The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > how long do you wait to start another book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 53 comments once you finish a book, how long till you start another?

i use to wait a day or 2 but latly i have been starting them right away! like today i started reading a new book as soon as i read the last page.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Immediately! I always need to have a book in progress, I feel lost otherwise.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Since I have been more active on Goodreads, it has been pretty quickly, especially if I am in a reading mood or it's the weekend. However, right now I haven't really read anything for over a week, so I guess there isn't a rule with me.

message 4: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments I usually finish one up right before bed, so I wait until the next evening to start another. If I am in the middle of an exciting series, I sometimes have to give myself a stern talking to so I don't start the next one right away and meet the dawn!

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9633 comments Mod
Almost always immediately after I finish the last one!

message 6: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Same here, after I finish a book, I start a new one almost right away (unless I finish the book right before I go to sleep, then I have to wait until the monring).

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) Not long. I'm like Li--I start a new one right after, unless I finish right before bed, then I'll wait to start the next one the next day (usually during my lunch break, or during my after-work workout).

I also listen to books on CD in my car, and if I don't have a new book to start, I kinda flounder. Do I listen to the radio? To a CD? Probably one of the two, but then I have to go to the library and pick a new audiobook out.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I've been trying to write more reviews about the books that I read, so I normally wait until I've let the last book "sink in". This normally takes about 20 minutes or so... I'll think back over the book, or if parts were especially good, I will flip back to them, and I will write what I thought of the book, and then I will start the new book.

I finished the last book that I was reading about 2 hours before bed, but I still started the new book that night. I figured I'd gain an hour head-start on the book and be that much closer to my goal of clearing out my Owned-to-read shelf.

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments I read another book immediately - it may take me a few days to write the revie of the one I just finished but I don't have "down time" between books.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Like several people, I start reading immediately unless I'm at a good stopping place (like bedtime or time to go to class). Then I usually spend a day or two starting several books before I settle on one to read.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda | 887 comments Since I am reading 4-5 at a time, it depends on the time of day I finish the book. For example, if I finish one in early evening just before dinner, I don't usually start a new one until the next morning. Sometimes, if the end of the books are starting to come together, I may just push through on the one that is closest to being completed and then begin the hunt for the next best read.

message 12: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (bagambo) After I finish one book I start looking for a new one to read straightaway. I don't like to wait too long, because then it takes me forever to pick out a new book to read.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) Because I'm doing a challenge this year I'm starting one book right after another. Usually I would wait till the next day to start my next book. Now if I finish a book early in the day I will start a new book that night.

message 14: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Immediate. The moment I finish a book I HAVE to pick another to read and usually start it the same day. Sometimes after a few hours, or a few minutes or even seconds! Depends when I finish it and how I feel. Some books do need to sink in and I think lately perhaps cos of GR I haven't always let that happen as much as I need to.

Anyway, I always immediately select a new book to read. Usually I finish a book, write a review on GR and then choose a new book if I haven't already decided of course.

I just can't go a day without a book attached. It gives me the shivers.

message 15: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 11, 2009 07:20AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) I always have to be reading something, because I can't leave home without a book! You never know when you'll need something to read! (The lines at the grocery store at 5:30...)

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I do most of my reading at night after the kids are in bed, which means I generally will finish my books at night. Then I usually will get on GR and write my review, which always seems to take me FOREVER because I'm trying to get my thoughts together. I will then usually browse my TBR and ponder my next book, if I haven't already got one lined up. I lay in bed that night mulling over the book I just finished. By the next day, I'm ready to hop into a new book and a new adventure!

message 17: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1046 comments I do it immediately, after I review the last one. I need to read something all the time.

message 18: by Chrystal (new)

Chrystal | 144 comments Immediately.....last night I went ahead and put another book on my nightstand because I knew that I would finish the book that I was on, and I was determined to at least get through the first chapter of the book that I had waiting before going to sleep. I think my bookmark would go into withdrawals if it was left open and not stuffed in the pages of a book. LOL!

message 19: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 53 comments Seyren wrote: "I usually wait a day or two. I'm the kind of reader that can't start on a new book with another still fresh in mind, I'd end up comparing them subconsciously. :)"

this is what i like to do as well! expecially when your switching from sci-fi to love story....

