UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Live Events > Live Event with Stuart Ayris - 18th of October 2012 at 7.30pm

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Next in line for the UKAKF live events is Stuart Ayris. The event is set for Thursday October 18th, at 7.30pm UK time, right here.

So once again, we will all be able to ask plenty of questions about Stu as a writer, and Stu as a reader. And about the Frugality series, A Cleansing of Souls, and about what his hugs are like.
Now, people, we have been set a challenge by Stuart himself. We need to come up with more questions than whoever questioned him about the NHS the other day (and apparently she asked A LOT of questions), and we need to come up with the question that he can’t answer. So it’s not too early to start thinking about a strategy and how we’re going to achieve that !

If you want to be in for a lovely evening with us, come along on the night. Looking forward to seeing you there !

This thread is going to be closed until just before the event. Don't forget to bookmark the link so you can find it easily !

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Don't forget to note this in your diaries everyone!

message 3: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments 7.30 spot on... Hi everyone ! Stu are you around?

message 4: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Anyone here? Don't be shy, say hi !

message 5: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Yep - managed to tear myself away from The Hairy Bikers Mum Knows Best programme!

message 6: by Pete (new)

Pete Sortwell (pete_sortwell) | 20 comments Oooooh hello :)

message 7: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Hello mate!

message 8: by Lorraine (last edited Oct 18, 2012 11:33AM) (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Stuart wrote: "Yep - managed to tear myself away from The Hairy Bikers Mum Knows Best programme!"

I guess they can pass for mums if they shave the beard...

Hi Pete and welcome !

message 9: by Pete (new)

Pete Sortwell (pete_sortwell) | 20 comments Evening, Just saw this and thought I'd pop over. I read this blokes poetry the other night. Deeeep stuff. I loved it. This morning I got my normal stalkerish email from amazon filled with his books.

message 10: by Pete (new)

Pete Sortwell (pete_sortwell) | 20 comments Alright, Stu.

message 11: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Right, Pete's new, and in case anyone else is new: please try and avoid spoilers, or use the spoiler html cold if you do need to spoil. Also, don't forget to refresh like mad so you get to see the new posts, and don't forget to turn to the next page every 50 posts :)

message 12: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Yeah I'm good mate. Cheers for reading the poems!

message 13: by Pete (new)

Pete Sortwell (pete_sortwell) | 20 comments I can't watch them too, It makes me think of finding chest hair in my food and I get that feeling in my teeth like I've just chewed cotton wool.

message 14: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Maybe we'll wait a couple more minutes for those who are finishing their pudding :)

What's Ian up to, Stu, not seen him around lately... but then I've not been around much :/

message 15: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments I'm here! Lurking, but here (:

message 16: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Not seen him either! We only seem to meet up a couple of times a year - I know he's working on the sequal to Abide With Me though so I guess that keeps him busy!

message 17: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Hi Katy !

message 18: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Hi Katy!

message 19: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Ian's wife is called Katy - that's weird!

message 20: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments Stuart wrote: "Ian's wife is called Katy - that's weird!"

I can promise i'm not Ian's wife! (:

message 21: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments you lucky thing! ; )

message 22: by Pete (new)

Pete Sortwell (pete_sortwell) | 20 comments No worries mate, I need to get round to finishing the others. Poems are nice quick reads for me, even they take ages too, but at least I get to the end of them. Maybe instead of an audio book you coud ring me up and read TTF down the phone to me at 1am for an hour every night? :)

message 23: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments hey all - my internet is dodgy so i am in and out - but for now - i'm here :)

message 24: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments 1am? - I can't even understand myself at 1am!

message 25: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments would so love to stay & participate, especially after reading Stuart's blogpost, but sadly am going out to meet another GR author for a drink. Have a good one folks

message 26: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Hi Kath! Glad you could make it!!!

message 27: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments No Worries Marc! Have fun!!

message 28: by Pete (new)

Pete Sortwell (pete_sortwell) | 20 comments 12.55?

message 29: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Welcome Kath, thanks for popping in Marc, have a nice evening !

Right, I think I'm going to start the questions... The first one is going to be rather general, but I need to know because I'm trying to understand...

