Classics for Beginners discussion

Rebecca
This topic is about Rebecca
Old Monthly Group Reads > Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicolle This is our October read. We will also be watching the movie adaption in another thread further down the group.

doug bowman (Dbowman282) | 26 comments I admire the opening passage...it's slow build that kind of takes you down a winding path until you are in the ruins,,,

Paula W I just started chapter five and the foreshadowing is already giving me an excuse not to put the book down. So far so good!

Gaylinn (cloonangyahoocom) I have formerly read this book twice and loved it both times.

message 5: by sarah (new)

sarah | 15 comments I really wanted to read this one, but our library doesn't have it. :( I've seen the movie several times and I love it!

doug bowman (Dbowman282) | 26 comments Rebecca wasn't the first novel I read by duMaurier. I read "House on the Strand" in college, probably because of it's link to hallucinogens.

Veljko (_VxF_) | 63 comments I had a hard time finding a copy as well. The school's library didn't have it, nor the local bookstore. And it's not available in ebook version. At least not legally.

But I finally got a copy. Have a couple of books in progress, but I should start reading in a day or two. I couldn't resist and read the first two pages - I feel like I will like this a lot!

Now, if only work did not get into the way...

Travelling Sunny (Sunny_In_Wonderland) | 231 comments I found it interesting that Barnes and Noble didn't have an electronic copy of this book for sale. Apparently, it has something to do with the copyright date versus the estate of Du Maurier, etc. I read online that unless the estate approves an e-book (which nobody seems inclined to get involved in), then it won't be eligible for electronic distribution until 2034. (!!!)

I've checked it out from my library. The actual book with physical pages.

Kelsi * Essentially Booked * I think this book is what got me to love classics. I read it as a sophomore in high school and was hooked. I should re-read it, but don't have any time! Enjoy everyone :)

Miriam (Mima118) | 10 comments I'm on Chapter 6. Loving the way Du Maurier painted a perfect picture for me without the information overload. Also liking the way the book jumps into the future for a paragraph then comes back to the present. It's making my imagination run wild.

Getting a little confused tho with her daydreams... I keep thinking they are real. Keep having those "Ohhhh Right" moments.

Paula W Miriam, I was thinking the same thing as I was reading Chapter 6 last night. This woman daydreams more than a 14 year old boy....

Travelling Sunny (Sunny_In_Wonderland) | 231 comments Paula wrote: "Miriam, I was thinking the same thing as I was reading Chapter 6 last night. This woman daydreams more than a 14 year old boy...."

LOL!

Miriam (Mima118) | 10 comments Paula wrote: "Miriam, I was thinking the same thing as I was reading Chapter 6 last night. This woman daydreams more than a 14 year old boy...."

haha

message 14: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 16 comments Just starting this book tonight.

Veljko (_VxF_) | 63 comments Read Chapter 3 before bed last night. The character of Ms. Van Hopper had me laughing out loud. There were a couple of hilarious moments, especially towards the end of the chapter (when she tells the narrator that she was embarrassed by HER behavior). Fun stuff. Can't wait to read more!

Paula W I finished the book. The second half went really quickly for me. I hope everyone else is enjoying it!

JaniceF (goodreadscomJaniceR) | 11 comments I am on Chapter Nine. This girl must really be sheltered, because she's okay with a man who marries her and has yet to tell her he loves her. Or, what he sees in her. And, when Beatrice, Maxim's sister, asks her if she's in love, she has no answer. I can understand her marrying him, so she wouldn't have to go to New York, with Mrs. Van Hopper. And, that she likes the idea of being with a wealthy, older, sophisticated man. Other than that, I don't see no reason for her to be interested. She's not ambitious enough to be a golddigger. To timid. And him. I agree with the character, when she compares his treatment of her to his treatment of Jasper. He treats them the same. In Chapter Nine, after lunch, her leaning her chin against his sleeve made me think of the dog. Not much different. And, her wanting to please made me think of a dog wanting to please her master. But, I think Jasper has more courage. She's way too timid.

LunaBel  (Lunaluss) I've already read this novel. It kept meon the edge of the chair 'til its very end.

