Five Point Someone Five Point Someone discussion

Don't you think that Chetan Bhagat does not go beyond his usual IIT dorm sex-love triangle-communal difficulties genre? Is he the modern Jane Austen?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 53) (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Meryl Old wine in the new bottle is just the term for him.

Shalu Dhar agreed.... very monotonous kinda......

Rahul Nath It seems like he is deliberately writing his newer novels with the goal of scoring a film adaptation in mind. This makes his books read like a cliched Bollywood storyline everyone has seen a thousand times already.

Also, I hate how in practically all his books, the guy and the girl have just gotten together and it's Wham Bam time already. There is zero difference in his lead characters and their girlfriends in all his books.

Shalu Dhar yeah..... all r too filmy i think

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It was sucking.
The worst book I've ever read.

Simran yea kind of. as an author of yongistan there are other aspects too about the youth now.

jordan yes. A great writer needs experiences. these people should get out of their apartments and see the life of outside world. then he can produce something substantial

Rahul Nath zorba wrote: "yes. A great writer needs experiences. these people should get out of their apartments and see the life of outside world. then he can produce something substantial"

Exactly. Five Point Someone is Bhagat's only decent book since he based it on his own experiences. Everything else shows his terrible lack of imagination.

jordan Rahul wrote: "zorba wrote: "yes. A great writer needs experiences. these people should get out of their apartments and see the life of outside world. then he can produce something substantial"

Exactly. Fi..."

now he is doing political columns in major newspapers where he fits the bill. it only requires gossiping sense and prejudiced or complacent attitude towards fellow being.

Kritika yeah i completely agree....his books are so similar..n the worst part is his description of the lead couple in the story as if the story is deliberately written to be woven into a bollywood movie.....

Rahul Nath Anyone else noticed how all of Bhagat's female leads are practically the same character?

And yeah, that scene in 2 States where his girlfriend makes the groom marry without dowry was so filmy and cringe worthy.

Dipson Prof. Cherian, keeps his office's keys and his car's key together,, car, which he doesnt use to go to office,, i think this part has been funny and forcefully created,,,,

Shubham Sharma we can not say that He is Worst.... but yeah.. his all books r like inspired from bollywood movies.....

Kritika Shubham wrote: "we can not say that He is Worst.... but yeah.. his all books r like inspired from bollywood movies....."

or he might jst write stories so dat bollywood movie makers can pick dem as their next film...............

Rahul Nath Thereby making him richer. Some people think he is good because you can get decent movies adapted from his books. But they are two very different things and writing a book with an eventual movie adaptation in mind harms the quality. And it shows.

Abdul Wahid Khan Its more that he tries to target the young 15-30 audience and tries to make fool of them by writing same thing again and again. He has become Akshay Kumar of comedy movies. He should come out of that and should write something else. I am sure youth will like it if its atleast something other than college-couple love stories.

Yogesh Rana yeah...completely agrees...all his books has the same story of sex and relationship between a boy and a girl

Dhandayutha He cant never be compared with jane austen.He is very much overrated mediocre writer.!

Sosha George His books show the life of almost all Indian students!
His books are like 'read and throw' kind!

message 20: by Nilima (last edited Sep 28, 2014 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nilima Pisharody Dont you think calling him Jane Austin is kinda lame, cuz admit it, Jane's books are classics and well written. And no one in their sane minds can say that his books will go down as 'classics'

message 21: by Nhasala (new) - added it

Nhasala his books are more of time-pass readings. i started with five-point someone and from personal experience, to some extent could relate to the book, but well his books are overrated and becoming more like chick-flick bollywood movies.

Karishma Destiny's Fav Child Whoever has dared with the audacity to compare Chetan untalented Bhagat with some one like Jane Austen has totally lost his mind to dogs! Jane Austen ....was..is and will always be unparalleled.PERIOD.

message 23: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose i guess we all have different opinions then huh?

i personally have noticed that usually all his books revolve around the same agenda of college romance or something similar.
but i don't think that's wrong or anything because if his books weren't nice then well...they wouldn't be made into movies...

the biggest hit "3 idiots" was based on HIS book "five point someone" and i personally loved it..

anyways i dont wish to argue about this but as a personal opinion i love his books :)

Parishrut awe...bite me..!! Jane Austen compared to Bhagat..!!

message 25: by Pooja (new) - added it

Pooja Kumaraguru Rose wrote: "i guess we all have different opinions then huh?

i personally have noticed that usually all his books revolve around the same agenda of college romance or something similar.
but i don't think tha..."

I love his books too.....ya..they are all the same...but still nice..

