The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Questions on your reading habits

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments Hi and Merry Christmas! I've been wondering whether people who love to read a lot of books read quickly or slowly. How many books do you end up reading...a book a week or more or less? How long a day? Do you skim through most books or word for word? Do you watch much tv? I'm going to try to increase the number of books I read. Have a very restful holiday full of wonderful books!

Ed

message 2: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Hi Ed! It totally depends on the book. I always read every word though, I mean, I skim if it's something for school and I already know most of the information, but I firmly believe that every word is in that book for a reason so I should give it respect and read it. Maybe that's lame or crazy, but oh well.

I read anywhere from 1-5 books a week, it completely depends. I'm a fairly fast reader in general, but certain things I read more quickly then others. But that's just the nature of the subject more than myself.

I unfortunately am really busy so I fairly watch TV regularly, however Tivo is my best friend and on my days when I'm really sick (I have cancer and a rare auto immune disease and am currently undergoing loads of treatment and chemotherapy/radiation blah blah blah blah) I tend to just catch up on my shows then. I watch a lot of DVDs though, probably more so than anything on Tivo. But it again, completely depends. I like DVDs because I can take them to my chemo sessions with me and it distracts from me stuff lol. I've tried reading during them but it's much more difficult thanks to well, everything, so DVDs of shows work really well or Disney movies.

Okay this comment is FAR too long.

It's late, ignore my ramblings lol.

message 3: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Dee - Oh my God! You're so young for such things to be happening. I'm so sorry. I'm believing only the best for you and will keep you in my prayers. Sorry if I'm being too... whatever. I just think of everyone here as friends in a way, and I really do care about you!

I hope your Christmas is fantastic!

message 4: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Dee:
I, too, am sorry to here you're ill. I'm glad you have things you can enjoy while you're enduring your treatments. I'm also glad you have goodreads, both so you have something you enjoy and so we can enjoy you! I pray that your treatments will be successful.

message 5: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments About my reading habits. I'm a big stickler for word-for-word. I confess that I get really frustrated when I see my mother-in-law (forgive me, Cheryl, if you're reading this!) skip around, especially if it's a book I really loved. Literature isn't just about the plot, after all.

I am generally a fast reader, but rarely have big blocks of time to read. I think the only thing that slows me down is if something is boring or if I'm unable to concentrate for lack of sleep or whatever.

I don't get to watch much TV TV. (using TV as adjective and noun) My children tend to monopolize the TV with their videos and DVDs. I get the TV when I'm alone or have insomnia, so I mostly watch DVDs. Believe it or not, we do not have cable, and thus no Tivo. I do insist on the TV when the Steelers are playing.

message 6: by Sera (new)

Sera Robbie, my husband is a Steelers fan - what's the deal with the defense by the way?

About my reading habits, I read every word. Through my many years of schooling, I read every single word. I have this belief that if the words are there, then they must be read - no skimming, because we then cheat ourselves as readers.

I average about a book a week. If it takes me longer to get through a book, I don't sweat it, I just take my time and read when I can. I drive my husband crazy because I like to read while we watch TV (during commercials). I have Tivo and watch alot of DVDs, but there a few shows that I like to catch when they are on, such as Lost and Heroes.

I generally don't read more than one book at a time unless it's for school. Right now, I'm not following this general rule, because Dickens' Christmas Books put me on holiday overload so I had to put it down to mix it up with something else. I'll likely finish that one today. Otherwise, I just like to focus on one book at a time.

I'm a pretty fast reader. I try to read at least an hour a day, but I still buy more books than I can keep up with. Hmmm, maybe my New Year's resolution should be to buy fewer books until I make a dent in my current shelves - but who am I kidding?

message 7: by Sera (new)

Sera Dee, I'm sorry about your illness and will say a prayer for you. Hang in there, and I wish you the best.

message 8: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Aw well thanks guys, you're all ridiculously sweet. I thank you all for your prayers and kind words. I totally didn't even think about the fact that you guys didn't know that (which may sound odd...). But between grad school, work and everything else, don't worry, I don't think about the icky bad stuff that often!

And LOL Robbie, apologizing to your mother in law, awesome. But I totally agree, it really bugs me when people don't really READ what they're reading, if that makes sense.

I think those words, all of those words, are in that book for a reason and deserve the respect of you reading them. That's probably ridiculous but it totally makes sense in my head...haha.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 47 comments Cool question...

If I have time, I am generally a fast reader. I can read a book in one sitting if I love or am intrigued. For example, I read Faulkner's As I Lay Dying in a few hours. Harry Potters take me about 6 hours to read BUT that is only if I have time (am on vacation, etc.).

If I am just reading a chapter a night, I can usually finish a book in a month. It does depend on the book though. Non-fiction takes me longer than a plot-driven novel like The DaVinci Code for instance. When I want to savor words and language, I usually take a week for one book.

