Best Teen Books discussion

Fiction with a Romantic Plotline

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Jul 26, 2009 10:36AM) (new)

Rachael (rprensner) I detest "romance novels," but I must admit most of my favorite books have romance in them. Think "Mara, Daughter of the Nile" or "Beauty" by McKliney. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

message 2: by Alexandra (last edited Dec 27, 2007 07:07AM) (new)

Alexandra These are strict romances, but have a romance at the forefront, both are fairy-tale like fantasies:

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
Stardust by Neil Gaiman

message 3: by Atomicgirl (new)

Atomicgirl | 11 comments How to Take Ex Out of Ex-boyfriend is a clean YA romance. Author is Janette Rallison.

I'm not sure if you'd be interested in The Breakup Bible as it focuses on the end of a relationship, rather than the start of a possible one. Author is Melissa Kantor.

message 4: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) I read The Perilous Gard forever ago and loved it- that was bck when I was into fantasy. HOwever, it still has a placed somewhere on my list of favorite books. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll take a look at SXtardust.

message 5: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments The Twilight books by Stephanie Meyer.
I love Sarah Dessen books especially This Lullabye.
Plain Truth and The Pact by Jodi Picoult.

message 6: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Both of Geraldine Brooks' books, The March and Year of Wonders are wonderful romances but also historical fiction.

Lisa (Elizabeth) | 7 comments As Simple As Snow. Definitely for the older YA crowd, if not adults. There is sex in it but no descriptions of it, we just know that they have it. Much more about the development of a very unlikely romance with a tragic end. Loved it.

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg | 5 comments Granted it has been a while, but i don't recall much romance in Year of Wonders, just a bit of a romatic scandal towards the end. great book though.

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg | 5 comments Looking for Alaska if you haven't allready read it. It's absolutely cheese free and while it's more about friendship teatering on romance than a striaght up love story, I still think it fits.

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg | 5 comments HOLY MACKREL! Can't belive I almost forgot Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Great Teen romance almost a bit to ideal but a fun read. (no sex obsession but a fair share of the profanity).

Also, Hard Love is pretty good- i don't remeber any it being overly sexified but it's been a while. It does deal with a same sex realtionship (don't know if you would find that too controversial). Overall a descent read.

message 11: by Karee (new)

Karee | 4 comments I'd have to agree with the people that said
- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. It has alternating chapters from both Nick and Norah's POV's. If you haven't read it, I definitely recommend it.
- Twilight, etc, by Stephenie Meyer is also a great read. It's fairly popular though, so I assume you've probably alreay read it or at least heard of it.
- Anything by Sarah Dessen. Especially my favourites This Lullaby and Just Listen. They are AMAZING. I think they perfectly fit your description: romance at the forefront, but having a plot and not being cheesy.

Also I'd recommend:
- On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
- Finding Cassie Crazy (which I think has now been released with the new title 'The Year of Secret Assignments', or something similar) by Jaclyn Moriarty.

All of which are some of my favourite books. :)

message 12: by Meg (new)

Meg | 5 comments i heard they're making a movie out of nick and norah and micheal cera (arrested developemnet, superbad, juno) who i adore, is going to star in it. sounds pretty great, hope it's not a let down.

message 13: by Karee (new)

Karee | 4 comments I heard that too, Meg! Scheduled for the end of the year / start of next year, depending on where you live. I really like Michael Cera, in fact I came across the news from looking at his IMDB.com page. I hope it's not a let down either, but even if it is, the book will always be good.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Deb Caletti! She's a great young adult author. Her books The Nature of Jade and Wild Roses have the most romance, but really all of her books are great reading. She has a new one out soon.

message 15: by Reggie (new)

Reggie Lannigan (AFewVenialSins) | 1 comments I like Michael Cera, but am I the only one that pictured a scruffier, edgier Nick?

message 16: by Caitlín (new)

Caitlín (Ink Mage) (inkmage) | 9 comments This is the only kind of romance I really enjoy, too! So here are some that I think you may like:

No Shame, No Fear and Forged in the Fire by Ann Turnbull
A Quaker girl falls in love with a boy who is not a Friend during the 1700's.

Crown Duel (originally published as Crown Duel and Court Duel) by Sherwood Smith
Political intrigue and duels with words.

Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharron Shinn
A self-centered girl grows up and realizes the wrongs of her (fantasy) culture.

An Earthly Knight by Janet McNaughton
A retelling of The Balled of Tam Lin.

The Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley
A kingdom gone wrong with two talented people who must save it.

The Hollow Kingdom, Close Kin, and In the Coils of the Snake of The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy by Clare B. Dunkle
Goblins, elves, and humans during nineteenth-century England.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (trmite) I am the Messenger, An Abundance of Katherines, Hard Love and Incantation.

message 18: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (booksandbows) | 17 comments Nick and Nora's infinite playlist is AMAZING. It is the sweetest love story ever. An Abundance of Katherines and Looking for Alaska are also great choices. Right now I am reading Morning Gift by Iba Ibbotson (I think that how you spell her name) and it is wonderful as well.

message 19: by jamie (new)

jamie (jmelauren) Going Too Far
Leaving Paradise
Willow
Wake
Smart Boys & Fast Girls

hate to repeat, but you must read Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
(I thought Michael Cera was a perfect Nick. Adorably dorky.)

message 20: by Tami (new)

Tami (tami317) | 1 comments I really like Something Borrowed by Cathy Hapka. It was a cute romantic comedy novel, not over the top. I think teen girls would love it.

message 21: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Elizabeth Scott books, Bloom, Perfect You and Somthing Maybe are enjoyable romances.

message 22: by M (new)

M (crashingcars) | 3 comments Anything by Sarah Dessen.

message 23: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) Malissa wrote: "Anything by Sarah Dessen."

I think I would have enjoyed her when I was younger, but I find her too fluffy for me now:-)

message 24: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) Janis wrote: "These are not strict romances, but have a romance at the forefront, both are fairy-tale like fantasies:

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
Stardust by Neil Gaiman"

Since "The Perilous Gard" had been one of my all-time favorites for a while I searched for months for "Stardust and was elated when they got it at my library. Not a favorite but I did enjoy its fairytalish feel.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna | 47 comments What about the Pretty Little Liars series?