Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Local bookstores

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Storm (new)

Storm (poefinn) | 39 comments I have a local bookstore that has only one shop Exclusively to the town I live in, in my town there is also a Whsmith, but i prefer the Exclusive one, because whereas with Whsmith you can only order and buy whatever they have on they're website and in-store, with the exclusive bookstore i can order any book in, and if they can't find it or its out of printing, they put in they're book in case it comes up.

I love these kind of bookstores because the people who work there are so nice, they know my name off by heart, and im always in there, and i wanted to know if anyone else had a exclusive bookstore, or a bookstore that they are regonized immeditley in?

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Sadly, most of the bookstores by me are large chains. But the other day, when I was driving home, I saw a new bookstore not far from my house. It is both a used and a new store, and I was really surprised since so many businesses have been run out. I have to stop by there soon and check it out!

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Duder (thomasduder) I'm lucky - here in Bellingham there are two used bookstores right across the way from one another, not to mention a Barnes and Nobles near the mall, and many other locations carry newer books 'round here.

But those two are my favorites - usually when one doesn't carry something I want, the other does. It's actually rather rare that neither has what I want, and both are located downtown so I'm pretty much riiiiight in the middle of the action. Plenty of places seaside or overlooking the bay to read, and coffee as a mutha.

Remember, always be cool with a used bookstore owner - the coolest thing the owner of one showed me was a hand-crafted old school (and I DO mean old) edition of Dante's Inferno. I'm talkin' about old Italian, tiny-sized, 4 grand value freakn' book here~! And the guy he bought it off of found it at a church sale for 1 dollar~!

message 4: by Kriscinda (new)

Kriscinda Everitt (kleveritt) Eljay's in Pittsburgh. Best books in da Burgh!

chucklesthescot We have a second hand bookshop which has a nice YA and horror section. I've been shopping there for 20 years and all the staff know me. It's nice to see everyone smile when I come in!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) We have two second hand used bookstores> one is tiny and I dont go to it, a bit far and it was real unorganized when I went in there. The second is nice and has been around a long time, know they are struggling because of ebooks and people not reading as much

We have a chain store, Books a Million, also

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 340 comments We don't have a large number of bookstores in my town because Barnes & Noble ran many of them out of business.
But besides the Barnes & Noble we have one independent bookstore, Watermark, and a few used bookstores.
My favorite is the Bookaholics, a used bookstore. We have three of these.

message 8: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t within 10miles of my door we have: 4 used book stores, barnes & noble & books a million

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 223 comments There are a couple of used bookstores close to where I work. I also like to go to Goodwill because they have some jewels every now and then.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Pat wrote: "within 10miles of my door we have: 4 used book stores, barnes & noble & books a million"

How nice! We used to have a Barnes N Nobles but ours shut down a few yrs back

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellymatherly) | 34 comments Living in a big city (Houston) there are a lot of options for book stores. My 2 favorite small book stores are Blue Willow Bookshop and Murder By The Book. Both stores hold several author meet and greets every month. You can also ask any employee to recommend a book based on a previous book you read. They are fantastic.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I wish we had one around here. There are a few book exchange places but they are more about trading-in books. Which is not a bad thing, mind you, but both are in kind of seedy strip malls.

My very favorite is all the way across the state from Detroit...in Traverse City, MI. I was hooked from the moment I came through the door. One of the things I really liked was their table of staff picks. I found quite a few titles I wasn't aware of.

message 13: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Loafman | 3 comments Local bookstores are the best.