Writer's Paradise discussion

Write-A-Thon (mock NaNoWriMo) > Mock NaNoWriMo: Write-A-Thon!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 220 (220 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Paige (last edited Feb 09, 2009 05:16PM) (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Hello all-
So Veronica and Kenzie and I have been talking about this, and we've decided that it would be a cool idea. We are going to hold a Mock NanoWrimo (Write-A-Thon) for March. Only thing is, it's COMPLETELY optional, AND you can set your own goal. Kenzie has agreed to design & give a winner's certificate to the person who does the most words, and a participant certificate to anyone who meets their goal. My monthly goal is ____________!

^^ You don't have to decide your monthly goal until March 1st, FYI.

This seems like a lot of fun and a good motivator, since the real NanoWrimo is a long time away. If you DO want to do it, go ahead and copy and paste this into you're topic so everyone knows.

********UPDATE**************
I am going to do the March Write-A-Thon as well as my daily word count, so check in each day to see how I'm going and what's going on!

message 2: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) uhm.... does it have to be words?? cuz my microsoft word still isnt working, even though i got a new computer and i cant to a word count and write things out at the same time... but then no one will know my word count and nothing will count, so....?

message 3: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Umm... well, maybe you should set a chapter goal or something. It is optional- you don't HAVE to do it.

message 4: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) well, i want to, seeing as i was completely horrible last time...

message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments I haven't actually done NanoWrimo before, because I didn't know about it until December. But you could do a chapter goal, right? Or a page goal?

message 6: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) somehow i think not... but im not sure...

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) | 1020 comments Could you please describe exactly what NanoWrimo would include? Just a extremely large word count?

message 8: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Well, see if you can, Michelle. If not, that's okay.

message 9: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) uhm... oaky?

message 10: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Elaine, NanoWrimo is a writing contest held in November of every year, where everyone who participates tries to write a 50,000 word novel in 1 month.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, mi problemo es that I have no plot right now. Unless I try to redo my nano story again.

message 12: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Or you can start a new one.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah, but I have no plot whatsoever. . .

message 14: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Well, check out the prompts folder. Maybe something will come to you!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

*shrugs* Yeah, there is the other stuff that I can start also . . .

message 16: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments I'm hoping people will be interested and do it... *hint, hint*

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

lolz maybe. March is pretty busy 4 me, so it's only a maybe.

message 18: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Yeah, I started a story/fan-fiction...

might post that if I get deeper into it *shrug*

message 19: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments That might be cool. It is optional ,but I think it would be fun if a lot of people participated.

message 20: by Elaine (last edited Feb 09, 2009 09:01PM) (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) | 1020 comments *raises hand, eagerly* (yes, I'm always imitating Hermione) I think I might do it! =) It sounds like fun! But, as I presume, in this "mock" NanoWrimo we can shoot for as many words as we want, right? And we can work on any story, or multiple stories?

message 21: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1367 comments maybe for me.....can I do it but not set a goal?

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul Well I'll do it. I'm also doing the Script Frenzy thing in April (100 page film script in 1 month) and a 50,000 word challenge in July, as well as the real NaNoWriMo in November (which is 100,000 words, isn't it?

So, I will write the first 50,000 words of a novel, working title Resurrection, starting first of March, as well as my 2,000 words per day - which means 110,000 words that month.

At this rate, I'll soon be as prolific as Stephen King!!!!

message 23: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 3382 comments Mod
OK, if Paul is going to do it. I will step up to the plate as well :]

message 24: by Paul (new)

Paul It's going to be quite a challenge, isn't it? Slightly over 3,500 words a day for me. How about you Dee - what's your daily goal and your Write-a-Thon goal?

message 25: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

My Group goal is 1000 words a day...not sure what my Write-a-Thon goal.

It should be to spend less time online and more time writing ;]

message 26: by Paul (new)

Paul Aahhh, but it's noce having a chat occasionally isn't it? :]

message 27: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Tale_of_lost_ink wrote: "maybe for me.....can I do it but not set a goal?"
Umm, that kind of defeat's the purpose, but sure, I guess....

Elaine wrote: "*raises hand, eagerly* (yes, I'm always imitating Hermione) I think I might do it! =) It sounds like fun! But, as I presume, in this "mock" NanoWrimo we can shoot for as many words as we want, ..."

Yes, you may set your own goal, although it should preferably be something that would be a stretch for you- the whole point is to challenge yourself and write more.

Dee- That's great!!!! Good luck!!!!

message 28: by Paige (last edited Feb 11, 2009 04:00PM) (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments ***UPDATE***

Just so everyone knows, since I've gotten quite a few questions about this...

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO START A NEW STORY YOU MAY CONTINUE ONE YOU'RE WORKING ON!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

*screams* no way?!

*goes deaf* my little brother just screamed in my ear . . .owww.

message 30: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments YES WAY! Sorry bout your bro...

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

lolz yeah . . . man he is wierd!!

message 32: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Kenzie | 1305 comments Mod
WAHOO!! Sweetical, I'm going to do it then.

Oh, Tink, how do you want the winner's certificates to look? Do you want them like an actual certificate, or do you want it more of a special patch?

message 33: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments whatever you think looks best, Kenzie!

message 34: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1367 comments nice....:D

message 35: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

You sure? I need some sort of outline. Hmmm....

Does anyone else have any preferences? Color? Picture? Anything?

message 36: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1367 comments picture would be cool....

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

oh crap i CANNOT do this. I'm already starting to slack on my word count - can't do anymore long stories, blaaah.

message 38: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Okay, I think I have an idea of what I'm going to do.

message 39: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Does it have to be a new story, starting from scratch? Or can you continue to work on whatever story you're working on? If it has to be a new story, than I can't do it, because I have to work on the stories that I'm in the middle of now.

message 40: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Hey Sella,

I believe that Tink mentioned in a previous post that it was ok to work on a story that you are already writing.

I am in the same boat you are, I can only do the challenge if I can continue working on the story I am currently writing on :)

message 41: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Kenzie wrote: "You sure? I need some sort of outline. Hmmm....

Does anyone else have any preferences? Color? Picture? Anything?"

I really don't know, Kenzie, but I trust your judgement.

message 42: by Paige (last edited Feb 13, 2009 03:05PM) (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments YOU MAY CONTINUE TO WORK ON A STORY YOU ARE ALREADY WRITING!!!!!

I will be doing this, and you can too, so NO worries!

message 43: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Should be a unisex something...as in not pink?

message 44: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Yes, definitely.

message 45: by Veronica, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 727 comments Mod
Well, I think that it should be bright green and have WRITE-A-THON in massive letters that are in a sort-of umbrella shape across the top (like this congratulations: )

message 46: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Ooh! Coolio. I'll think about it Roni. I've already started picking things out for it. XD

message 47: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Green is my fav color, so that's good with me!

message 48: by S (new)

S | 26 comments I'm going to try to do this. Is there a certain word count that has to be reached?

message 49: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) | 1020 comments You can set your own goal, but as Tink said it should preferably be something that would be a stretch for you- the whole point is to challenge yourself and write more. =)

message 50: by S (new)

S | 26 comments Okay, then! :-)

« previous 1 3 4 5