Avengers Assemble! discussion

The Comics > Last TPB bought?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by michelle+8 (last edited Oct 20, 2012 09:17AM) (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Spider-Man Origin of the Species by Mark Waid
Spider-Man: Origin of the Species

Amazing Spider-Man is my favorite. Though this one wasn't the best (I didn't really care for the way Peter Parker was drawn in it), it was still pretty good. I got emotionally involved with Spider-Man trying to save the baby, and there was a twist in the middle that totally got me.

At the end there's a bunch of short stories. Some are good, some are only ok.

message 2: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) I love to see him in the Avengers! :)

message 3: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) That's one I haven't read, but I've been thinking I should since it kind of informs AvX.

message 4: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Ok, think I'll have to get it, then!

message 5: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Yay!

message 6: by Zach (new)

Zach | 2 comments Death of captain America omnibus. Great book couldn't put it down.

message 7: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 436 comments Mod
After seeing 'Winter Soldier', I think I'm going to track down the Essential Captain America volumes this weekend when I hit the comic shop.

and just got one of the Alan Davis Captain Britain TPBs. Decent story, awesome art.

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack Stubblefield | 17 comments I'm sorry to say that the last TPB I read was "The Winter Soldier." Realized before the movie came out that I hadn't read that story arc. Reacquainted myself with Cap just after his 'death.' Winter Soldier was great stuff. Brubaker was on fire!

message 9: by Travis (new)

Red Hulk: the volume where they have to explain everything and, boy was that a train wreck.

Might check out the volume after this, as it's a new writer and a different focus. I don't hate the idea of the Red Hulk, but this story, and the six other Hulks they created, really made a mess of things.

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Helme | 1 comments Rr

message 11: by Travis (new)

Just read Winter Soldier myself and enjoyed it.
The movie did a nice job of trimming off some of the jumble of the story, but it was fun to see scenes from the comic that were lifted right of the comic for the movie.

The Falcon in this story is the guy from the movie. Very cool.

message 12: by Travis (new)

Journey into mystery: on a big Thor kick lately so I picked up this series featuring his on again-off again girlfriend, the warrior woman Sif.

Pretty fun stuff, as Sif wishing to do more to protect Asgard becomes overcome by a Berserker spell and ends up fighting a bunch of old sci-fi monsters, as well as Spider-man.

message 13: by Travis (new)

Essential Avengers: just got to that grey area, post-Cap's quartet, when Goliath and the Wasp showed up and we are on the edge of losing Quicksilver and the Witch.

Fun stuff, as we've had a bunch of 'firsts' in appearances and the group is in flux, heading for the classic line up that we had for a long stretch.

B+W art gets a little muddy at times, but otherwise a solid collection

message 14: by Todd (new)

Todd Glaeser | 4 comments Showcase Presents: Batman Vol. 6

While Neil Adams is the Name in this volume, it's really Jim Aparo who is the Batman Artist that represents the key artist for me. The stories are average and sometimes forced but the art carries most of them.

message 15: by Travis (new)

Jim Aparo is THE Batman artist for me.
I like Neil Adams, but Aparo is who I think of when I think of my perfect Batman.
Love his run on Outsiders, as well as his Phantom Stranger and Aquaman.

message 16: by Travis (new)

Essential Avengers: think it's vol. 3. Fun stuff as Cap's quartet is starting to phase out and Goliath makes his first appearances.

B+W is a little muddy, but otherwise some good stuff.

message 17: by Travis (new)

Ms. Marvel: got the first TPB for my wife after watching the TV show.
Fun to see what the show kept and what it changed.
Art was kind of cartoony, but I like that it kept her street level.
The show got too big, too fast for my tastes.