JaniceF (goodreadscomJaniceR) | 11 comments Have to agree, LunaBelle. This book is hard to put down. Liking it as much as the movie versions I've seen. First time reading this book.

LunaBel  (Lunaluss) I havent seen the movie but if it doesnt mess the novel like some movies do then I guess it would be a very good movie.

Alicia (Amsneed) | 6 comments I started reading this tonight and I was just thinking I would read a little but I couldn't put it down! I'm enjoying it so much. Although I, too, am having a little difficulty with her daydreams. I read and go 'What?' then reread and realize it was a daydream.

Miriam (Mima118) | 10 comments I really want to drop kick Mrs. Danvers

Janice (Janaz28) | 45 comments What an amazing read:) I just finished and I loved it. I was hooked from the first sentence, all the descritopns were so vivid and I could just feel the constant and oppressing presence of Rebecca!

message 24: by Alicia (last edited Oct 09, 2012 05:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alicia (Amsneed) | 6 comments Just finished. This was a very enjoyable read for me and ranks up there now as one of my favorite books! I wasn't expecting the 'twists' near the end but of course that made it even more of a wonderful book. I really liked the unnamed narrator. I felt like I could relate to her a lot because I am quite shy and can be socially awkward in situations with large groups, too. :)

Paula W Miriam wrote: "I really want to drop kick Mrs. Danvers"

Bahahaha!!

message 26: by dean (new) - rated it 5 stars

dean (allgodsarecarnivorous) | 6 comments I just started the book this morning. I usually avoid these threads until I've finished the reading entirely (only on ch9 now), but I really just needed to share my complete admiration for the first chapter. It captivated me immediately. How absolutely gorgeous and atmospheric!

I agree with Janice's observations. The second Mrs de Winter is a very frustrating character. Admittedly, I read the "36 and wearing a black dress and pearls" line and had to laugh because we apparently share the same silly expectations for our future selves (ha!) but she's so much a shrinking violet and her marriage to Maxim seems vacuous. I wonder what's up.

JaniceF (goodreadscomJaniceR) | 11 comments In Chapter Eleven and Twelve, the girl (don't know her name) is starting to get a little braver. Not only does she speak Rebecca's name, but she ask Frank Crawley all kinds of questions about her without flinching. She even ask about her death and the circumstances. She only worries when she sees the look on Frank's face, afterward. She's worried she went too far. But, other than that, she has no problem carrying on a conversation with him. Hated how Maxim and Mrs. D ganged up on her, after they found out she broke the china Cupid. First, Maxim implied she acted like an in -between maid. Then, he says to Mrs. D that she wouldn't let an in -between maid in the morning room. Mrs D agreed. It's like they were implying she was something lower. But, she did finally get around to letting him know she felt like she belonged when she was with Clarice and her mother. That the daughter had told her mother she liked working for her because "it's like working for one of us. " Glad she's starting to get some backbone. Wish Frith and the rest of the servants would stop talking about how Rebecca does things likes she's still alive and running the place. And, the new wife is filling in until she returns. Maxim didn't marry this girl for her "poise ".

message 28: by Holly (new)

Holly Read | 1 comments I just found this book at the library. I'm currently reading oliver twist but plan to finish up in a day or two and get into this book. The posts I've read here have me excited. My Library also has a DVD of Rebecca that I want to watch after the book.

Miriam (Mima118) | 10 comments Finished it by the pool yesterday! whoop whoop... Lets just say I was so into it the binding on the book melted and I didn't realize until the pages were falling out and blowing away. MYSTERY!! THRILLER!! SUSPENSE!!
When you get to the end make sure you re read the opening line of the book. It's like BAM!! close your eyes and smell the gardens, look over your shoulder and see Mrs. Danvers looking at you from the window and don't forget to pet Jasper.

message 30: by Veljko (last edited Oct 27, 2012 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veljko (_VxF_) | 63 comments I only got to chapter 10. It's a busy period at work.

But I want to slap her. It's been a while since I felt so annoyed by a literary character. I just want to slap her. For being annoying, childish, spoiled, and weak. Her blabbering is an offense to all the people that have real problems in life. I would slap her. Then slap her again. At least she would have a real problem then. Then slap her once more, just for good measure.

