Bookworms Unite! discussion

Monthly Group Reads > A Song of Ice and Fire series

Comments (showing 1-50 of 289) (289 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
I was thinking that starting in January, we'd start the first book in the series, and so on for future group reads until we've read them all. What does everyone think about this idea?

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee (LeeShirk) | 101 comments Holly wrote: "I was thinking that starting in January, we'd start the first book in the series, and so on for future group reads until we've read them all. What does everyone think about this idea?"

I have been wanting to read this series, but hadn't started it yet. I would be up for it.

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Lee wrote: "Holly wrote: "I was thinking that starting in January, we'd start the first book in the series, and so on for future group reads until we've read them all. What does everyone think about this idea..."

Awesome, Lee. I've been wanting to read it for some time as well, and I thought doing them as group reads would get me motivated.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Great idea! I've already read #1 and have been wanting to read #2 soon. So I'm ready when you get to #2. :)

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Great idea! I've already read #1 and have been wanting to read #2 soon. So I'm ready when you get to #2. :)"

Sounds great, Kathy! That'll be the group read for Feb. 2013.

message 6: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 1195 comments Mod
Wow, fantastic idea, Holly! I've read up to book V, A Dance With Dragons, and I've been wanting to re-read them in preparation for this one. It's just too bad that #6 is slated for publication until 2015..:(

message 7: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (Stefan31) Hey there! Newb to this group.

I too need to pick this series back up starting at #2. I'll keep an eye out and may join in with that installment as well.

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Stefan wrote: "Hey there! Newb to this group.

I too need to pick this series back up starting at #2. I'll keep an eye out and may join in with that installment as well."

Great!

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Dustin wrote: "Wow, fantastic idea, Holly! I've read up to book V, A Dance With Dragons, and I've been wanting to re-read them in preparation for this one. It's just too bad that #6 is slated for publication unti..."

Thanks Dustin! I've been wanting to read this series for some time,and thought this would be a good idea.
What a bummer.....:(

message 10: by Dustin (new)

You're always welcome. Have I told you that this is one of my favorite series, 2nd only to DT?

Yeah, let's just hope it doesn't take nearly that long...:)

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
No, you haven't; that's fantastic! Now I really can't wait to start reading this series!

Yes, let's hope!

message 12: by Dustin (new)

I think you'll really like ASOIAF a lot, Holly! Though like many others have said before, there are plenty of characters to keep track of, but I once you get used to them, it isn't really problematic. At least, I didn't find it that way.

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
I've heard that. I don't think I'll find it problematic; I like multiple character novels. :)

message 14: by Dustin (last edited Oct 11, 2012 12:16PM) (new)

Holly wrote: "I've heard that. I don't think I'll find it problematic; I like multiple character novels. :)"

As do I!

I've found that reading from one character's POV can get a little tedious at times. And in these books, each chapter is named after the character that it's seen through. I love that!

message 15: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Dustin wrote: "Holly wrote: "I've heard that. I don't think I'll find it problematic; I like multiple character novels. :)"

As do I!"

Hehe; we sure do have a lot in common.

message 16: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Dustin wrote: "Holly wrote: "I've heard that. I don't think I'll find it problematic; I like multiple character novels. :)"

As do I!

I've found that reading from one character's POV can get a little tedious at ..."

That sounds so awesome! Oh, I can't wait to start this!

message 17: by Dustin (new)

Holly wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Holly wrote: "I've heard that. I don't think I'll find it problematic; I like multiple character novels. :)"

As do I!"

Hehe; we sure do have a lot in common."

That's for sure!

It is awesome, IMO! I'm so happy for you!

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Dustin wrote: "Holly wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Holly wrote: "I've heard that. I don't think I'll find it problematic; I like multiple character novels. :)"

As do I!"

Hehe; we sure do have a lot in common."

That'..."

Thank you. I'm so happy I thought of this; LOL

message 19: by Dustin (new)

You're welcome. I'm ecstatic that you thought of it, too!

message 20: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Holly wrote: "I was thinking that starting in January, we'd start the first book in the series, and so on for future group reads until we've read them all. What does everyone think about this idea?"

I am on to Book 4; but will try to participate in all discussions. This series will get you hooked. So if you have not read it, be prepared.

Do not let the size of the books fool you; it is non-stop from GO! You will remember each and every character and realize that old George doesn't mind knockin' 'em off... I love this series!!

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I completely agree, Alondra! The books go so fast! Th size means nothing!

message 22: by Dustin (new)

Yeah, Martin reels you in almost instantly, and you MUST keep going! They're highly addictive, and the pages just fly by!

message 23: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Dustin wrote: "Yeah, Martin reels you in almost instantly, and you MUST keep going! They're highly addictive, and the pages just fly by!"

addictive, but i am really trying to hold out reading book 4. book 6 is not due until like 20142015. How can i wait that long!!?? trying to hold out on book 4 until christmas or right after new years... we will see.

Kathy wrote: "I completely agree, Alondra! The books go so fast! Th size means nothing!"

