POD in September. I drive a lot so I am a fan of audio books. They play audio clips to give a synopsis of certain books.

@Linda, I definitely want to look into AUDIOPOILIS. I like when I can find a brief podcast here & there.

@Pamela, thanks for opening the discussion. So many interesting podcasts to check out and enable my book addiction. How can you ignore something called LITERARY DISCO?

message 10: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (thefranklynn) Suzanne wrote: "Slate has a podcast called The Afterword which comes out bi-weekly; each episode features a non-fiction book and a discussion with its author and they usually offer copies (sometimes signed) of the..."

I really like most of Slate's podcasts... Slate's Audio Book Club is a great monthly one (there's an old one where Stephen Metcalf takes Katie Roiphe down a peg or twelve on Eat, Pray, Love) and the Culture Gabfest also has good book recommendations from time to time.

Also, @Ann and Michael, you guys have been in my thoughts this week, what with Sandy and the Penguin/Random House stuff. I hope you guys are able to have a restful weekend to catch your breath!

message 11: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 767 comments Pamela wrote: "In the Podcast Episode #202, the Q&A in California, one of the questions that Ann & Michael addressed was in regard to what other podcasts they listen to and/or recommend. Their suggestions were l..."

you hit many of my favs,,,ger

message 12: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 767 comments let me include...Sword and laser for fantasy and science fiction.also the writers almanac and fuzzy typewriter.ger

message 13: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments Literary Disco is great. I found it because one of their hosts is Rider Strong of Boy Meets World fame. (Still love Boy Meets World!) I just downloaded Robin Kall's radio show, Reading with Robin, from her website, readingwithrobin.com. Her radio show is on from 7-8 am on Saturday mornings on 920 whjj AM radio (www.920whjj.com and also on iHeart radio, I think).

I also like Midtown Review (used to be The Better World Books podcast) hosted by Dana Barrett, Girls in the Stacks (awesome title), and Book Club Girl.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (CKubala) | 520 comments Mod
Many of the podcasts I listen to were suggested by Booksonthenightstand listeners. Here's a few I hope weren't mentioned"

The Next Chapter with Shelagh Rogers

World Book Club

Other People with Brad Listi

Free Library of Philadelphia

Reading & Writing Podcast

I've recently started listening to BookWorm which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Thanks for the list. I know I'll find some new ones here.

message 15: by nancy (new)

nancy (npjacoby) | 261 comments I wrote an entry to this additional podcasts thread..but it seems to be lost in the blogosphere. I said, I love the Slate Podcasts..and not
just the Audio book Club. The DoubleX podcasts are all great..
as well as Slates cultural and political gabfests..
..and don't forge the NY Times weekly Book Review podcast..
and Leo Laporte for all things tech. But, I agree with Michael, this is way too much when I'm trying to listen to a good book read by Simon Vance or Grover Gardner...

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauraroxie) | 16 comments The writer and the critic are an Australian pair that review speculative fiction and are very fun and insightful to listen to. Also, Bookfight, The Avid reader on WCHE, Booked.Podcast and BTR:Wordsmiten are good.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol (CKubala) | 520 comments Mod
Suzanne wrote: "Slate has a podcast called The Afterword which comes out bi-weekly; each episode features a non-fiction book and a discussion with its author and they usually offer copies (sometimes signed) of the..."

Thanks for mentioning this podcast. I've started to listen to the archives and am really enjoying the non-fiction book talking. Imformative and well done!

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather Rutledge | 7 comments Bookrageous is phenomenal!

message 19: by Crittergirl (new)

Crittergirl | 1 comments Another BBC one that I like which I don't think has been mentioned above is the Radio 4 Bookclub: - James Naughtie and readers talk to acclaimed authors about their best known novels. There is a good archive on there too. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/bc

message 20: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments I just listened to this week's podcast in the car, and I haven't been following this thread... I had a full on 13-year old fangirl freakout (complete with ear splitting screech) at the end of my road when Ann mentioned Rider Strong is one of the hosts. That was a jolt so early in the morning, let me tell you. I have to admit, I'm still all aflutter over it. Boy Meets World was my life when I was a tween, and I still love it. Oh my goodness, Shawn Hunter talking about books. I may not get anything done today.

message 21: by Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀ (last edited Nov 15, 2012 05:42AM) (new)

Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀  | 7 comments I have all the book podcasts that I enjoy linked on my blog-The Things You Can Read-
http://thethingsyoucanread.blogspot.c...

I have collected over 20 quality book podcasts on my site. Click on the link and listen!

