Gone Girl Gone Girl discussion

Do you recommend this book? Why?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adriana Aviles I've had people recommend this book, but when I read the description it seems kind of dark. Did you read this book? Why would you recommend it?

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel It is definitely dark.

But, it is very well-written, fast-paced, keeps you guessing.

It's also, oddly, darkly humorous at times and even makes some rather valid points about the nature of pop-culture driven lives.

I would HEARTILY recommend it. And? I'd be interested to know what you thought when you've finished.

Paul Harmon Well Yeah it's dark, have you ever read a murder mystery that was bright and cheery :).
Yes I recommend this as well as her other two books...both very dark but both amazing as well.
Cheers

Maureen DARK and Twisted. Would make a stellar film.

Vivi I liked it, since it was different. You never know what will happen until the end, and still not your usuall ending.

Josh It depends.

Flynn is not an impressive writer, evidenced by the fact that she cannot produce an original phrase to save her live, choosing instead to carry the narrative on a wave of hackneyed expressions. She makes a nod at this herself, mentioning throughout the book just how predicatble and "movie-like" the circumstances are, but I feel this is a poor excuse for weak writing, and I'm doubtful there is much merit in using cliche as a writing tool. My only guess here is that Flynn is badly vying for her book to be made into a movie, and this is her tounge in cheek way of expressing this desire.

Part of me thinks the book as actually a parody of the sort of books that rise to frenzied popularity like this one, which would make the author as plotting and manipulative as a certain character in her book. If that were the case, then the author has my respect.

Though I'm not holding my breath.

The supposed twists the author takes the reader through are cheap and contrived. You can almost hear her crying "Gotcha!" at every turn. There is little satisfaction to be found here.

But I did enjoy the book, despite myself. It is an easy, thoughtless beach read, and sometimes that's all you want. Of course, to some this is where literary standards peak, so if this is the case for you, then by all means, pick up a copy. You'll love it.

Heather I had a weird interaction with this book. I didn't really like it; I hated the characters and was unimpressed with the writing style, but for some reason I was voraciously reading it.

Julie Albright I devoured this book, but also agree with the others that the characters can be irritating... you just can't put it down!! I didn't feel like "Gone Girl" was any darker than any other murder mystery. To be honest, I read "Dark Places" right after this book and I have to say I felt like "Gone Girl" was a walk in the park comparatively when it comes to dark themes and digging into some really unseemly territory. When I recover, I can't wait to read "Sharp Objects." :)

BTW, Gone Girl has already been optioned for movie rights, with Reese Witherspoon playing the wife: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07...

Paul Harmon Julie wrote: "I devoured this book, but also agree with the others that the characters can be irritating... you just can't put it down!! I didn't feel like "Gone Girl" was any darker than any other murder myste..."

From What I heard the book had a bidding war for movie rights before it was even released.

message 10: by Anita (last edited Sep 25, 2012 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anita I enjoyed reading this book. It is well written. There are twists and turns that left me very surprised and wanting to read more. It was one of the better reads of the summer.

message 11: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Often, reading is escapism.

I don't often feel the need to sit in superior literary judgement over the writing.

Popular fitction, rarely, strives or even needs to be great literature.

I actually found she had a couple of very insightful lines regarding pop fiction.

message 12: by Tyler (last edited Sep 26, 2012 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tyler She's a pretty great writer as far as I can tell. There were actually a few lines that gave me pause because they struck me as really insightful, "well-written". Not sure how to explain that feeling any better but urge to stop and re-read a neat sentence rarely happens to me. Besides that her characters are real and original. I never see women characters written with this much complexity and that are believable. She writes characters that are not even close to being perfect which most popular fiction does. The plotting was great as well. Not sure what else you can ask for. A heartwarming ending? That's not going to happen.

Jennifer Morefield Personally, I really enjoyed this book. It was a page turner that I couldn't put down. It was dark, but that is the way with murder mysteries. Murder and crime are dark. I loved the twists and turns and felt it was a bit different from the norm. I loved the ending. It was very satisfying for me.

Mari Anne I enjoyed this book but ultimately I have found it to be somewhat forgettable. However Flynn did create one of the best female villians I have read in a while. Amy is a cross between Cruella DeVille and Glenn Close's character in Fatal Attraction. She makes this book worth reading. I recently read "The Survivor" and found it to be a more compelling and interesting thriller.

Tarsh I thoroughly enjoyed this book because of the ‘villain’. I LOVE getting a book that has a villain you end up hating passionately! The twist and turns were both irritating and fun. I thought it was very clever.

Cheryl, The Book Contessa Im with Vivi & Heather--I liked the book; then didn't like it at all; but like a train wreck, couldn't put it down. I thought all of the characters were despicable; and rooted for them anyway. The ending--Im still stumped by it. My review of this book contains spoilers.

Kristi I had a really hard time with this book. It was recommended to me by several friends. I was halfway through by the time I really got into it. It was very exciting for a little bit. However, I thought the ending was terrible. Since I enjoyed less than half of this book, I have to say that I do not recommend it.

Lorrie I wouldn't recommend it but I'm grateful that someone recommended it to me. It was disgusting but addicting. Reminded me of my past marriage at its' worst.

Beverley Albright I absolutely would recommend this book. I thought the whole twisted tale was smart, intense, and I could see it really happening to someone. The ending was especially clever. I think Ms. Flynn should write a sequel to find out the future story of these characters!

Beth Yes, I read this book and, yes, I'd recommend it because I think most people would like it. I'd warn them that the end stinks, though.

Stella Lavelle Well written. Talking about twisted............Did not like the ending but I got it why it ended up that way. There should be a sequel to end it right.

JoAnn I would recommend it because the book has an interesting premise and some good twists; however, I would warn a potential reader that the main characters are totally unlikeable. If you need characters that you'll like and pull for, avoid Gone Girl.

message 23: by Joy (new) - rated it 1 star

Joy I did not like the book. The characters were both despicable. It was well written but I only finished it to see how it ended.

message 24: by Nick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nick The characters were both despicable, its very dark, there is lots of profanity and the supporting cast of characters are more or less knit wits. That being said the premise is intriguing, the plot uses current pop culture to its advantage and it is certainly a page turner. I was disappointed with the conclusion but didn't see much of any other choice. I would recommend this book only with a disclaimer.

message 25: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Montemayor This is the best book I have read all year. The twists and turns are really unexpected. I have never liked a book so much that had such unlikable main characters.

message 26: by CJ (new) - rated it 1 star

CJ I don't hate many books but I definitely hated this one! I wanted the time back that I spent reading it. Disliked the style and the characters. It seemed like a total NEGATIVE waste of my precious time.

Michele Coleman YES !!!! Very good very twisted suspense !! Seems predictable till halfway through then just really kicks in. I work in a library nad it seems to be among the most popular read right now. if you like suspense and a lot of twist jump into this book for a great ride and enjoy !