UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Marc Nash
This topic is about Marc Nash
Past Live Events > Live Event with Marc Nash - Today at 7:30

Comments (showing 1-50 of 208) (208 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Lorraine (last edited Oct 29, 2012 10:24AM) (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments We have the pleasure to invite Marc Nash to our next live event.

Marc has joined us quite recently, but he's made himself known to all members, and we're pretty fond of him :)

So it's his turned to be quizzed and poked.

If you want to talk about his writing or his books, Live Event night is the night !

See you there !

*The thread will be opened on the night of the event*

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61383 comments Thread is open.

Over to you, Lorraine and Marc!

Break a leg!

message 3: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Hello, hello, testing 1-2, 1-2

message 4: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I'm here!

But my internet is dodgy so I'm not sure for how long!!!

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Thanks Patti. I've got the crutches & plaster of paris ready just in case

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments We'll be on in a minute... Wondering if Marc is around yet?

I'd like to welcome all the new members who maybe didn't know about this forum, but are very welcome to stay afterwards :)

Feel free to ask any question, and Marc should reply shortly. There is just one rule, please use the spoiler code for spoilers... Unfortunately I haven't finished Time After Time, and you'll meet my wrath if you give away the end !! :)

You may ask questions about anything, whether it's book-specific or about Marc's life.

I hope you all have a fun evening :)

Oh, and don't forget to refresh the page regularly, and to turn the page when you reach 50 posts on the page ! (I always forget so it's more to remind myself!)

message 7: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Lorraine, could you maybe tell us how to type the hide spoiler code? Thanks

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments Oh dear that was so crap. I just sent 2000 people a garbled message and a bad link.... Hope some of you made it here. Sorry!

message 9: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Oh lol took me so long to type my post I ended up arriving after you !

We'll just wait a few more minutes for more members... Who's there? Hi everyone !

message 10: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Just had to prevent my 14 year old son from trolling me on this chat. Sigh, the youth of today eh?

message 11: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3410 comments I'm here! Munchin' on my final easter egg (:

message 12: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Spoiler code is available from the (some html is ok) bit just above the comment box. It involves typing spoiler between a less than/more than symbols :)

message 13: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Lol @ Simon, thanks for the email anyway, hopefully they'll find us, we'll remain at the top of the new posts page :)

message 14: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Spoiler code is available from the (some html is ok) bit just above the comment box. It involves typing spoiler between a less than/more than symbols :)"

thanks.

Hi Katy and DD *waves*

message 15: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Marc wrote: "Just had to prevent my 14 year old son from trolling me on this chat. Sigh, the youth of today eh?"

Marc, that would have been so much fun !!

message 16: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Right, let's start slowly... Or maybe not.

Marc, can you improvise a little rap song about the event?

Thanks a bunch ! ;)

message 17: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Marc wrote: "Just had to prevent my 14 year old son from trolling me on this chat. Sigh, the youth of today eh?"

Marc, that would have been so much fun !!"

er no it wouldn't! :-0

message 18: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3410 comments Marc, if your son joins, I won't be the youngest person here! (as far as i'm aware...)

message 19: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Right, let's start slowly... Or maybe not.

Marc, can you improvise a little rap song about the event?

Thanks a bunch ! ;)"

Ok here goes

7.30 on the QT
Goodreads needs you to quiz me
on all tings books
and literary hooks
coming your way
let's get down an' play

message 20: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments i'm here too :)
tip for people - turn the thread upside down (click the word date so the triangle points up) and it makes it easier to follow

message 21: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Katy wrote: "Marc, if your son joins, I won't be the youngest person here! (as far as i'm aware...)"

he has the mouth of a 30 year old on him!

message 22: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Awesome Marc, thank you !!!

Right, everyone, fire the questions away !

message 23: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Thanks Kath for the tip !

message 24: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3410 comments Okay... so... are we starting? (:

Marc, who inspires you the most?

message 25: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Kath wrote: "i'm here too :)
tip for people - turn the thread upside down (click the word date so the triangle points up) and it makes it easier to follow"

hey Kath how are you doing?

message 26: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Hello,sorry I'm late!

message 27: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments What do your kids think of you being a writer? Have they read your books?

message 28: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Awesome Marc, thank you !!!