BOTNS is still number one-in 2011, when I first found this podcast I went back and listend to every single episode!

Cynthia
The Things You Can Read

message 22: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i am now listening to literary disco thanks to ann's recommendation on this week's show. i like the format and the discussions are interesting and varied.

thanks ann!

message 23: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 9 comments Look people, where am I going to find the time for all this great stuff?!!!

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments Emily wrote: "Ugh, I hate to be this person, but you'd be surprised how much this butt-load of podcasts creates an impetus to go for a run, while listening to them on my iPod."

I use BOTNS and a couple of other podcasts as bribery to run (meaning I only get to listen to them when I run).

message 25: by Spenser (new)

Spenser Davis | 1 comments Loved seeing Other People with Brad Listi further up the list. Such a great podcast! He gets some great interviews, with both popular and lesser known authors. I highly recommend it.

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen Allen (TetaKnits) | 16 comments I enjoy Craft Lit: http://crafting-a-life.com/craftlit/

Heather does a wonderful job. This version starts with her crafting and some blather. Then she moves into some great background information about the chapter(s) for the podcast. Then, the chapter(s) is(are) read. Sometimes she comes "back on the flip side" to clarify.

For "non-crafters", Heather does a version called Just the Books - which is just the book discussion and reading portion: http://crafting-a-life.com/books/

The current book is Jane Eyre. The previous book was Gulliver's Travels (of which I understand a LOT more now!). There are 13-14 more books. All classics. And a few short stories.

Heather was an English teacher and professor and brings a lot of insight and background to the stories.

message 27: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments You may want to check out my podcast - Reading & Writing podcast - www.readingandwritingpodcast.com

Also, I created a list of 50+ book podcasts - http://pinterest.com/jeffrutherford/b...

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Slater (TracySlater) | 39 comments Thanks for these lists and suggestions, everyone! There are also whole bunch of free MP3s of authors reading at past Four Stories literary events at http://www.fourstories.org/events-pas.... MP3s include Andre Dubus, Joan Wickersham, Julia Glass, Jennifer Haigh, and more. Enjoy!

message 29: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 767 comments Most of the time I listen to the pcasts while working.Most get by very nicely.

message 30: by Becky (new)

Becky Yamarik | 73 comments Ann, you should listen to BBC's Books and Authors podcast from Dec 23rd. . . Colin Firth interviewed about his 5 favorite books. . . hearing his voice discuss The Sound and the Fury was just one of those 'experiences'. . . I felt like I was at a dinner party at Downton Abbey. . .

message 31: by Mona (new)

Mona Great list, everyone! I'm downloading a ton of backlisted episodes for these shows right now, plan on trying them out before subscribing.

My favorites are Bookrageous, The Readers, BBC Radio 4's Books and Authors, n+1, and one that I don't think has been mentioned yet, Reading the World (focuses on literature in translation, lots of interviews with authors, publishers, translators, etc.).

message 32: by Tom (last edited Jan 24, 2013 05:34AM) (new)

Tom | 4 comments I'm a fan of BOTNS and I hope this isn't too spammy, but I feel like it's okay because this post is specifically asking for recommendations. And anyway, I'd be doing a terrible job if I didn't also refer you to Book Fight, the podcast I host with Mike Ingram.

Our (much smaller) Goodreads group is here: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

And our site is here: http://bookfightpod.com

We post every monday. Every other week, our episodes focus on hour-long discussions of writing and reading using one specific book as the focus, and the other weeks we post shorter episodes answering listener questions about writing, reading, publishing, etc.

Mike and I are both authors, editors, and teachers, so we hope to offer a different perspective from some other book podcasts out there.

(thanks for mentioning us above, Laura!)

message 33: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4 comments Great-- hope you enjoy it, Emily. And thanks, everyone, for tolerating my promotional post above.

message 34: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2096 comments Mod
thanks, Tom! |I haven't yet had a chance to check out Book Fight, but I'm going to go add it to my stitcher feed right now.

message 35: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments Tom wrote: "I'm a fan of BOTNS and I hope this isn't too spammy, but I feel like it's okay because this post is specifically asking for recommendations. And anyway, I'd be doing a terrible job if I didn't also..."

I'll add to the Book Fight love. Mike and Tom are awesome!

message 36: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4 comments Thanks, Tracey and Ann!

message 37: by Amanda (last edited Jan 25, 2013 07:24AM) (new)

Amanda (amandamay83) | 2 comments Thanks to everyone for the suggestion of Literary Disco! As a former Boy Meets World fan girl*, I was sold at Rider Strong. I started listening to the innaugural podcast last night and I'm loving it.

