Start by marking “Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT” as Want to Read:
Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT

Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  81,332 ratings  ·  2,154 reviews
Five Point Someone is a story about three friends in IIT who are unable to cope.

The book starts with a disclaimer, “This is not a book to teach you how to get into IIT or even how to live in college. In fact, it describes how screwed up things can get if you don’t think straight.”

Three hostelmates – Alok, Hari and Ryan get off to a bad start in IIT – they screw up the firs
Published January 1st 2011 by Rupa Publications (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Five Point Someone, please sign up.
Dazzla That the Indian education system is fatally flawed, concentrating on teaching pupils and students rote learning of facts and formulae which can be eas…moreThat the Indian education system is fatally flawed, concentrating on teaching pupils and students rote learning of facts and formulae which can be easily looked up in books or online rather than encouraging them to think, question and solve problems.(less)

·  81,332 ratings  ·  2,154 reviews

Start your review of Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT
Rhea Routray
The first time I picked up this book, it felt like I was going to do a great thing. Dad had warned me not to read it, but being the reader I am, I took him lightly. Until I found out the gross it contained.
I knew definitely that it was not the best book in the world, that too far from my preferred genres: I had been a non fiction and self help lover then. I read it when I was probably twelve. I hated the idea to read it but finally, I heard some news about it being adapted as a film when i read
Jyothi
Feb 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
I must confess, this book is utter crap! Its an insult to English language. Its even worse than those soppy mushy crappy juvenile novels that I've seen my teenage friends gushing over!Honestly, did Bhagat ever edit his book??? Perhaps he simply didnt have any idea of what to write.
Archit Ojha
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-we-own
Read this.

Enjoyed this.

But on the retrospection mode, I wonder what happened to the author. What started off as an amazing debut just turned into a different career story altogether.

When this book hit the stands back in the day, the craze was appreciable. Intelligently penned, fluent story-line and a captivating simpleton thought process.

This marked the beginning of the IIT inspired love pages circulating all around the country.

Some good, some poor.

But this one - was a remarkable debut! Ushered
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heard of the Three Idiots movie?

Yes, this is the book from which the movie got adapted. And yes, this book is really important in my country as it's one of the most read books in the country still as it lays the foundation of reading amongst the youngsters.

The book is good. I won't deny. This author marks an important part in my reading life too as I have read all of his books (the good, the bad and the ugly!) till date (both fiction and non-fiction).

I actually loved this book when I first read
Sharadha Jayaraman
Feb 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no-one-period
0.5-star Review:
Five Point Someone by Chetan Bhagat

I purchased this book a while back from a book vendor whose little shop by the streets is a part of an open circulatory library sort of thing in my city. What happens in this circuit is that you buy a book for a negotiable price and return it later at any date and time and get half the price back for it. I normally buy these books and retain them with me because they are some pretty awesome buys for the price I pay for them.

So, I was pretty exci
Mary Mahoney
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A good book should be written so that any age group can enjoy it. And although I'd say I'm older than Professor Cherian, I can remember waiting on test results and definitely having the decision to make about how many hours to study. Also, I've been on the other side of it giving assignments.

5 Point Something never really looks at what the purpose of the assignments and the learning are.
There has to be a purpose for learning the material and being in excellent range, other than being a mugger.
Vidyasagar Darapu
Aug 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
read this god forsaken book like a zillion years ago and still couldn't get rid of the sin that I have committed. Yes, it talks about IIT Delhi. And coincidentally I did go to college there. The book talks about a lot of places in IIT, the kind of people you meet and stuff and thats it.

As far as my understanding goes, engineering blood in India can be classified as people who either want to be in an IIT, or are already in an IIT or missed their chance to be in an IIT. So all that you have to do
Indian
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Picked it up out of curiosity, as I am myself a B.Tech student from IIT Kanpur, eager to learn how IIT Delhi was similar/different from my college.

Found it okie-dokie, but highly un-impressive. Must say, the writing style of american-teen novels (Agatha Christie/Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew) is much better than Mr.Bhagat's.

Why even the hindi-belt crime thrillers available at north-central India's railway/bus stations are much more lucidly written with a firm plot (like Wardi Wala Gunda etcetra)

Chetan B
Sanjay Gautam
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Another great piece of trash from CB. Just because I could relate, a little bit, with the college life depicted; and because of mentioning Pink Floyd at one place; that this book has earned one extra star.
Tani
Apr 23, 2018 marked it as the-nope-wagon
Based on the average ratings and negative reviews, I don't think I'll read it. I love " 3 Idiots " movie but I don't think the book has done any justice to the movie. Usually, the movies don't do justice to the books but in this case, it's vice versa.
Silversnow
Jun 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
It took effort! Real effort to give this 'immature diary entry' of a wannabe writer my valuable one star.