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I usually finish a book, rate it (usually I wait a day or two to review) and immediately go pick up another to start.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I usually have at least one other book going, but I typically start a new book within a day or two of finishing another! There are too may good books out there for me to wait too long, but I like a little space between so I can reflect on the on I just finished.

message 22: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments If I am reading more than one book at one time I usually start or finish the next book I was reading. If I am done with all books then I usually wait till the next day to pick up a book. Sometimes it takes me a day or so to figure out which genre I want to read.

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1066 comments I usually also start immediately unless it's bedtime, then I start the next day.

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I sometimes start immediately, it depends on the time, I guess. It might be the next day, as soon as I have a free moment. But I always have my next book ready to go. I don't care if it's 3am.....I will pull out my next book, and place my bookmark at the start.

A wierd thing about me....is that if I will be out and think I might finish what I'm reading, I have to bring my next book as a back-up. The thought of being "bookless" makes me nervous. Lol.

message 25: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle The amount of time it takes me to walk over to my bookshelf and pick up a book - so pretty much 2 minutes after.

message 26: by Eliza (new)

Eliza (Eliza_Morgan) | 151 comments I like to take a little bit of time looking over everything in my bookshelf, narrowing it down to a few selections and then making my pick.

message 27: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments I've read two in the same day. No stopping. Keep on truckin'.

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I keep a pile of my "most likely next" books on my nightstand. I have to be reading something always, so unless I am ready to turn off the light for the night, I immediately start a new one. If it looks as if I will finish a book away from home, I'll throw another one in my bag, just in case. Like Fiona, I feel lost if I'm not actively reading a book at all times!

message 29: by Ken (last edited Feb 11, 2009 01:13PM) (new)

Ken (Scete) | 31 comments I usually have at least two books on the go at once, sometimes three.
At present I am reading Paulo Coehlo 'The Warrior of Light', & Christopher Hibbert 'The rise and fall of the House of Medici'. This is taking a long time as I keep researching the various people mentioned in the book ie. Cellini.

message 30: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments For me, it usually depends on the time. I tend to finish my books at nighttime, sometimes staying up until 3:00 AM to finish, so in cases like this, I don't start a book until the next day. I always have an idea as to what I want to read next, though.

If it's my day off and I finish the book, then I usually just start one right away. So, it depends on the circumstances.

message 31: by Mosca (last edited Feb 11, 2009 02:42PM) (new)

Mosca | 828 comments If it is a very good book that I really enjoy, I am lost, for a while, when it is over. And it takes a while--sometimes a day or more--for me to choose the next book. It's like losing a friend and looking for a new one.

But other times, I will already know which book I will read next. Then, I will just jump into the next book almost immediately. It varies with the emotional seasons.

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 556 comments I feel something close to panic if I'm not reading something ... unless I finish a book right before going to bed, I immediately pick out my next read (which is a process in itself) and read at least the first 10 pages or so. Like Kathy and Kandice, I also have to have a back-up book if I think I am going to finish my book while I'm away from home. If I'm going on a trip, I usually bring several options for my next book so that I can pick the one best suited to my mood.

message 33: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) Stephanie wrote: "Like Kathy and Kandice, I also have to have a back-up book if I think I am going to finish my book while I'm away from home. If I'm going on a trip, I usually bring several options for my next book so that I can pick the one best suited to my mood. "

Ditto. I keep a back-up book or three in my car, and usually take 3-4 books for a weekend trip. I only took 3-4 over Christmas, too, but that's because I was having 4 or 5 books shipped to me at my parent's house... :)

message 34: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (LindsC) I definitely start right away. I NEED to have a book on the go!

