The Next Best Book Club discussion

Personal Reading Goals > Allison's 2009 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Allison (last edited Mar 12, 2009 11:07PM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I think I might shoot for 200...but maybe just 150. We'll see.

So far this year...

1. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
2. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
3. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
4. Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
5. Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
6. The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
7. Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon
8. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
9. The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig
10. The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig
11. The Seduction of the Crimson Rose by Lauren Willig
12. The Temptation of the Night Jasmine by Lauren Willig
13. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
14. Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris
15. Club Dead by Charlaine Harris
16. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris
17. Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris
18. Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris
19. All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris
20. From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris
21. Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger
22. Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas
23. It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas
24. Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas
25. Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas
26. Thornyhold by Mary Stewart
27. Shadow Music by Julie Garwood
28. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
29. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
30. On a Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens
31. Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
32. Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
33. Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner
34. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
35. Lady Audley's Secret by M.E. Braddon
36. One For the Money by Janet Evanovich
37. Two For the Dough by Janet Evanovich
38. Three To Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich
39. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
40. Four to Score by Janet Evanovich
41. High Five by Janet Evanovich
42. Hot Six by Janet Evanovich
43. Seven Up by Janet Evanovich
44. Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich
45. To The Nines by Janet Evanovich
46. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
47. Ten Big Ones by Janet Evanovich
48. An Assembly Such as This by Pamela Aidan
49. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
50. Eleven on Top by Janet Evanovich

YAY...50 Down! I think I'll keep these in groups of 50 so it'll be easier for me to look through later.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) How do you do it Allison?

*bows to the puppy*

message 3: by Allison (last edited Mar 27, 2009 06:09AM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) mkay...here is the next 50 (or...will be):

51. Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich
52. Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich
53. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
54. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
55. Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
56. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
57. The Falcons of Montabard by Elizabeth Chadwick
58. The Stand by Stephen King
59. Tell No One by Harlan Coben
60. Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich
61. Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati
62. A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught
63. Frederica by Georgette Heyer
64. The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
65. The Game by Diana Wynne Jones
66. Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn
--

message 4: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments WOW!!! Great Job...You inspire me to keep going when I feel overwhelmed by my TBR List. :~)

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) :-) mine is mean. the books keep falling out of the bookcase they're shoved in.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Exactly. I want to know her secret !

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Well, there are several factors.

1. I'm trying not too watch much TV...I used to watch a lot. That is several hours a week of reading that I didn't do before.

2. My husband started a new job at the beginning of the year, and he has been traveling for training a lot, but that is about to slow down, so my reading will too.

3. I like to go out and do things with friends on weeknights, but on the weekends I like to be a homebody, so I read basically all day Saturday and all afternoon Sunday.

See? Its not me, its how things have been so far this year.

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) PLUS...a lot of those books were short. Just not Outlander.

message 9: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Oh.My.God. You are a reading machine!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) wow, you read fast.

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I think I must be a freak :*(

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I don't watch much TV either, but I've only read 1/2 of what you've read. I also don't go out at all, I'm a TOTAL hermit.

I just have this addiction to Goodreads, see? It's a total black-hole, and it's especially hungry for all of my free time!

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Allison, if it makes you feel any better, one of the gentlemen on my friend list has already read about fifty-five or so books this year. He really must not sleep...or eat...or work...

message 14: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
55 books this year? thats more than one a day!

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) That's crazy!

message 16: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments He reads multiple books at a time at over 100 pages each per day. At least, that's what he claims. I've never seen anyone beat him in number of books read. It's staggering.

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Um...wow. I prefer at least a couple hours of sleep a week, lol.

That is nuts!

message 18: by Hollis (new)

Hollis (hdow) | 347 comments ''He reads multiple books at a time at over 100 pages each per day. At least, that's what he claims. I've never seen anyone beat him in number of books read. It's staggering.''

Is this me you're talking about? I'm just guessing. Basically, I have a non-fiction book and a fiction book and I read 100 pages from each in my spare time. I'm not actually trying to read as many books as possible but it does so seem to add up.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) She was talking about the gentleman on her friend list that reads 500 books a year.

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I think if I didn't have children I MIGHT be able to do that. I know when I was younger, I always, always had my nose in a book, but now... GRs (ironic isn't it?), work, soccer, dinner, laundry... where does the time go? I think I will be happy if I can do half of what you do.

Allison-SUPERWOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 21: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I'm not superwoman, I just don't have kids :-)

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I don't have kids either... but I haven't read 34 books in a month and a half. :\

message 23: by Allison (last edited Feb 17, 2009 11:05AM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Well, I haven't read a lot of classics this year either...most of the stuff I read is all fairly easy to get through...

I mean like...the Sookie Stackhouse books? Those take like 2 hours to read. Nothing.

I plan on reading The Stand, Bleak House, and Les Miz pretty soon...so I'm pretty sure that will slow down the total :-)

message 24: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Yeah, I'm actually getting kinda pumped to read The Stand...I got it on BookMooch, it is on its way. I'll probably start as soon as I can after I get it.

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) What is that series he does? Dark Materials or Dark something right? Have you started those? I figured if I like The Stand that would be next, Stephen King-wise.