After such a long time I decided to review this book, just because my inner dedicated reader wanted appreciation for tolerating this horrendous piece of abomination in the name of literature.

Being an IITian or alumni of any other elite institute unrelated to literature for that matter, doesn't give you a license to write such books and throw it in the face of innocent beginners who think if t
Maninee
Aug 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is seriously overrated. I was in class five when I first read this book. Some of you might say that I was way too young to be reading such a book, but then we all need a break from kiddish stories once In a while in our childhood. I was in attending a school play (which was too long and pointless), when my eye caught this book in the hands of the girl next to me. She was definitely in class eight or nine. At that time the book was very, very popular since the movie was coming out and e ...more
Kushal Srivastava
Jul 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: toilet-paper
Utter garbage by any standard, this book is considered to polarize opinion among masses. People who have sanity left in them and have actually read some books before know that this is the stuff of toilet paper on the other extreme are dumb wannabe 'cool' guys who wanna put this trash onto their social networking profile column of books.
Venkat
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
The story revolves around three students at IIT Alok, Hari and Ryan. They are thick friends but do not have anything common attributes. Each character is different, have different objectives and strengths and weakness. The story is told mainly by the POV of Hari and it narrates their four years in IIT and how they overcome their weakness and obstacles but still stick together and graduate from IIT...

I just wanted to read the novel to see what similarities it has with the movie 3 idiots. It seem
Rebecca
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it
An Indian book! Like from India! This is something you would never find in the US. And it was even weird finding this book in New Zealand. It was about three friends with different goals and from different walks of life who all end up going to what is considered the “best university” in India. It’s something I can’t really relate to at all, but I know people who for them, this is the biggest decision of their lives. I don’t get it at all. And reading about it all, makes me so glad we live in the ...more
Vaiibhav Nigam
Feb 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I first read it a good six years ago and had loved it. Six years ago i also loved Himesh reshammiya music too.(got my point now) well, earlier i was not a avid reader but now i am a voracious reader and i can say that don't read this book at all, yes if you are new in your reading phase then you might try this title or any other Chetan Bhagat books ( though all sucks big time) but still there are tonnes of amazing books you can read and save your time and money, dont go by the buzz, It is no lit ...more
Disha Roy
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the muggers
Recommended to Disha by: shonjoy deb
From my very childhood i used to be a bright student. i used to study whenever i want and whatever i want. I was treated as a good student at my school as well as my college. But when i was supposed to choose my career at the graduation, i asked myself what i actually wanted to be. I knew what i wanted to be but no one was there to support me. even my parents also moved back. I wanted to be a corporate geek actually but my parents got me admitted at a dental surgery college forcefully and then w ...more
Shenanigan
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you are an IITian,or a product of any of the proffessional institute/college, you will probably relate very well to this light-hearted narrative about the life of three average guys at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (And if you are an IITian you would also know what “average” in IIT means). If you are not an IITian, you will still enjoy this book like a lot of my friendz who are not even techiez. Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT may be about life in IIT, but the characters ...more
Harsh Gopal
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ok... i thought i should write a review for this though i had read this pretty long back. Chetan Bhagat's first book and also his first book that i had read... the story doesnt stay with you. it just gets lost in the wild entertainment 'masala' that he puts into his books. personally i read a book for the joy of it and it would be really amazing when the author is able to create characters that does not seem like characters but real people who lives around you. CB miserably fails in that aspect. ...more
Ali
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read. Chetan Bhagat's first book , on which the famous movie 3 Idiots is loosely based. A must read for students vying to get to the best universities of their country. Especially current or former Engineering students would appreciate the writers perspective. The book is full of laughs and has a fair share of the emotional scenarios as well. Written from a point of view of aspiring Engineering students with hopes of a better brighter future. Chetan Bhagat's writing style especial ...more
Lakshmi Venkatraman
Jun 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
If you're severely constipated and stuck in the loo - Try this. Stay away if you're trying to look wise in front of your well-read girlfriend or if you enjoy good literature.
Naddy
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: indian
Good to re-read book again.
Julia
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
At the pressure-cooker of IIT (Indian Institutes of Technology)in Delhi, grades are everything--they literally determine your future. The closer your grade point average is to a full 10 points, the more "success" you will find in life. Or so goes the common wisdom. Hari, Ryan and Alok meet on their first day at IIT and instantly bond; but they find, to their horror, that after topping all their high school curricula and mugging (grinding) as much as is palatable, at IIT they can manage no better ...more
Andrew
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Chetan Bhagat is a hero for millions of India's middle class youth. He writes accessible (simplistic) stories which cleverly reflect the concerns of a generation on the cutting edge of India's rapid urban development. The pricing strategy that he deployed (95 rupees, about £1.20, was significantly cheaper then the market at the time) was a factor in the mass adoption and viral distribution of the book; it also reflected his former career as a banker.

