Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Just for Fun > Judging a book by its title...

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 117 comments Have you ever bought a book because of its title? Or has there been a title that has really tempted you?

For me, I couldn't resist The Elegance of the Hedgehog. It's such an awesome title, I couldn't get it out of my head until I'd given in and bought the book!

message 2: by Joseph (last edited Oct 28, 2012 06:55AM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1823 comments Mod
One that caught my attention at a used book sale was Pope's Rhinoceros, The: A Novel. The cover caught my eye, too: Pope's Rhinoceros, The A Novel by Lawrence Norfolk. For the cheap price it was, I thought "Why not?"

message 3: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz I couldn't resist Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks and A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka... those were just too intriguing.

message 4: by Zonah (new)

Zonah | 2 comments Yes,nowaadys i've been reading The Night Caller and the title really tempted me and it really did grab my attention,i just grabbed the book and am having a happy reading!!

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 349 comments I have been known to pick up a book because of the title though it does not always lead to reading. I'm more apt to judge a book buy it's cover and read than by the title. If it looks like a book I would enjoy I go for it. Been burned a few times this way but everything can't be golden, right?

message 6: by Tee27 (last edited Nov 28, 2012 09:18AM) (new)

Tee27 Shannon wrote: "I have been known to pick up a book because of the title though it does not always lead to reading. I'm more apt to judge a book buy it's cover and read than by the title. If it looks like a book I..."

I can relate. Every so often, I'll buy a book based on it's cover, and wind up disappointed (sometimes).

Cool new avi, by the way. That expression is so true!

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Yes, and no. I've probably picked a book up because of it's title but I wouldn't buy it imply because of the title

We, the Drowned was the last title I can think of that attracted me. I liked the use of punctuation and the word 'We'.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 349 comments Tee27 wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Cool new avi, by the way. That expression is so true! "

Thanks! It really is. I had to put it up as soon as I saw it.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments Fiona wrote: Yes, and no. I've probably picked a book up because of it's title but I wouldn't buy it imply because of the title

Same here. I definitely have not bought a book simply because of the title, but I have definitely been drawn to a book by its title.

message 10: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Yes, The Night Circus. it drew me in immediately; i bought it, then read the reviews. I read it for myself and loved it.

That is what draws you in...the package. Just like with meeting a new guy/girl. You don't notice someones personality first, you notice them.

message 11: by Lea (new)

Lea (LeaDFW) | 215 comments Yonder Stands Your Orphan -- this one has gotten me THREE times! I buy it, read it, then promptly forget I've ever even heard of it!

message 12: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 408 comments The last time I bought books it was Sea Glass and Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay whose titles intrigued me enough to buy them.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 343 comments I have purchased used books at flea markets because I liked the title or the cover, usually books are cheap enough there it isn't to big a chance on spending to much on a bad book. But if I'm buying a new book then I have to know what it is about because I'm paying more for those.

message 14: by Audrey (last edited Jan 14, 2013 01:16PM) (new)

Audrey Cook Kolbek (audreykol) For me it was the title: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. The title was both a mouthful and intriguing, at least to me. Every time I was in the local used bookstore the book would taunt me with it's intriguing title. LOL Finally I bought it and loved it!
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley The cover is also interesting ...

message 15: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Love Among the Chickens by P.G. WodehouseLove Among the Chickens Any book with such a delightful title has to be inspiring!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

A title might catch my attention but I usually read the back or cover first.

message 17: by Lára (last edited Jan 29, 2013 12:45PM) (new)

Lára  Arnarsdóttir | 171 comments I usually ignore books with "cheap", popular titles. It's sad that 80% of books have similar or even exact name.

I don't read blurbs because they're annoying and mostly tell more than I'd like them to. Good Cover is a nice addition, but more times than not, nice cover means poor book.

Give me black cover without a title and no description at all and I'll read it.

message 18: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 117 comments Another title that got me interested was The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

message 19: by Joseph (last edited Feb 10, 2013 01:15PM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1823 comments Mod
Batsap wrote: "Another title that got me interested was The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake"
That was an interesting book. Kind of bizarre, but interesting.

message 20: by Huw (new)

Huw Evans (DocHuw) | 58 comments Whilst waiting for an appointment in the library I was attracted to Attack Of The Unsinkable Rubber Ducks. I had time to read the first fifty pages before appointment so had to borrow it on my way out.

message 21: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 154 comments Lea wrote: "Yonder Stands Your Orphan -- this one has gotten me THREE times! I buy it, read it, then promptly forget I've ever even heard of it!"

Lol

message 22: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 9 comments A title may spark my interest, but I never buy a book without seeing what it's about first

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rdflippen) | 17 comments Alondra wrote: "Yes, The Night Circus. it drew me in immediately; i bought it, then read the reviews. I read it for myself and loved it.

That is what draws you in...the package. Just like with meeting a new guy/..."

I didn't buy it bc of it's title, but not only did i read it, i also listened to the audio book, and just loved it!

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rdflippen) | 17 comments 5 Books that came to mind that I purchased just based solely on the titles were "Fingerprints of Armless Mike"; (3.5 stars of 5); Bleachy Haired Honky Bitch: Tales from a Bad Neighborhood-by Hollis Gillispie-short story memoriors - (5 of 5 stars-loved loved loved it!); The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime-Mark Haddon (also a 5 of 5 star book); and Captain Saturday by Robert Inman (4.5 of 5 star book-well worth reading for any gender)...and i'm sure i've more buried in the forgotteness closet of my mind. but these 5 highly attracted me to them bc of their quirky titles

message 25: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (Narshkite) Not sure if you are an Atlanta person, Rebecca so I will chime in and say you should get your hands on all of Hollis Gillespie's books, especially Confessions of a Recovering Slut and Other Love Stories. I am not sure how famous she is outside the ATL, but she is a comic genius, a smart person's Laurie Notaro.

message 26: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 408 comments Who could resist buying Zombies of the Gene Pool, not me!

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hogan | 8 comments i do :( but i shouldn't.

message 28: by Joei (new)

Joei Hossack | 50 comments I judged Crow Lake by it's title AND by it's cover. That's why it sat in my unread pile for years. When I finally decided either to read it or get rid of it - I read it. What a treasure. I couldn't put it down. I know I shouldn't but I do......Everyone comments on my "catchy" book titles - Everyone's Dream Everyone's Nightmare or How I Lost 3 Pounds in 30 years of Dieting Without Going Hungry being just a couple of them so I KNOW it's important. Joei at www.JoeiCarlton.Com