I don't know what edition it is, people never send the edition they list up on BookMooch. I made her tell me how many pages it was so I'd know it wasn't abridged though.

message 26: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 17, 2009 11:58AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Fiona wrote: "The Dark Tower - I have the first book of that and maybe the second or the third one I can't remember.

I want to read IT next, or mayby The Shining."

The only copy I have of "IT", I can't read. I picked up the copy free at a military thrift shop on the base I was stationed at in Germany 20 years ago. So my copy is in German! lol (If memory serves, it's titled "SIE" in German)

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I used to never even consider reading Stephen King, funny how GR makes you branch out.

I'll be interested to see how you like It/The Shining.

What are you going to read next, though?

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I read absolutely EVERYTHING King has in print. I even subscribe to a magazine just for his monthly article, but I have to admit, The Dark Tower series is not my favorite.

message 29: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Thats cool, when you have this many books piled up its hard to choose. (P.S. choose Shadow of the Wind)

I actually feel intense pressure in picking a book now, its ridiculous.

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I like it when you give us titles. We can look them up and make an informed reccomendation;)

message 31: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments I have read everything except THE DARK TOWER series by King. The latest ones I have read are DUMA KEY, LISSEYS STOREY, THE STAND, and one of my favorites is CELL.

message 32: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) oooo, job interviews are crap whether you want the job or not. Yuck.

...I'll stop bugging you now about SotW, because it really IS a book you need to be in the mood for, I think.

message 33: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Hollis wrote: "Is this me you're talking about? I'm just guessing. Basically, I have a non-fiction book and a fiction book and I read 100 pages from each in my spare time. I'm not actually trying to read as many books as possible but it does so seem to add up."

Yup, it was you.

Hey, face it, Hollis. You are a machine. ;)

message 34: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I love how he says "it does seem to add up."

Yeah. It kinda does.

You're the man.

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Allison, you have to read Salem's Lot by King before you tackle the Dark Tower series. His books like to "mingle" together.

If you have that one already, Salem's Lot is our group read in the Stephen King Fans group. Should be interesting... our other discussions have been so far, right Kandice?

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) The Shining is another must-read by King. Definitely recommend that!

message 37: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) lol...hope I like him then! Never read anything, but I should get The Stand in the mail any day now.

message 38: by Kandice (new)

Kandice That's an understatement;) I was so glad to find this site since none of the "real" book clubs in my area fit in my schedule, but sometimes, I feel a little...overwhelmed by it too.

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yeah, I like the diversity of GR, too... I'm always afraid that real live bookclubs will be stuffy and uninteresting. We have some lively conversations here!

message 40: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I'd take you guys over any face-to-face book club anyday. :)

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Aww! *blush* Ditto!

message 42: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ditto the ditto!
xo
(isn't today just a sweet day?)

message 43: by Hollis (last edited Feb 18, 2009 09:37AM) (new)

Hollis (hdow) | 347 comments ''I have read everything except THE DARK TOWER series by King. The latest ones I have read are DUMA KEY, LISSEYS STOREY, THE STAND, and one of my favorites is CELL.''

I didn't like CELL to be honest: it started well but kind of fell apart near the end. Maybe the ending just completely went over the top of my head. DUMA KEY was good though: definitely a return to form.

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hollis, I 100% agree with you about Cell. I thought the idea was great, and the beginning of the book in all its fantastic chaos was great, but then it just went downhill and wasn't great anymore.

message 45: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I read Cell and listened to it. I have to say, I was not quite as irked by the ending when listening. The idea WAS great, but it was almost like he ran out of steam. Some of King's endings are purposely left to the readers imaginaton, and they are understandable, but this one was just too... not there. I still enjoyed reading it, and will probably read it again, but I will expect the let down.

message 46: by Hollis (new)

Hollis (hdow) | 347 comments ''Hollis, I 100% agree with you about Cell. I thought the idea was great, and the beginning of the book in all its fantastic chaos was great, but then it just went downhill and wasn't great anymore.''

I was so disappointed because the start was kick-ass: zombie girls and planes crashing, pretty awesome. Like a souped-up version of Resident Evil. The last third of the book I lost the plot and didn't understand what the hell was going on: I felt like I was reading a first draft rather than the finished thing. Loads of zombie-freaks reading minds and going ''Fo-fo-no-no''. Then the ending was lame. I thought it might just be me so I gave it to my brother: he agreed with my assessment and he couldn't even be bothered to finish it because it deteriorated so badly at the end.

message 47: by Allison (last edited Feb 19, 2009 05:28PM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I looked around this morning...and absolutely none of the 100+ unread books I have looked good at the moment, so I hit the library up. I got Jurassic Park, The First Man in Rome...and I was going to get The Loop, but it was checked out so I got The Divide instead.

I also requested Howl's Moving Castle and Graceling via interlibrary loan.

message 48: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I added Lady Audley's Secret and One For the Money.

Now I'm starting Jurassic Park!

message 49: by Kandice (new)

Kandice You are going to love JP. Let me know what you think as you go. (please?)

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Allison wrote: "Now I'm starting Jurassic Park!"

Ooh! I just read that and I really enjoyed it! I hope you like it! Keep us posted!

« previous 1