Ask Nelson DeMille - October 18, 2012 discussion

Ask Nelson!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Margo (new)

Margo (maothrockmorton) | 1 comments Mod
Welcome to the group! Nelson will be answering questions on Thursday, October 18, 2012. In the meantime if you have a question for Nelson or just want to introduce yourself feel free to do so in this thread.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanieq) | 1 comments When are you going to write a sequel/follow-up to Up Country?
Loved the characters and the setting. Your experience in Vietnam came alive brilliantly in Up Country.

message 3: by Gregg (new)

Gregg | 1 comments I'm a big fan of your work and a published novelist myself with one thriller currently on the market (through a print-on-demand publisher) and I've just completed my second one, a sequel. What advice do you have for new novelists trying to find an agent and publisher? Also, I look forward to hearing you speak in Collingswood, NJ the end of Nov.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Meier (traymeier) | 1 comments My favorite book of all time is The Charm School. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it. Are there any plans to make it into a film?

I also loved The Gold Coast. I enjoy your work and appreciate your ability to pull the reader into the story and the characters. Your dialog with the characters is so real and makes me feel a part of the story. Do you discuss the lines out loud with someone else or do you create it all in your head?

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard (rwpointer) | 1 comments Like Tracy, I think The Charm School is a great novel. It fits for me in the same class as James Clavell's Shogun. It takes the reader into another world, acquaints them, and makes them never want to leave. What kink of preparation does a novelist have to do to display a deep knowledge of culture, ambience, and details of a place? For example, how would go about writing an East End thriller set in the 1880s?

message 6: by Derek (last edited Oct 16, 2012 07:12PM) (new)

Derek Allen (ravenfeathers) | 4 comments Hello, Big fan of your John Corey novels. Can't wait for the audio book, is it good to work with Scott Brick? Currently listening to The Charm School, hard to get into but I will try again.
In one of the Corey novels John is on a plane and he gets to watch the film "The General's Daughter" I found this to be a brilliant hook. What was your inspiration to have your character to this and to have such a humorous take on the viewing?

Update on 10-16-12
Well Mr. DeMiille reading "The Book Case" the other day got my feelings of anticipation revved up to maximum! I am about to begin my audio version of "The Panther" and after "reading" your other books and the interview you did with Scott Brick, I know you enjoy the listen as well. Thank you even before I start, good or bad John Corey is back, so there is bound to be trouble.... for someone.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Skille | 1 comments Huge huge fan of the John Corey series! I've also read Up Country, Charm School, and Mayday (which I finished in 2 days, I couldn't put it down!). I am ridiculously excited that a new Corey book is coming out.

message 8: by Jetdrvr (new)

Jetdrvr | 1 comments Hi, Nelson. Have enjoyed several of your books, including the Charm School and Up Country. I have some experience on the Horn. Just wondered if you'd spent time in Yemen doing research? Would be interesting to learn how you stayed alive in the process.

message 9: by piyush (new)

piyush (Simplereader) | 3 comments HI! Nelson. What can I say in so few a words and so little a space. Mainly that you have spoilt me for another author. My take - although I do like the story plots of your novels, I particularly just cherish the underlying wit of the main character woven intricately into the narrative topped by just a hint of hankering after the female guile.

I have read ALL of your books leading upto the Panther. Enjoyed 'Plum Island' the most, 'Wildfire' a very close second. 'Gate House' was a disappointment.
Would very much like to read a sequel to 'Upcountry' not necessarily for the war scene details but again for the very interesting characters.

Best wishes and hope you continue churning out these bestsellers (again, for my selfish reading habit!!)

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Mulligan (elainemulligan-lynch) | 1 comments Dear Mr. DeMille,

Thank you for taking time away from your writing. My question:

What is the best career decision you have ever made?

Kindest Regards,

Elaine in Dover, Florida

message 11: by David (new)

David | 1 comments Hi, Nelson. I bought a copy of "By The Waters Of Babylon" shortly after it came out and have been reading your books ever since then. My particular favorites were "Word of Honor" and "The General's Daughter."

I'm interested in the process you use when writing a book. How much time do you spend on research and plotting before you start writing, or do you start writing once you have the idea for a book and then research as you go along?

I'm also interested in how you found your agent for "Babylon?" (Yes, I have a novel manuscript in the mystery genre I've completed and I'm looking for an agent myself. I've had a couple short stories published, including one in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine that won the Robert L. Fish award at this year's Edgars.)

