paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

everything e-book > what e-reader do you have

Comments (showing 1-50 of 101) (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 3488 comments Mod
I read on my kindle 3g with the keyboard. I also have a ipad2 that has a few books but I mostly use the kindle. I am thinking about getting a kindle fire for children's books and cookbooks with pictures since my almost 3 year old is a little bookworm.

message 2: by Char (new)

Char | 241 comments I also have a KK3G.

message 3: by Matt (last edited Sep 23, 2012 03:46PM) (new)

Matt (Nemesis0) | 399 comments I have an older Sony Reader PRS-505 that i got about 4 years ago when it was really just Sony and Kindle. I still use that at work because it fits perfectly in my lunchbox and i have tons of books on it. It also still works pretty good even after all the use i've put it too. Only thing is the battery doesn't last as long after all this time.

Recently I got a Kindle Fire back in March and i have plenty of books for it too and read stuff on it occasionally. I mostly just play games on it though and mess around on some apps.

I also have used the Kindle app on my phone to read a book or two and just used the phone to read a couple PDF files.

message 4: by Justin (last edited Sep 23, 2012 04:52PM) (new)

I forgot I have the kindle app on my phone also, don't use it much though.

message 5: by Justin (new)

I want to check out those kindle paper white displays just to see what they look like. I dont think I would like a touch screen reader because of fingerprints, haven't really used the Ipad enough to tell though.

message 6: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments I have a nook tablet and love it to pieces. I dont even use my phone as often.

message 7: by Cate (new)

Cate | 107 comments I have the cheapest kindle..idk what it's called

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt (Nemesis0) | 399 comments Sony PRS-505 is awesome. Mine still works great after 4 years of fairly heavy use.

message 9: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments How do u write a review for a book on kindle app?

message 10: by Justin (new)

I write reviews on goodreads you can also go to Amazon.com and write one. Since you can't write a review directly from the kindle you probably can't write it in the app either.

message 11: by Cate (new)

Cate | 107 comments I got my kindle paper white yesterday and I already love it!

message 12: by Char (new)

Char | 241 comments You can write a review on a Fire and the Kindle will import it for you. Right at the end of each book there is a place to rate the book star-wise and to write a review if you like. It also has the capability to import the review to Facebook or other social media outlets.
(I recently got a Fire and I love it!)

message 13: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 19 comments I love my PaperWhite as well -- no more trying to adjust a lamp so I have a bright light on the Kindle. Just whip the PW out, in the dark, and turn it on and read.

message 14: by Cate (new)

Cate | 107 comments Yeah, it seems silly but reading in the dark was such a burden with my old kindle. Book lights never stayed on and I had to keep adjusting them to light up the whole page.

message 15: by Justin (new)

I have the leather cover with the light and its perfect.

message 16: by Cate (new)

Cate | 107 comments I thought about getting one of those, but the allure of the kindle with a backlight proved to be too much for me haha

message 17: by Justin (new)

I am looking at buying a kobo because you can put an sd card in it for more storage. Anyone hear anything about them? Do any of the other ereaders anyone has except sd cards?

message 18: by Justin (new)

Matt wrote: "Sony PRS-505 is awesome. Mine still works great after 4 years of fairly heavy use."

I just looked these up and see that you can add an sd card to them as well, how is the battery life? I may just buy one to replace my kindle.

message 19: by Matt (new)

Matt (Nemesis0) | 399 comments Well the one i have they don't sell anymore (was discontinued a few months after i got one), but it worked great. I've had it since early 2009 and used it quite frequently up till this last year when i started reading on my Kindle Fire. The last while the battery hasn't been as good. When i first got it it would last a couple weeks with all the reading i do, but now it usually will last most of a week tho the could may have something to do with the lower battery life.

The one i have can use an SD card and another type of memory card that i think is made by sony.

The PRS-505 only really uses epub files well, but i don't know about the newer ones from Sony. I'm sure they have upgraded them a bit since i got this one.

message 20: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments If most of your books are already locked in Amazon's ecosystem I'd stick with Kindle. You would have to strip the DRM from all your Kindle books to access them on another brand reader. Plus Amazon generally has the best prices and by far the best selection not to mention the constant bombardment of freebies. That's just my two cents anyway.

If you do have to replace the one you have now, I'll throw in some praise for the Paperwhite. It makes the Kindle Touch I got last year look like a 1998 Palm Pilot. I wouldn't trade it for any other e-ink reader out there today.

message 21: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Charlene wrote: "You can write a review on a Fire and the Kindle will import it for you. Right at the end of each book there is a place to rate the book star-wise and to write a review if you like. It also has the ..."

