Start by marking “Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)” as Want to Read:
Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)

Ogre, Ogre

(Xanth #5)

Smash, himself, was part ogre. Although ogres were considered so stupid they coud hardly speak, and spent their time eating young girls, seven assorted females had suddenly turned to him for guidance and saftety? In Xanth, one visit to the Good Magician Humfrey worked wonders....
paperback, 307 pages
Published June 23rd 1997 by Del Rey (first published July 12th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Ogre, Ogre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ogre, Ogre

David Monroe
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I discovered the Xanth series when this book came out. I went back and read the first four. I love them! I've recently introduced them to my son who doesn't enjoy reading, but really liked the first book. I've read the series at least four times. I (in my tiny circle) led a D&D campaign that I designed based on the Xanth books. It was the most fun I had as a DM!!
Stuart
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I first read this book when I was in 3rd grade, on loan from my neighbor Rolf Mueller. I remember thinking it a hoot, and though many years have passed since 3rd grade, I remembered the book fondly.
A few years back, while looking through a closing used book store, I found a paperback copy for $.50. I bought it, fully intending to read it again at some point. And, so I have done. And it was still a hoot.
It's a simple read, very punny, that tells the story of an ogre much more engaging
Bryan
Dec 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
This entire book was just "so so" until Chapter 13... at that point the book pulled things together in a very satisfying manner, and earned its 3.5 stars that I'll offer up.

Piers Anthony is dependable in certain ways. For the most part, his books are light fare - a little perverted in a weird and usually disgusting way, and a little bit humorous in descriptive minutiae.

And for most readers, that usually determines which ones stick with Piers Anthony, and which ones get tu
Stephanie
Jun 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This is the ONLY book I ever forbade my son to read. (He loves to tell people that his mother, the librarian, censored him!) He was in 7th grade and I didn't want him to read it because of the first scene in the book where an ogre tries to rape a woman in her own bedroom and then implies that all women "want it." Of course my son read the book on the sly but it sparked a recurring discussion about attitudes towards women that lasted across his teen aged years. I think that helped to make him the ...more
Kathy Kaylor
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Xanth is a Florida shaped land filled with magic, centars, zombies and murderous trees. I know these books are geared toward 15 year old boys but I love them.
Ryk Stanton
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
It is hard to believe that I used to be so dedicated to these books. Man, these were the gateway drug that led me to a life of reading fantasy, and now I can barely force myself to read them.

Where do you want to start? The blatant sexism? The preposterous premises? The hamhanded plot construction?

I fell out of love with this series around book #8 or so, when I realized that these books were constructed according to a very predictable, cookie-cutter type plot: an outcast character go
Alicia Cox
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was my first fantasy book.

I didn't have a great reading level in high school. I had not ever gotten to enjoy a book before then...
All of my reading up until this point was for learning which combined with the difficulty reading due to a minor learning disability had it to where I really didn't have an enjoyment of the written word.

My resource class assigned me to the Independent Reading class, and after a few questions about myself, the teacher (I wish I rememb
Cedar Sanderson
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this years ago and remember it as sweet and funny, I really should re-read it. But I know a lot of the later Xanth books for repetitious, boring, and far too punny to appreciate as a story. The main character, Smash, I enjoyed because at the time I read it, it turned the whole concept of ogre as villain on it's ear - and this was long before Shrek!
Shawn
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's ever rooted for the "Big Dumb Guy"
Shelves: favorites
To this day...still one of my favorite books. Yes it's silly. Yes it's pun filled. But at it's heart, it's the story of the "Big Dumb Guy" being more than a side character.It's him being the main character, not the sidekick there only to accrue damage so the main character can save the maiden. Cute, witty and genuinely lovable Ogre, Ogre win win your heart over.
Me2
Feb 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Read this book when I was young along with other Pearce Anthony books, but he is always adding things about naked women and other sexual suggestive things that finally turned me off from reading anymore of his books.
Sully Tarnish
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved the entire Xanth series when I was a boy.
Alycia
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
To begin, this book is geared towards young adults. It is meant to be a fun read, without the burden of a heavy plotline. If you are looking for something with a ton of substance, you will not find that in the Xanth series.

I originally read this book when I was a freshman in high school on a long drive to South Dakota to visit family in the summer. We stopped at a used book store and the cover (I know, I know, never judge a book by its cover) was so intriguing to me that I picked up the book wi
P.J. Wetzel
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the fifth book in Piers Anthony's Xanth series and the best of those first five by a wide margin. Piers Anthony has a quirky, almost clunky way of unfolding a story, but the deeper structure--the skeleton of his tales--is always sound and well imagined. Some story ideas just naturally stand out or resonate more than others, and this one did. Surely that's why it was the only one of the 30+ Xanth books to get on the New York Times Best Sellers list.