Thank you for taking the time to respond to these questions, and I look forward to reading "The Panther."

All the best.

message 12: by Sean (new)

Sean | 1 comments Hi Nelson,

Huge fan here, I've been reading and recommending your books since Plumb Island was a new release. As a huge fan of John Corey and one who is always clamoring for more Corey, I was wondering if you get sick of writing John Corey's? Is there a character you'd like to go back to that you feel has more story left to tell?

Any ideas for a new IP that you're excited about?

Thanks,

Sean

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill Vanoss I remember a delayed flight in Dallas and being stuck at the gate area for six hours. Looking up from The Lion I realized everyone around me in the terminal was reading a DeMille novel. Your novels are remarkable. You make air travel almost enjoyable.

I've now read all your novels and am looking forward to the Panther. Thanks for all you do.

Bill
w5pt@yahoo.com

message 14: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Librizzi I have been reading all of my life and I always wait patiently for a book of yours to hit the shelves. I have taken note of every time your words on the page make me laugh out loud (and that is a lot) and go back now and again just for a good laugh. You really have a way with words. Your characters and stories are priceless. I don't really have a question just a statement....thanks and keep them coming. Darlene

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan | 1 comments What movies are in the works for your books?

message 16: by M.H. (new)

M.H. | 1 comments My family and I love your books. For many of us, The Charm School is our favorite book of all time. My question is...do you do all of your own writing, or do you have a writing partner? If you have partner, how do you divide the work?

message 17: by Dave (new)

Dave | 1 comments As with many others, one of my favorite books of all time is The Charm School. I am trying to explain the feeling (terror) it conveys to someone who did not live through The Cold War (my son-in-law). Any suggestions on how to do so.

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Elsborg Hi Mr. DeMille,
I've read all your books. My favorites are Spencerville and The Charm School. I like your sharp wit which brings your characters to life for me. Do you plan your novels in detail before you start writing or do you just sit and let it pour out - as I do?

message 19: by D (new)

D | 1 comments Hi Nelson,

I enjoy your books and have The Panther on preorder. The Charm School was my first and favorite of your writing.

If you could choose actors to play John Corey and Kate, who would you pick?

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1 comments Hi Nelson,

The first book I ever read of yours was The Gold Coast. At the time, I was living in Sea Cliff so many of the places you spoke of in that book were familiar. I absolutely loved John Sutter. His sense of humor made me laugh out loud. I actually read that book more than once. I was so hoping (for years) that you would write a sequel because I enjoyed the first book so much. I just found out yesterday that there is in fact a sequel - The Gate House which I will start reading today!!!!!!!!!! I guess I am a bit behind but thank you for bringing this character back.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments Mr. DeMille,
You write with such knowledge of whichever topic is the books focus, and it seems in most cases, some inside intel (or psychic ability.) My first question is, do you create the storylines and characters from the ether of your imagination, or do you really have a deep inside gov't job that you draw
inspiration from? And either way, why the heck don't YOU run for prez and clean this $@&! up?
Seriously, the next question, are you a war veteran? You write with such passion and knowledge of emotion for those charachtesr in service.
Thanks for the newsletters. It's a little Nelson fix between stories and books. Write on!

message 22: by Raq (new)

Raq Kaile | 1 comments Derek wrote: "Hello, Big fan of your John Corey novels. Can't wait for the audio book, is it good to work with Scott Brick? Currently listening to The Charm School, hard to get into but I will try again.
In one ..."

Me too, I have all the JohnCorey novels. I really love his sarcasm and bullheaded style. I can't wait to read the The Phanter and hope to read more!

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris (cmtuttle) | 1 comments No questions.......... would just like to thank Mr DeMille for his service to our country. I am glad you found success as an author. I am one of your fans and look forward to every new book you write! Thanks again..... Christine Tuttle from Dunellen NJ

message 24: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lerch My husband and I have enjoyed all of the John Corey novels and are anxiously awaiting the Panther. At the end of the last audiobook you spoke with Scott Brick about the locale of the newest book and that we should expect to see John Corey head to Yemen. We've since watched events unfold in the Middle East and wonder, how do you always know when you're choosing a setting that it will be so relevant when the book comes out?