*I come from a family of Boy Meets World fans. I stenciled a shirt for my brother with Mr. Feeney on it that said, "Feeney is my Homeboy.

ETA: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.... This is not my shirt, but the one I made is exactly like it. I think he still has it.

message 38: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments Amanda wrote: "Thanks to everyone for the suggestion of Literary Disco! As a former Boy Meets World fan girl*, I was sold at Rider Strong. I started listening to the innaugural podcast last night and I'm loving..."

Love it! Feeney!

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan Ritz (szritz) | 2 comments I recommend Write the Book, a podcast for Writers and Curious Readers with host Shelagh Shapiro. Though most of the interviews are with writers who live or teach in Vermont, many of them are international stars. Shapiro is a close reader who asks questions both about the book and about craft. Some of her interviewees have been Colum McCann, Kate Atkinson, Stewart O'Nan,Geraldine Brooks Carol Anshaw, Margot Livesy and Tracy Chevalier. You can find it on itunes or podbean.

message 40: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Just started listening to the Book Fight Pod, and it is great. I've listened to the most recent 5 episodes so far, and I can't wait to listen to more! I especially loved the Christmas episode- the discussion about Glenn Beck's book had me rolling on the floor- let me tell you, I got funny looks at the grocery story for that!

Also as a result of listening to the podcast, I bought the most recent issue of Barrelhouse, the journal that the hosts are editors for, and it was a great purchase- I especially loved the poem about Lemmy and the essay about Hipsters. I'll probably be grabbing some back issues soon, if they are available.

message 41: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (thefranklynn) Callie wrote: "Just started listening to the Book Fight Pod, and it is great. I've listened to the most recent 5 episodes so far, and I can't wait to listen to more! I especially loved the Christmas episode- the ..."

I also was laughing at the grocery store whilst listening to that episode! At least I wasn't alone... :) Looks like we can officially endorse that Book Fight will make you LOL in the cereal aisle.

Great podcast, Book Fighters. Thanks for the recommendation! Literary Disco is also great

message 42: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4 comments Great-- thanks Callie and Frankie! Next time I'm buying groceries, I'll keep an eye out for earbudded people who are laughing in the aisles, and I'll just assume it's you.

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 59 comments Callie wrote: "Just started listening to the Book Fight Pod, and it is great. I've listened to the most recent 5 episodes so far, and I can't wait to listen to more! I especially loved the Christmas episode- the ..."

Book Fight is hilarious. I just listened to their most recent podcast and loved it. Thank you for passing on the info.

message 44: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 767 comments Callie wrote: "Just started listening to the Book Fight Pod, and it is great. I've listened to the most recent 5 episodes so far, and I can't wait to listen to more! I especially loved the Christmas episode- the ..."
Just started listening to BOOK FIGHT but only two.After the first I almost gave them up but since they admitted to living in the Philadelphia area I listened to the next one and it was great.As long as they stay in their book discussion they should be good for me.

message 45: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (cwrites) | 3 comments I highly recommend Desert Island Discs, which is a BBC Radio 4 show that has been on since the 1940s. It features interviews structured around the 8 songs the guest would take to a deserted island. While it's not a book podcast, there are many authors featured such as Ian McEwan, Stephen King, and Kazuo Ishiguro to name a few. You can download it on iTunes or through their website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/...

message 46: by Len (new)

Len Edgerly (LenEdgerly) | 3 comments This is a fantastic collection of book-related podcasts. Thank you! My own weekly offering, The Kindle Chronicles might be of interest for those who read mainly on Kindles. Past guests have included Otis Chandler, Jeff Bezos, Nancy Pearl, and Margaret Atwood.

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I enjoy Literary Disco, especially when they are reviewing a particularly bad book. Adventures with Words is a podcast that is a bit like a British version of Books on the Nightstand. I also enjoy Books and Authors from the BBC.

message 48: by Chanda2426 (new)

Chanda2426 | 136 comments Book Riot is a great podcast. It's very reminiscent to BOTNS.

message 49: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 76 comments I just discovered Literary Disco and love it. Sometimes it is hilarious! I find myself laughing out loud while walking around my neighborhood listening to my iPod (yeah, the neighbors probably think I'm crazy).

message 50: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1 comments I listen to book club, world book club, the guardian books and book lust. Thanks for the suggestions will be adding more podcasts

« previous 1 3