*sees books whizzing by*.. :O

message 24: by Dustin (new)

Alondra wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Yeah, Martin reels you in almost instantly, and you MUST keep going! They're highly addictive, and the pages just fly by!"

addictive, but i am really trying to hold out reading book..."

Oh, but the wait is sooo worth it, IMO!

message 25: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Dustin wrote: "Alondra wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Yeah, Martin reels you in almost instantly, and you MUST keep going! They're highly addictive, and the pages just fly by!"

addictive, but i am really trying to hold ..."

oh, i think so too... someone should light a match under his chair to make him write faster...

message 26: by Dustin (new)

Tell me about it! There was a good 5 1/2- 6 years in between #4 and 5!!

message 27: by Victor (new)

Victor 2015!?!? Man thats a long wait!

I love authors who aren't afraid to kill charactors! Even though I don't want to see them go!:(

message 28: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Dustin wrote: "Tell me about it! There was a good 5 1/2- 6 years in between #4 and 5!!"

egads!!

Victor wrote: "2015!?!? Man thats a long wait!

I love authors who aren't afraid to kill charactors! Even though I don't want to see them go!:("

it is too long, victor :(

message 29: by Dustin (new)

Agreed!

message 30: by Victor (new)

Victor tr wow, goodrads! why do you mae me tyoe like this?
!)
Like I was trying to type, another long wait is for Doctor Sleep!

Good thing I have books 1-5 to keep me busy!

message 31: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Victor wrote: "tr wow, goodrads! why do you mae me tyoe like this?
!)
Like I was trying to type, another long wait is for Doctor Sleep!

Good thing I have books 1-5 to keep me busy!"

hehehehe... i am ready for Dr. Sleep as well. Gonna be pretty interesting, cannot wait.

message 32: by Victor (new)

Victor Did you hear that they canceled the Januarary 15 release so now it's coming out in September!? :( I was so mad, sad, and lonely!

message 33: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Victor wrote: "Did you hear that they canceled the Januarary 15 release so now it's coming out in September!? :( I was so mad, sad, and lonely!"

no way!! ...*weeps uncontrollably*

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Alondra wrote: "Victor wrote: "Did you hear that they canceled the Januarary 15 release so now it's coming out in September!? :( I was so mad, sad, and lonely!"

no way!! ...*weeps uncontrollably*"

Say it ain't so!!!!

message 35: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Dang Victor, that stinks!

I'm so glad that everyone's on board for this! I'm so excited! :)

message 36: by Victor (new)

Victor I know! I wanted to through my lab top at the wall, but then I would be able to go on goodreads anymore.
At least Joyland will be out in the summer:D

message 37: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
It's a good thing you restrained yourself from throwing your laptop. :)
That's a good thing.

message 38: by Victor (new)

Victor Definitely! Haha!

Anyways, I would like to get these books in large paperbacks. I have the first 4 in mass market and I think they are more useful for blocking a knife from stabbing me in the heart!

message 39: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Lol :D

message 40: by Dustin (new)

Victor wrote: "Did you hear that they canceled the Januarary 15 release so now it's coming out in September!? :( I was so mad, sad, and lonely!"

Yes, unfortunately it is true..:(
I was very much looking forward to the January release, but September will have to do, I guess..

message 41: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Owen | 11 comments Victor wrote: "2015!?!? Man thats a long wait!

I love authors who aren't afraid to kill charactors! Even though I don't want to see them go!:("

Yup I agree with both points of this post.

HOWEVER, as much as I'm enjoying the series thus far (I'm about 100 pages into book 2) I don't find it as addictive as others. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but maybe all of the different places and different characters are just slowing things down a bit for me. Or perhaps I'm just strange.

message 42: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Christopher wrote: "Victor wrote: "2015!?!? Man thats a long wait!

Yup I agree with both points of this post.

HOWEV..."

you ARE just strange, Chris! :D

really though, not every book will affect everyone the same way. at least you are giving them a shot. i am more surprised that I liked them so much. I hope you stick with them... :D

message 43: by Dustin (new)

Alondra wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Victor wrote: "2015!?!? Man thats a long wait!

Yup I agree with both points o..."

Yeah, that's a great point: not every reader is going to be affected in the same way. That's true with every book (I think that's probably the best thing about reading, actually.)

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, Christopher.:)

message 44: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (crk815) Are we going to start these Jan 1?

message 45: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Cassie wrote: "Are we going to start these Jan 1?"

Yes, we're starting the first one on Jan. 1st. :)

message 46: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (crk815) Thank u!

message 47: by Alondra (new)

Alondra I just started A Feast for Crows; will try to jump in the conversation as the series discussions come up.. :D

message 48: by Dustin (new)

I'll be interested in your thoughts on Crows once you're done, Alondra.

message 49: by Holly (new)

Holly | 745 comments Mod
Cassie wrote: "Thank u!"

You're welcome. :)

message 50: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Dustin wrote: "I'll be interested in your thoughts on Crows once you're done, Alondra."

yeah, me too! i am putting it as a side read and will finish up Sherlock this weekend, and read some of the Talisman for the buddy read.. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6