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy (greenapple6) | 1 comments Hi Mr. DeMille,
Though I've read everything of yours, your John Corey books are hands down the best. He is the ultimate smartass and I go from snickering to flat out laughing out loud going through each book. The adventures are always amazing, but the characters are in a word, awesome.
I just want to know where you got the character of John Corey from. Is he all you, or is he the alter ego? The batman to your Bruce Wayne?

message 26: by Drew (new)

Drew | 1 comments Mr. DeMille,

I am a huge fan and have read all of your work, most more than once. I came across Cathedral when I was in high school and have not stopped since. My favorite is definitely The Charm School, although every St. Patty's Day I do get the urge to re-read Cathedral. When I went to NYC for the first time, I spent an hour (to the annoyance of my family) wandering around St. Patricks with the novel running through my head.

My question is what type of books do you enjoy reading when you are not writing/researching your own books?

Thanks, and I am looking forward to reading The Panther, which I am sure I will read in about a 24 hour period and then I will be groaning that I'm done and have to wait until your next novel....but it is always worth the wait. Thanks again --- Drew

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom | 1 comments How long and what had you been writing, and how long did it take, before your first book was published? Thanks for the great stories and for your kind offer to answer our questions. Tom

message 28: by James (new)

James Sparks (jamessparks) | 1 comments Is Ted Nash REALLY dead? Gone for good this time?

I'm not sure John Corey could take another 'ghost' appearance later down the line :-)

message 29: by Alice (new)

Alice Neilson | 1 comments I have loved all of your books. When I was reading Charm School, I was visiting a nephew who came home with a date and she saw the book and asked if I was reading it. She exclaimed that it was her favorite book! She also said that she happened to read it when she went to Moscow and that the places you described were perfect! You could find your way around, just reading the book.

I have enoyed them all. Can't wait to read the latest.

message 30: by Froylan (new)

Froylan Ramirez | 1 comments Although I am a John Corey fan, I do so enjoy Paul Brenner much more. Selecting John Travolta to play the screen version of Paul Brenner, all I can say is that as I read Up Country, it was his face I saw in my mind. Perfect casting! In the appendix you mention that Up Country was considered being made into a movie. Have those plans fallen through? I thoroughly enjoyed this book, anxiously await a sequel if any, and would be first in line to see the movie.

message 31: by Mark (new)

Mark (marklberry) | 1 comments Mr. DeMille,

While I'm looking forward to another adventure with John Corey, and also love the Paul Brenner, John Sutter, and stand-alone novels, when are you going to write another aviation thriller like Mayday with retired Captain Thomas Block? I enjoyed his new novel Captain and think the time is ripe for for another collaboration between you two. Especially with the renewed interest in aviation that the Discovery Channel garnered with their recent documentary "Plane Crash."

Cheers, Mark L Berry
Airline Pilot / Author

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (crookshanks71) | 1 comments You scared the #$&! out of me at the end of the last John Corey book. Did you realize that some readers were going to interpret the ending of that novel as John Corey dying? Do you do this deliberately?

message 33: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 3 comments I am your number one fan. I know, everyone says that!! I got hooked when I read Plum Island and have been reading your books ever since then. I agree with Jennifer on the last John Corey book. I was afraid John Corey's days were over. I've been waiting for another John Corey novel and can't wait to start reading The Panther. Will you be writing more John Corey books? Funny/strange but I always picture you as John Corey as I'm reading your books. I just love the banter between the characters and find myself laughing out loud. Love your books!!

message 34: by Jason (last edited Oct 10, 2012 02:34PM) (new)

Jason Gross (JasonGross) | 1 comments Mr. Demille,
I really love your writings! Word of Honor is my favorite. I can't wait to get your new book when it comes out. I know you will keep up the good work, thank you for all the well written joy you have provided us! For your next protagonist how about a former US Marine for us devildogs.
Jason Gross
Sales/SSgt U.S.M.C disabled

message 35: by Al (new)

Al (oznob) | 1 comments I have been a big fan since I picked up and read Plum Island and I love John Corey's style. However, I do have a question, Sullivan County Airport? How did you find that place? Living outside of DC I almost fainted when the Corey's went there for their sky diving adventure...... Excellent!

message 36: by Eric J. (new)

Eric J. Gates (ericjgates) Hi Nelson,
Almost missed a plane because of 'Rivers of Babylon' so many years ago. Read most of yours (missing only the latest & The Lion). The John Corey books are clear favourites, though. My question: you have an uncanny knack of knowing how to dose humour in your thrillers in such a way it alleviates tension, yet doesn't slow the tale down. What's your trick? Keep up the great work.