message 35: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Oh yeah I always have a back up book if there's the slightest chance I'd finish it whilst I'm out. What a disaster if I forgot. I'd hav to buy a newspaper and read that - how depressing.

message 36: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Oh yeah I always have a back up book if there's the slightest chance I'd finish it whilst I'm out. What a disaster if I forgot. I'd hav to buy a newspaper and read that - how depressing.

message 37: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Immediately. Except in cases where I find myself reading through a series, I usually wait until I've finished my last book before I choose my next book.

message 38: by Lori (new)

Lori Fiona, I always hate it when I'm having to bring a back up book because that's just more to have to cart around...but I do it too.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I read too many books at once and usually haul around 3 at a time. One side of my bed is a big pile of books I'm reading. Yes, I sleep with books!

message 40: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) I sleep with books too!
I have a book in my bag that I don't really like but will read if I have a few minutes when I'm out. A book in the truck I like even less but its better than not having anything to read. Two books by the bed I'm not interested in and one or two books that move from room to room with me that I am really into reading.

message 41: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 53 comments haha some of you kind of scare me lol!

message 42: by Kathy (last edited Feb 13, 2009 11:24AM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Sara wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Like Kathy and Kandice, I also have to have a back-up book if I think I am going to finish my book while I'm away from home. If I'm going on a trip, I usually bring several option..."

At least I'm not the only one! My kids teased me so badly when we went to Disney. I brought 4 books with me. They were like "We're at Disney, you're not going to read!". Sure, I didn't read 4, but I somehow found time before I passed out at night and got through 2! So there! Lol.

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori Kathy, I always end up bringing 3 or 4 books with me when I go on vacation, even if it's just up to my grandparents' house. I never read them all, but I feel prepared and that's the important thing, right?

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Lori wrote: "Kathy, I always end up bringing 3 or 4 books with me when I go on vacation, even if it's just up to my grandparents' house. I never read them all, but I feel prepared and that's the important thi..."

Exactly, Lori! Like I said before....the thought of being "bookless" at any time makes me nervous! Wierd, huh? Lol.

message 45: by Lori (new)

Lori Kathy, Definitely not weird at all! I'd rather have a sore back from carrying around too many good books than be bookless! Getting migraines are the worst though because all you can do it lay (or lie?) on your back, in the dark, in total silence, and pray for death because reading makes it worse (for me). That is my ultimate torture.

message 46: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Lori wrote: "Kathy, Definitely not weird at all! I'd rather have a sore back from carrying around too many good books than be bookless! Getting migraines are the worst though because all you can do it lay (o..."

I completely understand! I don't get them often, but it's the one time, when reading isn't an option and I hate it!!!

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori And there's nothing else that you can do, which makes the not reading even worse. At least if you have the stomach flu you can listen to the TV or talk to another person, even if you are nauseous.

message 48: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Yup, migraines are THE worst!!

message 49: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) Lori wrote: "Kathy, I always end up bringing 3 or 4 books with me when I go on vacation, even if it's just up to my grandparents' house. I never read them all, but I feel prepared and that's the important thing, right?"

Absolutely! And since I'm a mood reader, I have to have options, so I'll have at least one that I'm in the mood to read!

As for the migraines... You're totally right Lori. They suck. And usually I'm sensitive to sound, too... so that cuts out audiobooks as well!

message 50: by Erin (new)

Erin Quinn (Erin_Quinn) | 59 comments Sara wrote: "Lori wrote: "Kathy, I always end up bringing 3 or 4 books with me when I go on vacation, even if it's just up to my grandparents' house. I never read them all, but I feel prepared and that's the ..."

LOL. I thought I was the only one who did that. I just took a 4 day trip and my bag weighed in at 48 pounds--oh so close to over the limit and 20 of those pounds were books!!!!

« previous 1 3