UK Book Club discussion

Around the World in 80 Books > Steph's "Around the World" challenge

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Oct 25, 2012 04:02AM) (new)

Stephanie | 26 comments Hey all,

Have spotted a few challenges like this and thought I would start my first one here - really looking forward to finding some diverse texts! I will use books I have already read in 2012, though I suspect that won't throw up much variation!

1. The Book Thief - Germany
2. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - USA
3.Me Before You - England (assume we can split the UK into seperate nations?)
4. My Journey with the Angels. Patricia Buckley - Ireland
5. Honeymoon in Paris: A Novella- France

message 2: by Em, Moderator (new)

Em (EmmaP) | 2867 comments Mod
I have and in fact, I think virtually everyone else has for purposes of the challenge and to appease our vocal Welsh members too... ;)

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 26 comments Excellent! Well I've definitely got a Scotland, but NI and Wales I will have a think about. Awesome! :)

message 4: by Tony (last edited Sep 27, 2012 06:32AM) (new)

Tony Talbot | 32 comments Are you including biography / non fiction? I'd recommend The Worst Journey in the World: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48...
for Antarctica :-)

...and on the fiction front I just read The Terror: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39... should wrap up Canada and the Arctic!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 26 comments I was wondering that exact question earlier and I think I will include biography and non-fiction as it not only broadens the spectrum of the challenge but gives me a bit more diversity in my reading, thanks!

Will definitely go for The Worst Journey in the World. Thanks for the tips!

message 6: by Tony (new)

Tony Talbot | 32 comments Stephanie wrote: "I was wondering that exact question earlier and I think I will include biography and non-fiction as it not only broadens the spectrum of the challenge but gives me a bit more diversity in my readin..."

You're very welcome!

message 7: by Ian, Moderator (last edited Sep 30, 2012 05:12AM) (new)

Ian (PepeCan) | 5541 comments Mod
The group Around the World in 80 books "rules" are set out at the start of the Challenge thread and refined through posts on that thread - mostly as gentle banter between Bob and me as judge, jury and executioner lol, but as general points:

a) There is no restriction at all on genres.
b) As for the UK - you can have England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland plus the Channel Islands as a group
c) Countries are as current in 2012
d) Exceptions to above are occupied countries like Tibet

And of course if you want to go off on a tangent and do it differently, then feel free....enjoy your travels Stephanie.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 26 comments Ian, thanks for the above. This challenge has certainly got me planning what I want to read!

Just finished My Journey with the Angels. Patricia Buckley for Ireland. I would never have gone out of my way to pick this up, it was lent to me and I thought I would give it a go in the name of diversity. It hasn't made me believe in angels, but I did find the author's story to be incredibly poignant - it was one of those books that made me feel grateful for a comfortable, happy and healthy life.

Just working out where to go next, I think India is on the cards :)

message 9: by Tony (new)

Tony Talbot | 32 comments Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi, maybe?

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 26 comments I read Life of Pi a few years ago (and really enjoyed it) so think I will be going for The White Tiger :)

message 11: by Em, Moderator (new)

Em (EmmaP) | 2867 comments Mod
I liked The White Tiger, took a few pages to get into it I seem to remember, but once I was I found it pretty difficult to put down. Hope you enjoy it!

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1338 comments You have probably finished it by now - I really enjoyed The White Tiger!

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 26 comments Ohh no, haven't started yet but it's on the agenda. I got halfway through it on holiday in Spain a year or so ago, but put it down for some reason - time to get back on it :)

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 26 comments Rather than India, I popped over to France for a novella, Honeymoon in Paris: A Novella, an introduction to the characters in The Girl You Left Behind. Short but sweet, not earth shattering.