How do you like reading on that backlit LCD screen? I hear it's an impressive display improvement over last year's model but I think I still prefer front-lit e-ink for long reading sessions. I haven't seen the new HD screen on the new Fire though so I don't know.

message 22: by Matt (new)

Matt (Nemesis0) | 399 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "If most of your books are already locked in Amazon's ecosystem I'd stick with Kindle. You would have to strip the DRM from all your Kindle books to access them on another brand reader. Plus Amazon ..."

Yea i was thinking the same about Amazon Kindle stuff. One of the things that bugged me about the Sony book store was they had stuff that was way over priced compared to Kindle books or even the print versions (i remember a couple books they wanted $10 and up for books that were available as $7.99 paperbacks). I liked my Sony Reader, but it cost more for ebooks a lot of the time from their store compared to any of the other ebook stores.

message 23: by Justin (new)

I have quite a bit that is not from amazon. I love the kindle and would like a paper white but being able to have a 32gig sd card rather than a 4 gig non expandable kindle is a big deal. I would like to find something that supports mobi so I don't have to convert anything and then just keep my amazon purchases on the kindle and everything else on the new one. So I don't overload it and have problems again.

message 24: by Char (new)

Char | 241 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Charlene wrote: "You can write a review on a Fire and the Kindle will import it for you. Right at the end of each book there is a place to rate the book star-wise and to write a review if you like...."

I thought I would have problems with the backlighting, but I haven't. I also thought I would still prefer to read on my e-ink Kindle, but I'm finding it's more of a pain switching back and forth. Especially if I want to check my email or come here.
I will say that the HD screen is incredibly great. I have watched a few movies on it, one of them being HUGO, and the clarity and brightness of the colors was very impressive.

message 25: by Char (new)

Char | 241 comments I've been getting a lot of e-books through the points program at my work. Most of them are epubs. I've downloaded the Overdrive app for both my puter and my Fire and use it for reading those and it works very well.

message 26: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments I'm not sure what other readers support mobi but Amazon's DRM will only work on Kindle. I believe the same goes for the DRM Barnes and Noble uses for their ePub. The 5 gigs of cloud storage on top of the device memory and my PC hard drive if it comes to that is more than enough for me but it can't hurt to shop around and weigh all the options. Let me know what you find out.

message 27: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Charlene wrote: "I've been getting a lot of e-books through the points program at my work. Most of them are epubs. I've downloaded the Overdrive app for both my puter and my Fire and use it for reading those and it..."

My aunt just got one of those, mostly for reading, and she says she isn't bothered by the screen glare or brightness or anything. Her only complaint was the battery life. Hopefully my PaperWhite lasts a while but I'll definitely be looking into the Fire sometime down the road.

message 28: by Matt (last edited Mar 21, 2013 11:47AM) (new)

Matt (Nemesis0) | 399 comments Justin wrote: "I have quite a bit that is not from amazon. I love the kindle and would like a paper white but being able to have a 32gig sd card rather than a 4 gig non expandable kindle is a big deal. I would li..."

Before you buy anything make sure it can handle that amount of storage. I know the PRS-505 only could handle so much and i don't think it would work with a 32gb SD card. The newer ones might so just be sure to check out the specs before you buy one that uses SD cards.

message 29: by Char (new)

Char | 241 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I've been getting a lot of e-books through the points program at my work. Most of them are epubs. I've downloaded the Overdrive app for both my puter and my Fire and use it for rea..."

I read a lot. With my KK3G I only needed to charge about once a week. With the Fire I charge it overnight, every night.

message 30: by Justin (new)

Matt wrote: "Justin wrote: "I have quite a bit that is not from amazon. I love the kindle and would like a paper white but being able to have a 32gig sd card rather than a 4 gig non expandable kindle is a big d..."