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen Borders | 1 comments Hi Nelson,
My dad turned me onto your books this past summer, and I have read almost all of them now. I work in a Library and he was so excited when I told him a new one was releasing soon. My question is, who would play John Corey in a movie, and do you have hopes of these books for the big screen?
Can't wait for The Panther!

message 38: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseaanne) Dear Mr. Nelson Demille:

I have read all your books but of all of them, the one book that has changed my life (I can only say that about 6 books and I am 49) because of what I have gone through in my own life, was the book entitled "Word of Honor". Thank you for writing such a powerful work of fiction.

message 39: by Joan (last edited Oct 10, 2012 08:39PM) (new)

Joan Wise (joan46) | 1 comments Dear Mr. De Mille,

I buy all your books as soon as they come out. My personal favorites are the Gold Coast and Spencerville. Thank you so much for all the reading pleasure.

I also know if I start reading one of your books - I will get nothing else done until I finish it.

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather Larsen | 1 comments I've been a big fan since jr high when I read The Charm School. That book, and Up Country, are my favorites. Thank you for such excellent and prolific writing.

What has been your favorite book to write? Why?

Could you please recommend the best process to follow to get a first novel published?

Thank you!

message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate Dee (ktd1969) | 1 comments How much of you ends up in the John Corey character? How difficult do you find writing about events that took place over a decade or so ago? Thanks for the entertainment.

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol Caverly | 2 comments I'm a big fan and have read most of your books. The most recent was The Book Case, a Kindle offering also starring John Corey. I really enjoyed it! As always the humor was a bright point. I thought, perhaps it was a short story. Are there any more of them?
Looking forward to The Panther
Carol Caverly

message 43: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 4 comments How do I get a copy of The Book Case for my Kindle? Is this still available?

message 44: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Cox | 1 comments Like many of the other posters, my favorite of your books was The Charm School. I'd love to see you do a sequel, particularly since a whole new generation needs to know what happened to the POW/MIAs. Have you ever considered that? I've read everything you've written that's been published, and always recommend your books to others. I can't wait to read the next one!

message 45: by Bill (new)

Bill (degreesofgrey) | 1 comments The first book of yours that I read was "Plum Island" which I bought because I was living in Niantic, CT at the time and could see the island on a clear day. I was immediately hooked and read all the rest and subsequent ones. I also would like to know if a Paul Brenner sequel is forthcoming. Is there a possibility that Paul and John Corey could work on a case together? Looking forward to The Panther.

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary | 1 comments Wow, I have read all of your books, and Rivers of Babylon was the first "military" themed book I had ever read--but loved it. I love the humor in your books, and it always drives my husband crazy that I am lying in bed laughing out loud at the numerous smart-assed comments from John or Paul. So, I love your sense of humor--it's what keeps me coming back for more, but my all time favorite was The Charm School! A near-perfect book! Thanks for the great characters and interesting plots.

message 47: by Gayle (new)

Gayle | 1 comments My first book of yours was Spencerville. I was hooked and have loved every single book since. You are such a powerful writer, and your humor is so endearing! Up Country was a favorite, I wish all your books were that thick! Thank you for sharing your talent and sarcasm! I only hate how much time I must wait in between books.

message 48: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Hammerhead | 1 comments Will you ever be coming to south Florida?

message 49: by Lorraine (last edited Oct 13, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

Lorraine | 1 comments I've read all of your books and I enjoy your intelligent topics and writing. By far you are my favourite author!

Like many people above my favourites are Charm School, and the John Sutter and John Corey books.

My question is who do you like to read?

Keep writing since I've got all of my friends hooked on your books. I'm not starting another book until I have the Panther downloaded next week ;o).

message 50: by Gary (new)

Gary Nilsen (gary_nilsen) Greeting from a fellow Long Islander. I was curious how you approached your research on Yemen. Having lived in Saudi Arabia for some years, I know it's difficult to sample the flavor of these countries. I look forward to reading The Panther so I can catch up with John and Kate...

« previous 1 3

Ask Nelson DeMille - October 18, 2012

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Word of Honor (other topics)