The Sword and Laser discussion

Speed Reading

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neil (new)

Neil | 165 comments When I look at a list of all the books I would like to read I wish I could do this somethimes but I either hear the words in my head as I read or I skim read and end up missing alot of stuff and have to go back and reread segments.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 797 comments You can learn to do what they talk about in the article it just takes practice and some focus at first. You will see your comprehension will be about the same once you have some practice with the technique.

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3636 comments I dated a guy who was a speed reader. I really wanted to try to do it, but I don't seem to have the patience. I should try again, maybe following the info on the LH link.

message 4: by Neil (new)

Neil (rucknrun) | 156 comments I do it when reading articles. There is no good way to do it easily using a speed reader and books.

message 5: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5096 comments terpkristin wrote: "I dated a guy who was a speed reader. I really wanted to try to do it, but I don't seem to have the patience. I should try again, maybe following the info on the LH link."

I won't ask how the date went.

message 6: by Micah (last edited Oct 07, 2012 05:09PM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Tamahome wrote: "I won't ask how the date went."

my guess is he was ready to order dinner really fast.

(you know, because he read the menu so quickly)

message 7: by P. Aaron (last edited Oct 07, 2012 09:46PM) (new)

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments I can read and adequately retain nonfiction at a rate of about 300 pages an hour. But I would never do that with a book i was actually enjoying. I tend to slow-read things from my to-read pile, stretching a typical 350-page novel out to a week or two.

message 8: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Not a speed reader, but I have read a lot for the last few decades and now do about 100 pages an hour. An average 300 - 400 page book takes me about 4 hours to read. Not rushing anything - just reading fast enough to see the movie in my head instead of the text on the page.

I am P. Aron's opposite though, non-fiction (ie college text books) takes me weeks.

message 9: by Celine (new)

Celine | 36 comments It depends on the book. I usually blaze through YA books both because they're really easy to read, prose-wise, and because they're usually quite fast paced. I read The Mark of Athena recently and went around 150 pages an hour, which I think is my maximum reading speed if I still want to have a good understanding. On the other hand, it took me a long time to read Foundation last month because it wasn't really an ACTIONACTIONACTION book and it was also more broken into chunks.

I find that nonfiction is really hard for me to read quickly, because I have to think more and make sure I understand what I'm reading.