The kobo wireless can handle an sd up to 32gig but don't suport mobi the kobo touch screen suports mobi (looks like the only thing besides kindle that does) but I'm not sure about the memory card. I don't know if I would want a touch screen though. The paperwhite is only 2 gig. A kindle first gen suports an sd card and I can get one brand new for $45 with free shipping. I am going to look at that more and see if it will take any size sd card but I might just go with that if it does. What I need to do is buy a home computer and save everything to calibre and then not worry about the storage space, right now I am using my parents computer but I don't want to leave my books on it for to long. I usualy download anything that is not from amazon on their computer and put it right onto the kindle then delete it. Unfortunately I can't aford a computer right now.

message 31: by Justin (new)

Good news is my kindle keyboard is working great with only two books on it so it must of been a problem with being overloaded. I still want a backup but I can take my time shoping around.

message 32: by Char (new)

Char | 241 comments Oh excellent news! :)

message 33: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Nice! It's too bad you can't actually see the new Kindles without ordering them since no one retails them anymore. I got my PW Kindle for a surprise Xmas gift. I didn't ask for it or want it since I had last year's Touch and was happy with that but after I turned it on and started reading on it... I can't overstate the difference - It looks more like paper than paper does. The pics and videos on Amazon do not do it justice.

As far as smudges on the touch screen, I wipe it with my shirt about once a month and it's fine.

As far storage, can you upload them to a cloud account like www.box.com? Otherwise I would just burn them all to DVDs or a thumb drive. That stuff is dirt cheap right now. A 32 gig thumb drive is only around $20. The 500 books I have stored on my reader take up less than 1 gig.

Anyway, glad yours is back in action for now. If mine failed on me I would be on a suicide hotline until they could Fed-Ex a replacement.

message 34: by Char (new)

Char | 241 comments LOL, you wipe it with your shirt? : P

message 35: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Men's T-shirt = all purpose cleaner.

message 36: by Scott (new)

Scott Harris (ttownscott) | 452 comments I noticed my kindle keyboard was close to full so I backed off all non-amazon content to Calibre. The paperwhite sounds nice, but I like the extra memory, keyboard and text-to-speech. I think if I ever see that they're going to discontinue the 3G keyboard I'd order a backup.

message 37: by Justin (new)

well my kindle worked for a couple days after the reset and is now screwing up again. I think I will make do with it until my birthday and then maybe buy myself a paperwhite. I did purchase a thumb drive to back my books up onto.

message 38: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 19 comments Justin wrote: "well my kindle worked for a couple days after the reset and is now screwing up again."

Question -- do you leave WiFi on or turn it off?

I ask because my Mom "borrowed" my K3 about 18 months ago and I never got to use it again. She always left WiFi off and had no end of problems. She kept bringing it to me so I could fix it, about once every week or two. Several months ago, while fixing it, I set it down because I got distracted by something else. I noticed it "rebooted" several times while sitting there. I think it was installing a number of updates that had never been applied before.

Since then, I told her to leave the WiFi on, and she hasn't had a single problem.

message 39: by Justin (new)

I leave it.off so it dont kill the battery. it gets turned on a couple times a week though and gets the updates.

message 40: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 19 comments We thought it was getting the updates too, but apparently not. The behavior before and after is just too different to be a coincidence.

message 41: by Justin (last edited Mar 28, 2013 09:11PM) (new)

when I talked to amazons customer service person she made sure it was up to date before having me wipe it out and completly reboot everything.

message 42: by Justin (new)

so I noticed while backing up all my booksto a thumb drive that there is just over half a gig of books and the kindle is a 4 gig. so that shouldn't have been causing any problems.

message 43: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Probably not. See what options are available from customer service. They may be willing to replace it or give you a discount on a newer model. It can't hurt to ask.

message 44: by Justin (last edited Mar 31, 2013 08:21AM) (new)

yea I am waiting on a call from them, amazon customer service is awesome. one more reason to buy another kindle rather than any other e reader. I have made up my mind on a paper white, I love my keyboard but I can always steal my wife's so no need to buy another one of those.

message 45: by Justin (new)

mine is still usable it just has problems, when I get a new one this will just be used as a backup that I will probably leave in my locker for emergency.

message 46: by Robert (new)

Robert Krone | 157 comments Me and my wife recently got a Kindle Fire and I like it so far. I don't see myself reading more eBooks than physical books, but I will read them more now than I did on the computer or on my Android phone

message 47: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments U can have my kobo reader....just putting it out there. Its a good reader, just upgraded to the nook tablet which has a memory card, but im really enjoying the kindle fire. I love the text to speech option. So cool!

message 48: by Scott (new)

Scott Harris (ttownscott) | 452 comments I have a kindle keyboard and like the text to speech option as well. That's one thing that puts me off of the paperwhite.

message 49: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments can someone explain the xray function on kindle fire?

message 50: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments wow. just tried the immersion reading for cannibal corpse and its awesome. you have the book in front of you with a professional narration. it highlights as u go so u can read and hear at the same time. anyone else try this yet? I love it! wish u could do this with every book but it costs extra.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hag Night (other topics)