Dee--I too will keep you in my prayers. Hang in there girly!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Dee - you're in my prayers also. Its amazing that you've got all that going on and still concentrate on work and grad school. You're an inspiriation!

I average a book a week. But it depends on the book. Some books I can get through in a day, some in a few days, some take me over a week. I don't work, so I have lots of time. I don't skim, but I am a fast reader.

I set a goal of reading 50 books in a year. Last year when I was working full time I read 36. This year I've been a housewife and have read 65.

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments Dee--you are in our prayers as well. Thank you for all the responses...is seems a common theme is laying off the tv. When we went to a number of national parks last summer, I was amazed how happy we were without a tv--reading, playing games as a family, etc. This is an inspiration for me to turn off the tv (which is on in the background now) and read more.

Ed

message 12: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Erin:
Your post made me think of a silly story that I hope doesn't offend any church goers out there.

I was working the week-end that HP7 came out, so I got a little bit of a late start. I was too tired from working to stay up late like I did when the other books were released. I thought about skipping church (which I rarely do) to read, but I needed to sing in choir, so I just took my book with me and sat in the back pew. Not surprisingly, there were a couple of teenagers doing the same thing! I did at least put the book down during prayers, liturgies and hymns. The teens, on the other hand, were brazen enough to stand for the last hymn, books in hands so as not to interrupt their reading! As the responsible and reverent adult, I scolded them for that, of course ;)

message 13: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments I must say this thread is the first I read this morning and it has been an inspiration all around. I will also be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, Dee, and have great admitartin for the energy you are maintaining under great duress -- way to go. As for the reading question, the accumulative answers are awesome, they giove me hope for the future of reading in general -- and I suppose that the lication -- here on goodreads does that to many degrees more as I see all ages devoted to books.

My own reading goes in cycles -- when real life is busier or moods swing too low for whatever reason things can slow down but in a particularly good year -- there are in the neighborhood of sixty-something books -- I even have some books shelved by year and the lower ones may still be missing quite a few book but some of them mey turn out to be just low because I read less that year. Most years I have no reciord so it's hard to know.

I can read books in one sitting. I can read other books over the course of a year. Still others just sit till I return to them weeks, months or even years later when I gulp them down --different mood? time? I do however tend to read more than one at a time nearly always.

I do watch TV but only a handful of shows and not very faithfully aside from GG when it was going. My favorites seem to fail so I don't get too hooked on TV.

Dottie

message 14: by Kas (new)

Kas (kasm) When I have time I always get lost in a book. Sometimes I'll be "reading" 2 or 3 books at one time...it depends on where I am in the house at the time. Since I started working my number per week has gone down dramatically. I always try to read it word for word. My husband and I are unable to afford cable, so TV is pretty slim for me.

message 15: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Merry Christmas Ed! Great questions. I'm trying to increase the number of books I read as well. currently I average maybe a book every 2 weeks if I'm reading one at a time. Generally I'll be reading at least 3-4 books at a time though and will finish 2-3 each month. I tend to think of myself as a slow reader though, and I too love to savor every word in what I read, so that takes time as well.

This coming year I'm aiming to finish at least 30 books. I'm hoping to increase my daily reading time by setting aside an hour or two each day to read. I used to always do this but have fallen out of the habit.

I have two or three favorite shows i watch religiously on tv, but generally the tv is off otherwise. Honestly I find movies and the internet to be a bigger distraction from books for me. I'm more likely to leave the tv on for a good movie than for a random tv show. And the internet - once I'm online, it's often hard to tear myself away. There always seems to be one more thing I can do or look-up.

Dee - I agree with the others - you're an inspiration. :) My thoughts are with you.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Robbie, when HP7 came out I was in a show at the community theatre. We had a show the Saturday night it came out, and a bunch of us got dressed up and went to the B&N midnight release party afterward. We had a matinee the next day, so there was no staying up all night like I'd done with previous releases. But at the theatre Sunday about half the cast were reading HP backstage before, during, and after the show. It was How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, so the women were barely used in the second act, so we were all reading in the dressing room. I'm surprised no one missed an enterance. I remember coming to a really sad part in the book and not letting myself cry because I was minutes away from going on stage.

message 17: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Dee - all my love to you. My dad had cancer and I know how sucky those chemo treatments can be. Thank goodness for dvds!

message 18: by Meghan (new)

Meghan As for reading, I generally have about 5 books going. Right now it seems it's 2 for this club, 1 for my other club, a purse book (always have a book on hand when out and about, never know when you get stuck waiting in line!), and my "bed" book. I used to be able to go through them fairly quickly but with a new family, it seems like I'm struggling now to finish most of them.

