Writer Group discussion

Plotline and Theme Debates > Your Plots, Characters, and Ideas

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
This thread is for the discussion of your plots for stories, the characters in those stories, and anything else pertaining to your writing. If you need to ask for advice in your writing or you just want to discuss the themes in your writing post here.

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) One thing I must say is that when I write I often have an idea and I build my story around that idea. Like for instance the idea of what would happen if you reflection replaced you in living your life or the thought about what would happen if you were turned to stone. Little ideas like that can help to write because you see that little idea and go: okay so what does work around that, how do I write that into a logical world set in a story?

message 3: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
I think that is a very good way to start a story because then it will end up deeper and more philisophical.

message 4: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 31 comments My idea (idea, random thought, what's the difference)

The whole universe was designed by a superior being. Like an author creating a fantasy world, but in infinite detail. Occasionally this being makes mistakes, like glitches in computor softwhere. These glitches are the millions of random, unexplained things that happen in the world. They are fortune tellers and premonitions and spontaneous compustion and teleportation. They are magic.

message 5: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
Taliah wrote: "My idea (idea, random thought, what's the difference)

The whole universe was designed by a superior being. Like an author creating a fantasy world, but in infinite detail. Occasionally this being ..."

Is this your idea for a story or your idea of how the world works.

message 6: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 31 comments Sort of a story... I was thinking about a group of people who are filled with glitches, like a glitch club, a secret glitch society... maybe a group of people who investigate glitches, study them. I figure it would be interesting to write.

And yet it's sort of a theory too. I don't think I believe in magic, but every so often I just think "that's not right" and I think about the universe making a mistake. But yeah, just a random thought.

message 7: by Horace (last edited Sep 28, 2012 04:17AM) (new)

Horace Ponii (horacetponii) I wrote Horses and Farms For Fantasy Writers & recently got some feedback that made me look it back over. I was told I should concentrate more in the beginning on what fantasy authors get wrong. While I mentioned a few gaffs, I thought that would be too negative nor did I think any kind of list would be particularly readable or memorable.

If anyone would be interested in looking over it, I'd appreciate the feedback. PM me & I'll email you a copy of the latest version.

There is a full copy up on Smashwords for $0.99 or here on GR to read for free, but I did revamp the beginning some. I shouldn't have put it up so soon, but I'm not a real author - just a reader of fantasy that got tired of horses that whinny when their reins are jerked or put up with bows stuck under their girths. Stuff no real horse would do & that really hurts some otherwise fine tales for my family & I.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

What about a story where a group of teens are sent to a school for either academically challenged kids (bad students) or maybe a type of reform school?

message 9: by Charity (last edited Sep 28, 2012 12:57PM) (new)

Charity (charryk) | 5 comments I find inspiration in everything around me...from something as simple as a color or as extensive as a lecture for one of my classes. I often start writing a story based on one small thought that occurred to me.

I never have just one idea that I want to work on, which can be frustrating when I'm trying to finish a book! It takes a lot of discipline to not get carried away with every little idea that flits into my mind!

message 10: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Charity wrote: "I never have just one idea that I want to work on, which can be frustrating when I'm trying to finish a book! It takes a lot of discipline to not get carried away with every little idea that flits into my mind!"

That happens to me all the time too.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "What about a story where a group of teens are sent to a school for either academically challenged kids (bad students) or maybe a type of reform school?"

Well this has been done before, but it can be done again. Just make it fresh. have a twist to it.

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace (fictionaladventures) Alright guys, I really need your help. I'm planning my 5th book and I really want to find a title. Here's a little embarrassingly terrible overview in case it sparks any ideas in those awesome heads of yours:

Jenna is the MC and she's kind of sarcastic and funny (think Julia in Meant to Be). She is in love with her best friend Paul and thinks there might actually be a chance for something to happen between them but at some point they kiss and he realizes it was a mistake and makes it clear nothing is going to happen between them. Their friendship kind of dribbles off after that and Jenna becomes friends with this guy named Charlie and eventually they fall in love. Ooh, also she's a really hardworking student but her suppressed dream is to go to Alaska. Charlie helps her realize that dream and she finally follows it. Basically the theme will be Follow your gut and the right person will follow it with you. It's supposed to be a YA Romantic Comedy thing and she's clumsy and likes big words.

So basically I need a title. I'm thinking it might have a funny word in it, like "canoodle" or "cantankerous" or "epitome." Maybe something like "The Epitome of ____"? I was thinking maybe "The Epitome of Everything" but I would really love any other suggestion. If it's cute or funny or quirky that would be perfect. If anyone can give me any suggestions at all, I will seriously love you forever.

Thank you so much to whoever tries to help! It's much appreciated!