Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

I, Jedi (Star Wars)
This topic is about I, Jedi
Policies & Practices > Series listings: was there a change in format?

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (last edited Oct 15, 2012 08:44PM) (new) - added it

Kyle (emperor799) | 9 comments A large number of Star Wars novels have been edited to include "Star Wars:" at the beginning of the title listing. Has there been a change in practice or should these still be listed as the given title with the series listed as Star Wars and any given subseries also listed and numbered as usual?

a few quick examples, though there are many that have been changed:
Star Wars: Deceived Star Wars: Shatterpoint

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32443 comments Mod
Kyle wrote: "Series listings: was there a change in format?"

No. Those two both need fixing.

message 3: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle (emperor799) | 9 comments Well then dozens and dozens need to be fixed and someone that can pull rank needs to investigate the changes and nip it in the bud.

I've already fixed them all once. :(

Mike Briggs (MikeBriggs) | 187 comments I'm not sure if the two threads are in conflict, but as the question was brought up in two different sections of this group with different participants, I figured I'd include a link to both threads:

Series listings: was there a change in format?
Managing the Star Wars Series

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve | 13 comments Hey Mike, thanks for pointing me over here because, as you pointed out, it's kind of the same discussion.

So what is the generally accepted naming convention? Should it include Star Wars or should that be left to the series and the title should just be the subtitle? I see both and I don't really care which way it goes as long as it's consistent.

message 6: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle (emperor799) | 9 comments I couldn't find the thread, but I was worrying about the same stuff in ~2009 and was told to do it like this: Dynasty of Evil (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #3). I then updated every star wars novel to reflect that convention, but I've been away for about a year and it seems a lot of them were edited for some reason, there aremultiple general star wars series listings, and one of tose listings might include every type of book, when the novels, comics, non-fiction "guides", and gaming reference material used to have separate series listings on goodreads, making it easier to actually browse by series.

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve | 13 comments Ok so just subtitle. There's a lovely discussion on how to structure the series over on the other thread should you care to join us over there.

message 8: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Kyle wrote: "I couldn't find the thread, but I was worrying about the same stuff in ~2009 and was told to do it like this: Dynasty of Evil (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #3). I then updated every star wars novel to re..."

Click on the following link...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments I thought only books that had no title other than series name and volume (like most manga) had series name in title?

message 10: by Lacrima_Atra (last edited Dec 04, 2012 09:16AM) (new)

Lacrima_Atra | 98 comments The librarian manual says the following:
"If the book is part of a series, that information may be included within parentheses following the title. The standard accepted format on Goodreads is as follows: (Series Name, #_)"

Here's a link which explains the title/series conventions more thoroughly: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 11: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 1099 comments Lacrima_Atra wrote: "The librarian manual says the following:
"If the book is part of a series, that information may be included within parentheses following the title. The standard accepted format on Goodreads is as ..."

Yes, unfortunately, I *think* that the manual was never formally updated after the series option was added on GoodReads.

So, while we can do this now, most do not and simply add the book as title only and then add it to the correct series without adding the series to the title field.

Some books still have the series name in the title field and some have been edited out. My personal rule of thumb is that if I add a book manually, then I do not include the series in the title, but if the book exists and has it in there already, I leave it as is.

message 12: by Lacrima_Atra (last edited Dec 04, 2012 09:32AM) (new)

Lacrima_Atra | 98 comments The thing is, if you add a book to a series, the series information will automatically show in the title on the book page, but not in your library, which is why some people still add the series information to the titles as well.
(That said, it has been a while since I edited serieses, so possibly things have changed.)

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be a consensus about series information in titles. As far as I know it's not necessary, but still accepted.

message 13: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 1099 comments Lacrima_Atra wrote: "The thing is, if you add a book to a series, the series information will automatically show in the title on the book page, but not in your library, which is why some people still add the series information to the titles as well."

This is still true.

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 386 comments Also the book won't show up in a search of the series unless the series name is in the title field.