Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Finding Gaia
This topic is about Finding Gaia
Book Discussion & Recommendation > Book Rec: Finding Gaia

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madison E. (last edited Sep 24, 2012 08:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments I actually found this book courtesy of the Google+ circle I've put together thanks to all of you Vaginal Fantasy-ers! Kimberly Chapman is part of the Google+ circle and she has some very interesting posts including lots of stuff about her book. I bought it on kindle when I saw her share that it had been added to the kindle store. I have to say, it was well worth my $4.99. Anyhow, I think this would be book that other Vaginal Fantasy-ers would enjoy.

Book website: http://findinggaia.com/book/

Book GR website: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

My GR Review:

"SHORT REVIEW:
I would definitely consider this a love story, but with some unique elements. There is some very strong sci-fi/fantasy elements of the story. The main characters are not "average" humans. Both Anna and Jason have superhuman healing abilities, appear not to age, and each have a special ability of their own. As the novel progresses, these superhuman abilities lead them into some adventures. Overall, I enjoyed the writing style, character development, and pace of the book. I would definitely encourage anyone looking for a non-"traditional" love story to read this novel!

EXPANDED REVIEW:
I would have to say my favorite aspect of this novel is that even though it's undeniably fiction (with the superhuman powers and such), I felt that the story was very believable. I mean this as in not only is their love story realistic but also the events that they encounter (and how they respond) are as well. As you read, you realize that both Anna and Jason have traumatic pasts and are ultimately tormented individuals, but they are finding ways to live with these pasts. To me this screams of typical human response except, of course, they have potentially forever to cope. In addition, they are put in some highly stressful situations and respond in a very survival-driven way as any person would.

Even their budding relationship is fairly realistic. Jason is a bit of an idealized "nice guy" in that he is extremely patient, caring, and his only concern is making Anna comfortable. I know some people might not find this believable, but having been with a nice guy for years I felt that their romantic progression mimicked my own. I would say that Jason is an extreme idealized version of a nice guy, but I feel that is acceptable considering the circumstances of the book. Anna and Jason's relationship develops in steps throughout the book, which is a great break from the typical fall-into-lust found in most romances. Some may argue that this made the book move at a slow pace, but I think the pace was balanced just right for you to appreciate the logical romantic progression and still keep the book interesting.

Beyond the love story, this novel explores the reaction of society to the existence of superhuman individuals. There is a variety of believable reactions encountered; from the need-to-experiment, to the the-must-be-gods, to the how-can-we-use-them mindsets. This is actually the most interesting aspect of the book. However, going into this further would result in a very spoiler-y review.

Lastly, I will say that the support characters in this book are wonderful. Trish and Don are a great addition to the Truitt clan. In addition to Trish's spunky personality, Trish and Don as a couple provide a nice contemporary comparison to Jason and Anna. The four of them as a family just fit so well together.

As I've already stated, I definitely encourage anyone looking for a non-"traditional" love story to read this novel!"

message 2: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Thanks for posting this! I came home and told the boyo about this book and was horrified to discover I'd completely forgotten the title on the drive home. Absolutely going on my "to read" list.

Rachel | 38 comments Andrea wrote: "Thanks for posting this! I came home and told the boyo about this book and was horrified to discover I'd completely forgotten the title on the drive home. Absolutely going on my "to read" list."

I forgot too and I found the idea interesting. I just remembered that you'd mentioned it and was starting to look for it when I came across this thread so I can go read it once I've finished The End of the Affair in the next two hours. I'll write up a nice review when I've finished as well.

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments I hope you both enjoy it as I did!

For those that think they are missing some background info from the last two posts. Andrea, Rachel, and I live nearish to each other so we meet up for our local hangout-in-real-life once a month. We just had lunch this past Sunday and I mentioned this book.

Vicky (librovert) | 493 comments Mod
I finally got around to reading this and just wanted to bump this thread and recommend it to others in the group!

There's nothing cookie cutter about the characters in Finding Gaia - no alpha male, no ridiculously starry-eyed heroine - so it's a refreshing change of pace from some of the formulaic romance that's out there.

If you want to try it first - you can download The Power of a Blush for free which contains a extended smutty scene and the first two chapters of the book.

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments Thanks Vicky!

For anyone who is interested in reading this, there's a Valentine's Day coupon for $2 off! Check out Kimberly Chapman's post on G+ for more info!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/108316670...

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments Thanks Vicky! I didn't think to share on GR, just G+. You are handling life, wedding planning, and social media much better than I am! haha

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments Also, for everyone else. I HIGHLY suggest this read!

Madison wrote: "Thanks Vicky! I didn't think to share on GR, just G+. You are handling life, wedding planning, and social media much better than I am! haha"

Somedays I handle it all better than others! ;) haha

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments I feel you. lol

message 12: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly Chapman | 83 comments You ladies are awesome. Thank you so much!