Five Point Someone deals with the challenges
Ayushi
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Summary
The plot revolves around 3 IIT student dealing with all sorts of issues faced by the students (Romance, Drugs, Ragging etc) They try to deal with the education system and try to find a way out of it and they realize that they cannot.

RATINGS = 1.5* (and only because I found this worth reading and it holds a good spot on my shelves and also it was one of the very first books I read)

Review
I read this book when I was in class 9 (2008-09) and CB was one of the most spoken around in our sc
Hyderali
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This was my first Indian Book after reading Sidney Sheldons thriller books. I heard a lot about it from my friends & was skeptical to buy it because before this I read one indian as I can't remember (& better not to be) which diverted my mind not to buy any indian book because they don't know how to write & make a user hooked up.

But I must say I was pretty much impress with this book. Although, I don't know anything about IIT, not even meet anyone in real life but as chetan taken me through the
Ann Jacob
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it
While reading this book, I learnt one lesson. NEVER EVER watch the movie before reading the book. The movie messed up the book for me. Actually, I did not like the book itself much. I felt the friendship between the three guys a bit girlish. Girls usually talk behind the backs (Hard truth! I don't think I have :P). The only difference is these three guys did not say it outside. They kept it inside while girls usually talk to others about it. I felt so many parts a bit stupid. Maybe because of th ...more
Mourin Kibtia
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Okay first of all I would like to say this book is way different than the movie and I am kind of grateful for this as I didn't have to get bored. So anyways instead of just reviewing the book I want to compare it with the movie, the movie was good, it really was but somehow I could connect more with the book. The story was more realistic and less overwhelming. For starters the Ryan guy (Amir Khan's character in the book) is super smart but had the lowest GPA. And he seemed a little immature and ...more
Avik
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
Well, where should I begin? Errr...ummm....aaaahhhh....it's like...yeah, okay! Shoot...

Bhagat is the icon of confused India. The literary quality of his works are, at best, pedestrian. He induces cringe in me with his shoddy juvenile logic, slapstick humour and monotonously one-dimensional characters. It is as if he wants to get on top of Qutb Minar and yell "See, I am an IITian who can write too!!!". He is that dumb and pompous! He even aspires to become a columnist; who does he think he is? Ra
Samra Muslim
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Collage/Uni days are one of the best days of our life .... your are struggling, having fun, making lifetime friends and building your future ... ! The book does full justice through the story of Ryan, Alok and Hari .... and its really worth a read ! But to clarify the myth - 3 Idiots (the movie) might be loosely inspired from this book ... it is still fairly different story and both (the book and the movie) can actually be enjoyed in their true forms.

• I Too Had a Love Story
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • Can Love Happen Twice?
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
  • The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
  • Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
  • Of Course I Love You...! Till I Find Someone Better...
  • Anything for You, Ma'am: An IITian's Love Story
  • Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)
  • You Can Win: A Step by Step Tool for Top Achievers
  • Like It Happened Yesterday
  • Chanakya's Chant
  • The Krishna Key
  • Stay Hungry Stay Foolish
  • If It's Not Forever. It's Not Love.
  • Your Dreams Are Mine Now
Chetan Bhagat writes op-ed columns for English and Hindi newspapers, including Times of India and Dainik Bhaskar, focusing on youth and issues based on national development. Bhagat is also a motivational speaker and has given talks in leading MNCs and other institutions. He quit his international investment banking career in 2009, to devote his entire time to writing.

In 2008, The New York Times ca

News & Interviews

“I suddenly leaned forward,bringing my face close to hers.catching her breath,stifling that laugh and pink tongue,she watched me wide-eyed.I removed the wallet from my back pocket and sat down casually again.
"What happened?" I asked idly.
"I thought...never mind".She blinked.
Ha,gotcha”
23 likes
“smoke is beautiful; weightless and shapeless, it almost appears as deceptively powerless as the person releasing it, yet, it comes from within and rises above us all. Crap,” 4 likes