How did you write The Bird that Nobody Sees. I mean did you have the story all sorted before writing or did you just let it happen. I believe you're one of the writers that write it as you go along, but if I'm not wrong, how much of the story did you have when you started writing it?

message 30: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Ah - the first question!

Nope

message 31: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Maybe everybody's in the skype chat at the mo

message 32: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments Which is your favourite piece of work?(: What do you usually recommend to people to start with?

message 33: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Lorraine - now that's a tricky one! The original idea was to have alternate chapters - a man intent on murder who despised his life and a man who loved his life. As the book went on, the first man would gradually come to love his life and the other despise it to the point where the latter murdered the former. When I began to write it though I realised it had to be about a midget and his mates. Much of the novel is based on fact. The four main characters (other than Rod and his wife) are based very closely on my four best mates and many of the things that happen in the novel happened in real life. It is very much a tribute to good people!

message 34: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Pete / Everybody, you're all welcome to ask questions, just fire them away :)

message 35: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Katy - my favourite is The Bird That Nobody Sees basically because it contains more humour than Tollesbury Time Forever - although I do love Tollesbury Time and tend to recommend that purely because it is the first in the trilogy.

message 36: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Sorry I'm late!

message 37: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Forgiven! ; )

message 38: by Pete (new)

Pete Sortwell (pete_sortwell) | 20 comments Ok, I'll ask.

What was your expectation for the first years sales of all your books? You started this year, right?

message 39: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Stu, please, can you hit the "reply" button when replying, it's just that it'll be easier for me to keep track of what you've replied to in case a question slips through the net :)

So is that all you had when you started writing? The midget and his mates and the whole loving/despising life and murder?

message 40: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Pete - Tollesbury Time Forever came out on January 4th 2012 and my hope was to sell 100 - ever! I also hoped to give up drinking and gambling so 1 out of 3 is not at all bad!

message 41: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Stuart I find the concept of 'Frugality' intriguing!
Did this develop as you wrote TTF or beforehand?

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9112 comments I'm here too! Hi Stu, hi Lorraine!

message 43: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments What made you decide to write and publish your first book? (:

message 44: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Stu, please, can you hit the "reply" button when replying, it's just that it'll be easier for me to keep track of what you've replied to in case a question slips through the net :)

So is that all ..."

Will do Lorraine! Yes. I wanted it to be about friendship and hope. I had the final scene in my head from the beginning (around the tree, police, Jerusalem etc) and also the idea about the washing machine with no door so it was just a case of filling in the gaps!

message 45: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Can you summarise the concept of Frugality? I'm still having trouble grasping the meaning of it. But then I've been lazy and not even looked it up in the dictionary ! :P

message 46: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Thanks Stu for the reply thing :)
Hi Rosemary and everybody else who's just arrived :)

message 47: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Philip (sarah) wrote: "Stuart I find the concept of 'Frugality' intriguing!
Did this develop as you wrote TTF or beforehand?"

Hi Sarah! It very much developed as I wrote the book. The original concept was to have a man drowning himself in the marshes and entering some kind of Lilliputian land where he would learn the basics of existence. I told my wife of the idea and she said it was rubbish so I ended up writing Tollesbury Time Forever! I really can't recall where the FRUGALITY stuff came from. I have to confess that I was going through a difficult drinking stage throughout the writing of the book - bearing in mind I had no idea anyone would ever read it.

message 48: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments I'm firing Mago's questions as well (gently, don't worry!) as he's got half a dozen, and time is of the essence :)

First one: Do you believe in Angels?

message 49: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Katy wrote: "What made you decide to write and publish your first book? (:"

My first book was A Cleansing of Souls. I started writing it when I was 22 and unemployed. It was very much a means of self-preservation. I was in a difficult relationship and had distanced myself from my family. I guess it was a way of trying to work out how I had gone from fun-loving teenager to a miserable young man!

message 50: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "I'm firing Mago's questions as well (gently, don't worry!) as he's got half a dozen, and time is of the essence :)

First one: Do you believe in Angels?"

I firmly believe that we are all heaven and therefore we are all angels. Absolutely.

« previous 1 3 4