Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Threads, misc. > Challenge Idea - Creatures/Non-human

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassandra (last edited Sep 29, 2012 02:13PM) (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 176 comments Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. I wasn't sure where and I thought this was the best bet.

I was reading Ordinary Angels for the freebie challenge and started thinking (never a good idea!) that I've read so few books with angels in them: Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter books come to mind - Angels' Blood - and Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld - Haunted (first one to really have angels). That's it! I don't know why that surprises me so much, but there it is.

Then the challenge idea comes in. We could come up with a list of non humans (either never been human or turned from human) and see how many books we can read for each. I'd think this challenge could become a never ending one, but that depends on if anyone likes the idea or not.

I'm not even sure it's a good idea, since not everyone even reads books with non humans in it and we might not even be able to agree on the list. It's a thought. Any comments? Does it sound like a good idea or not?

My list: angels/demons, vampires, weres (wolves/cats/dragons/other?)/shifters, ghosts/spirits, witches/wizards, elves, fae/faeries (others? that's all I can think of at the moment)

I feel like this is a stream of conciseness thing that really makes no sense at all!

CaroB (Message #2): zombies and aliens
☼sunny☼ (Message #4): Satyrs (Elizabeth Amber)
CaroB (Message #6): Gods (mythological)
Tori (Message #8): Mermaids
Jenny (Message #10): Gargoyles
Gisela (Message #11): Cyborgs
♥Robin ♥ (Message #13): Gnomes & Ogres (?)
Jenny (Message #20): Goblins

message 2: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments This is a great idea Cassandra!! You're definitely making sense :-) I like the idea of compiling the list first, and then trying to get a challenge around it.

I can think of aliens and zombies to add to that list ... I'll have to put my thinking cap on!

message 3: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 176 comments Thanks for the suggestions. I can't believe I didn't think of zombies and aliens. This is why this list needs to be more people working together instead of just one person trying to get all the possible choices.

I'm glad you like the idea! I'm also really glad it makes sense.

message 4: by Sunny☼ (new)

Sunny☼ (Sunny2) Satyrs if you read Elizabeth Amber

message 5: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 176 comments @☼sunny☼ - good suggestion. I'll add it to the first post. I've not read any Elizabeth Amber books, but they are on my list.

message 6: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Just a quick question: what's the difference between weres and shifters? I thought they were the same thing?

Also what about deities, such as mythological gods? Odin, Neptune etc?

message 7: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 176 comments I'll admit that I'm not really sure if there is a difference between weres and shifters. Some series have weres as moon-based while shifters can change when ever. I think the difference depends on the series. Depends on what others think, really. Some series have shifters as born and weres as bitten. Maybe combining those might be a good idea.

I hadn't really thought about Gods. That could work well, given the number of books that have Gods as important characters. I'll add Gods to the list. I don't think I've read a book with either Odin or Neptune, but several series have Greek Gods in them.

message 8: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 176 comments Mermaids! Great suggestion. I've read a few, but none lately so I didn't really think about it. I'll add mermaids to the list in post 1

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (Jyl22075) | 2336 comments I would definitely be interested in doing a challenge like this. As for suggestions, I actually have three or four different books with gargoyles in my TBR. Strange but true. LOL!

message 10: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments Cyborgs?

message 11: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 176 comments Thanks Jenny & Gisela, I'll add both to the list in post 1.

I can't see an issue with adding cyborgs, Gisela even if you seem a little unsure about them :)

Robin (Saturndoo) (Scoobydoo0811) | 847 comments Gnomes? Ogres? These showed up in a couple of books I have read.

message 13: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 176 comments ♥Robin ♥ - were they main characters? I don't want to add anything too "out there" (especially if they are only supporting/minor characters). I don't think I've ever read a book with gnomes in it and ogres tend to be bad guys. I'll add them to post one anyway and see what others think

Robin (Saturndoo) (Scoobydoo0811) | 847 comments To Gnome Me Is To Love Me by M.A. Golla is the book I read with gnomes in it... In the Company of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez is one I have been contemplating LOL Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine also has ogres in it.

message 15: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 176 comments Learned something new! Different reading taste, I guess. As long as gnomes and/or ogres are main characters, I don't see an issue with having them on the list. I'm not really sure how the challenge is going to be setup yet (if it even works out), so I don't really know what's going to happen with this list.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20795 comments Neat idea, Cassandra.

message 17: by Elishia (new)

Elishia | 2598 comments This sounds good i'd def do it. I can't think of anything to add though at the moment, I didn't even no books existed for half of the things on the list.

message 18: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 176 comments Thanks Lisa Kay and Elishia! Some of the non humans on the list surprised me, I'll admit. I've read at least one book with most of them, but some were completely unexpected (like the gnomes).

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (Jyl22075) | 2336 comments Also, in God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1) by Kate Locke goblins have a large role. (I really liked this one, although reviews for it are definitely mixed.)

message 20: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 176 comments Goblins aren't on the list yet, so thanks for the suggestion, Jenny!

Robin (Saturndoo) (Scoobydoo0811) | 847 comments Ogre, Ogre (Xanth, #5) by Piers Anthony LOLOL Doesn't this look like Shrek if he was green?

message 22: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments ♥Robin ♥ wrote: "Ogre, Ogre (Xanth, #5) by Piers Anthony LOLOL Doesn't this look like Shrek if he was green?"

It does! We love Shrek in my house. We also think the shadow of my Yukon looks like Shrek when the sun is shining a certain over it...the rear view mirrors are his ears LOL

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.