No really, I am (obviously) speaking metaphorically. Despite my Italian roots, I do not condone violence against women.

But, if I met her, I would have to walk out of the room. Fast. Because, otherwise, you know, I might slap her.

Tammy (Tammy1) | 46 comments I'm at chapter 7, love it.. another classic I wonder why I waited so long to read !

Lesley | 19 comments I just finished this last night. I found it pretty good, but feel that I have missed something.

Veljko (_VxF_) | 63 comments I finished it. Then I had to go back and re-read the first chapter to try to understand what happened.
I am still uncertain on some detail. But I don't want to post spoilers.

But I liked it, more and more as I progressed through the book. Some truly memorable characters, that's for sure.

I found the 'growing up' of the narrator to be a bit too forced, too sudden - or maybe it was just the contrast with the (extremely negative) impression I had of her in the early chapters.

Laura (lcjensen) I really enjoyed this book, even though it took me awhile to warm up to it. The first third was rather slow for me but I think it was this slow build up that allowed me to gasp out loud at the unseen story twist. Yes, I found Mrs. de Winters annoyingly spineless, but I couldn't help but feel for her. The characters with all of their faults made them truly real and memorable.

JaniceF (goodreadscomJaniceR) | 11 comments Finally Maxim tells the character that he loves her. But, I wonder why now? And, whether he really means it? I've got my doubts. Especially with what's going on in Chapters 19-22.

message 36: by dean (new) - rated it 5 stars

dean (allgodsarecarnivorous) | 6 comments The second Mrs de Winter made me want to chuck the book at the wall several times. Someone mentioned up thread about wanting to slap her-- yes! But part of my frustration/annoyance with the character is that I'm all too familiar with that sense timidness and self doubt. The other part is that she's really just annoying as hell!

I agree with Veljko, her "growing up" did seem very quick. It also seemed a little early at that point. It seemed more appropriate after the big reveal though.

Regardless of my frustration with the narrator, she was memorable and it was a very satisfying read. I think I fell in love with Manderley too.

JaniceF (goodreadscomJaniceR) | 11 comments Audrey wrote: "The second Mrs de Winter made me want to chuck the book at the wall several times. Someone mentioned up thread about wanting to slap her-- yes! But part of my frustration/annoyance with the charact..."

The "growing up " did seem more appropriate after the big reveal. But, she still has some silliness still there.

Slow Man i long to read this. i only join the group today. i guess i have to catch up by reading it now.

Nicolle It's ok slow man, you can read at your own pace. In this group we don't have to read a book in the month. Feel free to read it whenever you want to. :)

message 40: by Tony (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tony Talbot | 9 comments I was visiting Cornwall in 1999 a few years before I read the book and realised I'd walked past Manderley - Menabilly - without even realising it.

It's pretty spot on, the descriptions in the book. Even the cottage by the cove is there.

As an aside, the village from "The Birds" is only round the corner.

I think Rebecca is the only book I've ever read where the ghost of a dead woman has more substance than the narrator.

message 41: by Jocelyne (new)

Jocelyne Lebon | 51 comments Tony wrote: "I was visiting Cornwall in 1999 a few years before I read the book and realised I'd walked past Manderley - Menabilly - without even realising it.

It's pretty spot on, the descriptions in the

boo..."

I loved that book. It is so atmospheric. I'd love to visit the area.

Melissa  Jeanette (MelissaJeanette) How cool that you got to see the area! This is one of my favorite books. I'll have to add it to my wish list of places to visit someday.

message 43: by Tony (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tony Talbot | 9 comments If you drop "Menabilly" into Google maps, you can see the area pretty well.

message 44: by Jocelyne (new)

Jocelyne Lebon | 51 comments Tony wrote: "If you drop "Menabilly" into Google maps, you can see the area pretty well."

This is so great. I thought Menabilly was the name of the town or village, not the house itself. I will have to go see it!

Melissa  Jeanette (MelissaJeanette) Cool! I'll be doing that momentarily. :)

Nicolle I didn't even know that it was based on a real place. I'm off to do some googling now...