Right, everyone, fire the questions away !"

we need Jenny (Border Dweller) for the musical accompaniment!

message 29: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments just stuffed my face with crumble and clotted cream so i am very happy marc thanks :)

message 30: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "What do your kids think of you being a writer? Have they read your books?"

they've read the odd page here and there. Complain I use too long words. Reckon nobody would be interested in reading them. I should get a real job and buy them the latest console games. You know, the usual :-)

message 31: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Marc wrote: "we need Jenny (Border Dweller) for the musical accompaniment!"

Lol... does she do the beatboxing?

message 32: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Philip (sarah) wrote: "Hello,sorry I'm late!"

*waves*

message 33: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Katy wrote: "Okay... so... are we starting? (:

Marc, who inspires you the most?"

It tends to be musicians rather than authors. I don't really have a favourite author, more favourite books. I am a big Franz Kafka fan, but it's hard to admire him entirely considering the type of person he was. He asked for all his writing to be burned on his death!

message 34: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Marc, Katy's asking who inspires you the most :)

message 35: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Marc wrote: "we need Jenny (Border Dweller) for the musical accompaniment!"

Lol... does she do the beatboxing?"

That's what I'm thinking, but I think she's more into Classical music

message 36: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Kath wrote: "just stuffed my face with crumble and clotted cream so i am very happy marc thanks :)"

... (requires no further comment from me!) :-)

message 37: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3410 comments What made you decide to start writing? (: and what made you decide to publish it?

message 38: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Marc, Katy's asking who inspires you the most :)"

we've crossed posted. I can repeat it if that helps?

message 39: by Lorraine (last edited Nov 29, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Marc wrote: "
we've crossed posted. I can repeat it if that helps?"

Oh yeah DUH ! And I looked back as well ! There's bound to be one I miss lol ! Thank goodness you're on the ball !!!

message 40: by Marc (last edited Nov 29, 2012 11:46AM) (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Katy wrote: "What made you decide to start writing? (: and what made you decide to publish it?"

well I started writing poems/lyrics imagining I would be in a band, but that never happened. When I went to college I was on the point of walking out when I discovered theatre, student actors and directors, so i started writing plays and could get them put on at college and learn my craft. Carried on for 10 years after graduating, but when my twin boys arrived, I couldn't go out to network in theatres, so I started writing novels at home in between feeding them and changing nappies!

message 41: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Marc wrote: "
we've crossed posted. I can repeat it if that helps?"

Thank goodness you're on the ball !!!"

you say that now... :-) The night is yet young!

message 42: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3410 comments Where is your favourite place to write? (:

message 43: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments How did you end up working at the record shop, Marc, was it something you've always wanted to do?

message 44: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments one thing i like about your writing based on the one book i have read is that you follow very, very long sentences with short punchy sort of fragments (the ones that word underlines and says summat like fragment, consider revising) is this something you mean to do or does it just happen. if it is meant, is it to do with your lyrical musical background?

(hope that makes sense)

message 45: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Katy wrote: "Where is your favourite place to write? (:"

well I had a small study with a desk, but I've given that up to the boys (they share a bedroom, so this helps them have their own space). So I sit on my bed with my laptop on my, well lap, and type away. Not very glamorous I'm afraid.

But my flash fiction stories can strike me anywhere. I've written them in the bath, on the bus and London Underground, anywhere really. I keep a notebook on me at all times

message 46: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "How did you end up working at the record shop, Marc, was it something you've always wanted to do?"

Ha no! I was unemployable for anything else, so the record shop were the only people who would have me! I've been working 24 years and never worn a tie!

message 47: by Denise (new)

Denise Sparrowhawk | 14 comments Sorry I'm late - new to all this (and am generally always late for everything) So, hello and - have I missed anything?

message 48: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Hi Denise and welcome ! You've missed a few questions, and Marc's rap song, feel free to catch up, and do ask questions if you wish too, that'd be lovely :)

message 49: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Kath wrote: "one thing i like about your writing based on the one book i have read is that you follow very, very long sentences with short punchy sort of fragments (the ones that word underlines and says summat..."

It makes perfect sense. It's not consciously musical, though with a background in playwriting it is a language influenced by how its sounded. I tend to have quite a conversational style with the reader, it's a bit more chatty in some ways. I like my main character to try and interact with the reader as if they were in the same room together. This book a bit less so, because the relationship between 2 characters was at the heart of the book.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 8486 comments Evening all, I'm here too, bit late, just been reading thru the posts

« previous 1 3 4 5