Keerthi yup! i agree with you.
but i loved two states

message 27: by Shaheen (last edited Dec 30, 2013 10:46PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Shaheen To achieve world class skill set you need to put in 10,000 hours of deliberate practice
- Talent Code

Chethan is yet to reach that mark , waiting for that day.

message 28: by Aman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aman Jassal I Agree I Agree I Agree

Priyank My debut novel "I Am Dead but My Heart Beats" is getting excellent reviews and 5 stars.... PLEASE , grab a copy of my novel soon... Its available online at HOMESHOP18, INFIBEAM, BOOKADDA, UREAD, SNAPDEAL...... Coming soon at FLIPKART, AMAZON.... Please grab your copy.... Link to order for my novel is given below
http://www.infibeam.com/Books/i-am-de...

Shilpika His writing depicts the new found freedom of youth. But unfortunately, he has seen just the darker side which is just as poor as himself.
Whereas the side he fails to see and depict is the new set of experiences, which reveals the new philosophical and intellectual side in todays modern youth.

jordan Shilpika wrote: "His writing depicts the new found freedom of youth. But unfortunately, he has seen just the darker side which is just as poor as himself.
Whereas the side he fails to see and depict is the new set..."

good one..

NikhilTheReader The Only Exception being 'One Night at the call centre' All of his Books Revolve around...
The story of an IIT-ian (Or someone aspiring to become one eg:- Gopal from Revolution 2020 )
And his love for a girl which he finds very hard to pursue but manages to have sex with her before the last page.

P.S:- 'One Night At The Call Centre' sucks. I won't recommend it to anyone.

Prerna Jane Austen? Really?

message 34: by Nhasala (new) - added it

Nhasala Shilpika wrote: "His writing depicts the new found freedom of youth. But unfortunately, he has seen just the darker side which is just as poor as himself.
Whereas the side he fails to see and depict is the new set..."

i agree. he doesn't get his characters involved into the kind of intellectual thinking this generation has, at least some of the youth have.

message 35: by Saby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saby How on Earth can anyone compare Chetan Bhaghat to Jane Austen?! The latter's works are classics. Incomparable. Please do read them. CB's novels are ok, readable on a train journey, can be made into Hindi movies, etc. But to compare them with Jane Austen's works sounds like sacrilege to me.

Prerna Saby wrote: "How on Earth can anyone compare Chetan Bhaghat to Jane Austen?! The latter's works are classics. Incomparable. Please do read them. CB's novels are ok, readable on a train journey, can be made into..."
Totally agreed!

Partho Chakrabarti Even you you leave aside the themes of his books (which in themselves are very shallow and lack imagination), I think his writing style and his command over the English language is at the best pedestrian. Leaves a very bad taste in you. I read a couple of his books just out of curiosity, but not going to read any more of his books. I am so done with him.

message 38: by Neha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Neha Ramdasi I have read 2-3 books of Chetan Bhagat.. I really liked his style of writing but only in this book which I find entertaining...

message 39: by Mradul (last edited Dec 17, 2014 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mradul He is not the same author he used to be. Every year you find a book written by him. The gravity and style is fading. Novella like "half girlfriend" is something you do not expect from him, HE SHOULD NOT BE WRITING FOR JUVENILES ANYMORE.That was past he did pretty well. But with time he must evolve as a true author and deliver a real treat. Enough with this IITs MELODRAMA as if only students from this colleges suffer immensely in the entire world.

Jasbir S Jagdeo Five Point Someone was good in the sense that it showed a side of India that was left untouched more or less till then. It seems that Chetan was imprisoned by its huge success. And the role of publishers must not be underestimated who always want a tried and tested formula even in literature!

Meera S
Chetan's books are good in the sense of entertainment. But not worth for a second reading or even second thinking about it.

Meera S
Guys, what about ' What young India wants"...?

Kritika meets young India wants is in nonfiction category n yes it's a nice one

message 44: by Ganga (new)

Ganga Biradar in revolution 202o, with some aspects chetan bhagat resembles jane austen and materialistic life of victorians...not all.

message 45: by Arun (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arun Ramachandran Chetan is a cinematic writer. His stories are perfect for a movie and thats why most of his books are becoming movies. What I expect from Chetan is such kinda stories. If he delivers that, then its ok for me and if he delivers more thats a bonus. Coming to his latest, 'Half GirlFriend', was just an average for me because that bottle for the old wine was not that good. :)

message 46: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Mathew Now that Chetan Bhagat is into Bollywood, he should be writing movie scripts, not books. What's the point in writing the same kinda story again n again?

Vignesh Narayanan yup... I hate his works and i hate him

Nasir Khan I used to be an ardent fan of CB. but then he was getting worse with each subsequent novel and The 3 Mistakes of My Life (2008) was where i reached my threshold ( it was my last CB novel). Five point someone is also very much "inspired " by Catch 22.

message 49: by Dhruv (new) - rated it 1 star

Dhruv Goel He may be monotonous like her but certainly not modern Jane Austen who had imeccable hold over language and smooth plots, very unlike what Chetan Bhagat writes.

Nirajan Shrestha I personally loved "Five point someone". But, he seems writing his novels having a mindset of adapting them into a bollywood biggie. His last few novels just revolves around college life and love-triangle. Almost the same kind of story.

« previous 1