Rhea Routray's Reviews > Five Point Someone

Five Point Someone by Chetan Bhagat

Jun 04, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: what-did-i-think, worst-reads, oh-my-god-my-eyes, written-by-a-silly-writer, romance-doesn-t-work
Recommended for: No one

The first time I picked up this book, it felt like I was going to do a great thing. Dad had warned me not to read it, but being the reader I am, I took him lightly. Until I found out the gross it contained.
I knew definitely that it was not the best book in the world, that too far from my preferred genres: I had been a non fiction and self help lover then. I read it when I was probably twelve. I hated the idea to read it but finally, I heard some news about it being adapted as a film when i read it.
The story is anything idiotic: three friends in the prestigious IIT institute, they all experience the worst of their years as they unfold their problems.
Okay, so the protagonist was the most crankiest, stupid and idiotic person I have ever read in my life. So the whole thing was a snobbish thing for me. The girl who fell in love with him was anything but sane: she's the prof's daughter, so maybe I can understand. But still, a plot so naive and stupid, that too accompanied with a low degree of writing left me rolling on the floor, laughing at the publisher's decision to publish it. The boys broke into the office to leak the papers so that they could get some extra points for themselves. I mean seriously? They broke into the IIT's office and tried to leak papers like anything. It almost seemed like there was no security around the office. The boys have different motives for stealing the papers: that idiot Hari wants to steal the papers because he wants to impress the Dean so that he can get his daughter's hand and marry her. Alok wants to get through the exam and get good marks. Whereas Ryan just wants to have his set of adventure. I mean, these guys want to end their future literally because they want to get good marks? Who would think that? If it's fiction it doesn't mean you can write any crap.
It isn't fit to be called a book. Chetan Bhagat should consider joining English writing classes. Overall, I think this was the worst read ever. I won't recommend this to anybody. If you're going to read it, please don't read this book. I made a mistake, hope you don't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Point Someone.

Finished Reading
June 4, 2012 – Shelved
June 7, 2012 – Shelved as: what-did-i-think
June 7, 2012 – Shelved as: worst-reads
June 7, 2012 – Shelved as: oh-my-god-my-eyes
June 7, 2012 – Shelved as: written-by-a-silly-writer
June 7, 2012 – Shelved as: romance-doesn-t-work

message 1: by Rajat (new)

Rajat Pillai The novel that is making waves around the country, 'Chandragupta:Path of a Fallen Demigod' (NATIONAL BESTSELLER) is now on Flipkart and Infibeam. If your love a fast paced thriller and love Indian history/culture. This novel is for you.

message 2: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Khandelwal Great review! I too, like many others, felt the same. And that "chetan bhagat should join english laguage classes" couldn't be truer. similar review of this foolish, unworthy read, but it's so stupid, this book, I didn't even want to that. You saved me the trouble. You wrote all that I would've only more derogatory to the author.

message 3: by Sana'a (new)

Sana'a Abdul latheef Thank you for warning me. My classmates are obsessed with his books, even though some of them have read only Bhagat's books in their lifetime. I am a good reader myself and I prefer not to waste my precious reading time on this, if what you said is true.

Abhishek Thakur So you're still in school and you already know what people do or don't do in colleges- or even better, what they did or did not do in colleges in the 90s??
And you scoff at the publisher's decision- well this was a bestseller, wasn't it? And the reason it was a bestseller was because the language did not send anyone reaching out to a dictionary.
You should first understand what the author (or a filmmaker) is selling. If the delivery isn't keeping up with that promise then only one should go ahead with criticism.

message 5: by Tarun (new) - added it

Tarun Well said abhishek

Vishal Philip YOu are right. ITs an Idiotic book

message 7: by Audrey (new)

Audrey The books pretty bad but I think the movie based off it is pretty good and funny. The movie is called, Three Idiots, and it stars Aaamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor :)

Vishal Philip Yeah, Movie is one of the best movie in Bollywood. but only few theme is similar in movie. Even if they say that 3 idiots is based on this book, there is lots of difference in it

message 9: by Audrey (new)

Audrey True.
I loved the acting done by Aaamir Khan in Three Idiots!

Vishal Philip Audrey wrote: "True.
I loved the acting done by Aaamir Khan in Three Idiots!"

yeah, He was pretty cool in it. Am not a kind of person who likes Bollywood much. But 3 Idiots was Amazing

message 11: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Yeah.

message 12: by Resa (new)

Resa B Clearly you've never seen the movie The Perfect Score http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314498/

I have only read one of C.B.'s books so far, and I thought it was pretty good. I realise that most of the comments here are from Indians, and I think your criticisms are pretty harsh. Be proud of your countryman!

Vishal Philip @resa like I said earlier, Movie is one of the best movie in Bollywood. but only few theme in book is similar to movie. Even if they say that 3 idiots is based on this book, there is lots of difference in it. You could try his other books, 3 misttakes was Good onw. 2 States is filled with jokes, you wil enjoy it. Revolution 2020 is also fine.

message 14: by Readers (new)

Readers Cosmos Hi, if you love to read books and reside in India, Harper collins India is givingaway 100's of best selling copies ,incl signed copies by GulzarSahab via The Readers Cosmos. Chec here for details http://bit.ly/1a2UJtZ

message 15: by Rahul (new)

Rahul This is one of the best books i have read about chetan bhagat i also found that this books i salso available at India's no.1 books store BookChums @ http://www.bookchums.com/ebooks.php

message 16: by Neo (new)

Neo Stone Abhishek well said

message 17: by Rhea (new) - rated it 1 star

Rhea Routray I'm just speaking my mind. My criticisms are not based on which country the author belongs to or if he is an IITian. I'm being harsh, point noted, but don't you think it's high time authors stop pulling out boring books? Ok, granted chetan bhagat is an indian, so what? I like a lot of indian authors: amitav Ghosh, Ravinder Singh, Durjoy Datta, Amish, Arundhati Roy, and many more. And I'm serious about the english classes. I have said whatever i wanted o. I'm not going to concoct a story about CB being a good writer just to appease you guys!!

Anusha Verma Well this can not be categorized as a book ...its a Bollywood movie script . Chetan Bhagats target is not the readers rather the Bollywood cinema producers and directors. Do not even pick the book if u are looking forward to a good read.

Shobhit Sharad Couldn't agree more with the review.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Amazing review. I loved this. Haha

message 21: by Rhea (new) - rated it 1 star

Rhea Routray I guess I have incited a lot of hate towards chetan bhagat, so let me clarify: I do read indian authors. so please stop saying things like "you should respect your countrymen" etc, because if you go through my other reviews, you would know I do write positive reviews for indian authors. thanks :)

message 22: by Ryaan (new)

Ryaan If a book doesn't send you to the dictionary it's not worth reading. reading is knowledge knowledge is power

message 23: by Gautam (new)

Gautam Mohan ignoring every irrational criticism you put forth in this review, I wanted to ask you something. Do you really meant it when you said you like the novels written by Ravinder Singh? personally not a big fan of Chetan Bhagat but to write him off saying that he is inferior to the likes of Ravinder Singh is a bit too rude and irrational.

message 24: by Abhishek (new) - added it

Abhishek Hamal I guess you should go ahead and write a book yourself and know what it takes.

message 25: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Thanks for the synopsis. Ill remove the book from my list. XD