Ogre, Ogre is a classic 'bea
Karen
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the things that I love about the Xanth series is how characters met early on keep getting revisited -- either themselves or their offspring (and, I'm sure, further on it'll betheir offspring). This time around we've got the story of Dor's friend, the half-ogre Smash. Because of Good Magician Humphrey, he's travelling with Tandy who is the daughter of a nymph named Jewel and the Castle Roogna guard (and friend of Dor's father Bink), Crombie. They also get additional travelling companions a ...more
J Austill
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is were Xanth finally grows a beard (to mention a trope). Although it certainly follows the Xanth formula (which I mentioned in my review of A Spell for Chameleon):

"As a general rule, Xanth novels are about a protagonist who doesn't really fit in and has no idea what their purpose in life is or what group they would fit in with. That is, they are a normal young adult. They decide to go on a Quest and over the course of said Quest they discover who they are, where they belon
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all, fantasy readers
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Piers Anthony
"When a Nymph rides a Night Mare, Ogre beware!" the tagline reads, certainly grabbing my interest as the night mare Mare Imbrium is my most fave character. In this novel, Smash the Ogre and Tandy, are part of the second generation of the original Xanth characters. It has been rewarding seeing the characters mature, grow and have children in the magical world. I think that the land itself is receiving more canon and is being more fleshed out, and with that will come unlimited inspiration. I know ...more
Stephanie
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read
This was my first foray into the world of Xanth and I was not disappointed. I fell in love with Anthony's writing through the Apprentice Adept series, and snapped this book up without hesitation.

The book starts off with action right away, as you are introduced to Smash, an ogre that is more than meets the eye. He is sent on a quest to find his Answer and as a guardian to a young human/nymph. Anthony adds humor to his writing, and takes logical things and turns them into magical items, transform
Amanda Orneck
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quirky, funny, heartwarming, and satisfying. If you’re looking for the best that Piers Anthony has to offer, look no further than the fourth book in the Xanth series.

With the adventures of Smash the Ogre we really see a great writer hitting his stride. This is the sort of book that introduces you to the puntastic world of Xanth in a way that is meaningful and well crafted. While some of the previous novels felt as if the writer fell in love with a pun and simply let himself get sucked into the
Nicole
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ogre Ogre is another pun filled tale taking place in the land of Xanth.

Smash is half Ogre and half Curse-fiend but he considers himself an Ogre. Finding himself at the Magician Humfrey's castle Smash receives an answer for a question he does not ask. Baffled Smash agrees to travel with Tandy as protection. Their travels across Xanth cause the group to grow and Smash finds himself surrounded by girls he feels the need to protect. Since Smash considers himself an ogre and ogres h
Don LaFountaine
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
With book 5, the Xanth Series is firmly following the second generation of characters. Though Jewel and Grundy make cameo appearances, the main characters are Smash and Tandy, who are both offspring of original Xanth characters.

In this book Tandy, the daughter of Jewel and Crombie, escapes from a demon by riding a Night Mare to Magician Humphrey's castle. About a year later, Smash, the son of Crunch the Ogre and and a human curse-fiend, arrives at the castle. In lieu of the normal year's servic
Blake
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not bad. Pretty consistent with the rest of the series. I probably read this book too slowly, which made me think the middle was boring. But it certainly started and ended well. so far all the Xanth books have seemed to drag a bit in the middle, except probably the first two. but then again, i read the first two straight through rather quickly and books 3, 4 and 5 I spent several weeks just reading a page or two a day in the middle of the book before knocking out the last hundred pages within a ...more
Joan
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I grabbed this because I needed a book that would be easy to hold as opposed to the over 800 page main book I'm reading (Bully Pulpit). However, I think Anthony has done better than this particular title. I got a bit bored when he started repeating themes he's used in other books like having the protagonist enter fantasy worlds within other fantasy worlds to solve an issue. Or maybe those other books copied the idea from this one, this is a fairly old title of his. I loved Smash as a character. ...more
Hunter Bix
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can't help but love the puns and general silly ways of Anthony's writings. Also, it can, at times, be fairly imaginative. This was, though, the worst Xanth book I've read. I mean, for one, Dor/Bink aren't in it! (Well, Dor is briefly in it but still...) Also, it's about Smash, a half-ogre, and seven seemingly random females of Xanth. And I didn't really like how Smash conveniently was cursed by the Eye Queue from almost the beginning to almost the end, conveniently making it so that his dialog ...more
Carolynn Markey
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had mixed feelings about this book. On one hand I really liked it. I loved how it talks about consent in sexual relationships and I really like Smash the Ogre.

(view spoiler) I love how Tandy and Smash (view spoiler)

I did like this book--but I g
Kate H
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Xanth books by Piers Anthony were one of the first SciFi/Fantasy series I ever read. I love puns so I have always enjoyed them. Upon re-reading them I can see that they have some weaknesses but overall they stand the test of time. They are a fun and fast read that keeps me amused without any deep thinking required.
Wendy
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it
The Xanth books are a cross between fairy tales and fantasy. You finally find out where nightmares come from: mares that come out at night. That means there are also day mares. This is probably my favorite of the few Xanth books I have read.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Xanth novels are a quick, fun and funny read. Great starter books for young fantasy readers. There is a ton of them and you can pick up any of them and start. Very recommended
Kimberly
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING book! this ogre is probably, NO IS, the BEST ogre you will ever know! and all of the girl that traveled with him...well, they were strong, smart, and completely AWESOME!!!
Kevin Driskill
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A bit racy and sexist to start with but as always with Anthony punny and engaging.
Kathy Davie
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my least favorite Xanth titles...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • Castle for Rent (Castle Perilous, #2)
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • The Secular Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #4)
  • Riders of the Winds (Changewinds, #2)
  • Saint Camber (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #2)
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover #3)

Piers is a self-proclai

Xanth (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth #10)
  • Heaven Cent (Xanth #11)
“She would have to ride the nightmare in her sleep. Only that would keep it material, or enable her to dematerialize with it.” 4 likes