I'm finding that I'm trying to pick up a book rather than plop in front of the tv. I find that it's helping me not sit so much and being active is helping me (health-wise). But I suppose it's a good thing as with the writer's strike it'll be interesting to see what happens to the tv schedule.

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary | 29 comments Ed- I tend to read a book a week or so, depending of course on the length and subject matter. I usually read for an hour or two after my 16 month old son goes to sleep. I'm finishing books really fast right now because it's Winter Vacation (I'm a teacher)and I have a lot more time to read. In general, I'm a pretty fast reader but I'm actually trying to slow myself down to improve my comprehension and retention using the strategies I teach my kids. (Practice what you preach and all that...) It bugs me that I can't remember a lot about so many of the books I've read.

Here's a confession: I haven't read HP7 yet! Isn't that crazy?? I read the first six the second they came out and I've just been unmotivated to read this last one. Maybe I have repressed issues about the series ending???

Dee- Good luck to you! I know your upbeat attitude will help a lot in your healing.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Mary, please read HP7 before you are spoiled!

message 21: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) It just depends on how busy I am.I try and read at least a book a week.Lately it's taken me several weeks to read one book.I have a 3 yr old at home so it's hard keeping her occupied.She hates when I read.I'm an average reader don't read slow unless it very long and hard material to get through.

message 22: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Thanks guys!

And Meghan! I have a purse book too! I always have a book with me (or my iPod, or a magazine, most of the time all three actually...). I'm so used to just being stuck waiting somewhere (outside of a class, doctors office, in line at the bank...whatever) and it always comes in handy.

Plus, the one time I'll forget it, will be the time I want it. I always kick myself for that! I usually have two or three magazines and a few books in my car as well, just as a backup.

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments Dee,

I am truly awed by your strength and positive attitude! I am sending you all of my best wishes and strength. And hoping you keep finding wonderful books, shows, and movies to enjoy while you go through such a difficult time.

message 24: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Thank you Courtney.

Ed! I didn't mean to hijack your post! I swear I didn't! I'm sorry. :(

message 25: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments No problem Dee; you are an inspiraton. Have a happy New Year!

Ed

message 26: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Dec 30, 2007 02:26AM) (new)

I haven't yet finished reading this thread, but I have to comment on Dottie's post... I was CRACKING UP at your comment about your favorite TV shows failing. This year particularly that happened a lot to me, but overall some of my all-time favorite shows were very short-lived. Ever heard of "Homefront?" Didn't think so. LOL

I also want to say that you are a heroic role model, Dee... and a kickarse personality! WOW! You keep it all up. I can't imagine having that much energy, stamina, and drive. I'm in awe!

message 27: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Dec 30, 2007 02:51AM) (new)

As for my reading habits... I'm all over the board. Unless it's rather dull or a how-to or something, I do read every word. Give or take. I mean, I find I tend to skip headings for some reason. It's a strange thing... like I simply must dive right into the heart of it, somehow skipping the big bold point splashed banner-form above it. But then, that wouldn't really apply to most novels, now would it. Heh.

I sometimes completely immerse myself in a book and am done in seemingly moments. Other times I'm in five or more books at once. Sometimes I read 5 - 8 books a month, others I barely pick one up. It's life, you know?

I will say that like Dee and Meghan I always have a book with me. Nearly. Maybe not a formal dinner party. Then again... LOL Seriously, though, even at really odd times I will be sure I have one with me because, as Dee said, the one time you are without it is the one time you REALLY wish you had it. Sometimes I have several with me. Because I'm not sure what mood I'll be in when I have that moment to pick it up!

The worst is when I'm nearly finished with a book when I'm about to be traveling. I have to bring the unfinished and like a dozen to choose from as well because I never know what I might want next - what will be the right fit for that moment! What a goober.

message 28: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

My thing is, though, I find it hard to balance life. Yeah, TV has a little to do with that. I mean when I lived without a telly in Italy I read loads. But really, now that I'm getting back to athletics after my accident this year, training is valuable yet time consuming. I'll be getting at least one job, if not several, this coming month which will tax my time and energy as well. Then there is this group. I dig chatting with you all a bit too much, so I hang out here so long that I run out of time to read!

I have the heart of an explorer, so even in everyday life I am distracted by that... whether it be something in nature or some aspect of city life that draws me away, I want to be experiencing and living... not merely reading about it.

Also, I'm attempting to learn languages, write my own book, keep up with far away friends, organize and sort life... and on and on.

Wow have I strayed from the topic! Heh. Chalk it up to the hours and hours I just spent on the road and the lack of sleep I've had most of the week. I should have gone straight to bed, but I couldn't wait to "visit" with you all!

(This was all part of that last post, but it was waaaay too long, so I broke it up. Baby steps, Michele, baby steps!)