UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Kindle Tips/Tricks discussions > KK Firmware Update

Comments (showing 1-50 of 116) (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 01, 2013 02:20AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments It has been mentioned in another thread but I thought it deserved a place of its own (Thanks Lynn!).

Kindle Keyboard has surprisingly had a firmware update. Well done Amazon, I really assumed the KK was history as far as they were concerned :

•Improved Font: We've improved the reading font to have more contrast and be more crisp.
•Parental Controls: With the latest software update for Kindle Keyboard, parents can restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, the Kindle Store, and Archived Items. While the Kindle Store and Archived Items are locked with Parental Controls, you can continue to buy books from a computer and send them to the Kindle wirelessly for a child to read.
•Kindle Format 8: KF8 makes books look even better with support for author specified fonts and more book styling options.
•Comic Books: Kindle Keyboard now supports comic books with Kindle Panel View. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store. Books open in Kindle Panel View by default (a view that allows you to read a comic book panel by panel).
•Children's Picture Books: Kindle Keyboard supports children's picture books with Kindle Text Pop-Up. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store.
•Whispersync for Voice: Now you can switch back and forth between reading and listening without losing your place. Whispersync for Voice will synchronize what you read on any Kindle platform device with Audible playback on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, or on Audible apps for iPhone and Android.

If you just can't wait, here it is :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custome...

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments OK, I've done the upgrade. As usual it scares you a bit by pretending it has deleted all your books, but after a couple of minutes they all download. Just make sure your KK is charged before you start.

Every time I do an upgrade I 'think' I can see screen improvements and this time is no exception. The text does seem clearer.

I don't have any use for parental controls but it seems you can restrict access to the experimental web, archive and kindle store.

Lots of cartoon options and childrens book things which I will have a play with later.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Thanks Simon. I was planning on starting a new thread at some point.

I'm not going to push the update onto ours manually. I've charged up both KKs and have turned wifi on both of them.

We'll see how long it takes for the update to come through automatically.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments It will be interesting to get group feedback......

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Both still showing 3.3.

Pat (Scorpio) Both of mine 3.3

message 7: by Joo (new)

Joo (Jooo) | 1638 comments The main thing I've noticed is that my kk doesn't freeze when I highlight text. Fingers crossed it won't freeze ever again.

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Does it make a difference to getting the update if it's plugged in? I left mine plugged in to the charger most of last week...

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments I don't think so Tim. It all depends on the sequence they send them out in. I doubt if anyone will get it over 3g mind so you need wifi enabled.

It is a doddle to manually install though :-)

message 10: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments JAOPDSOPDPOAS

comic. books.

*dies*

message 11: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments also parental control a+ = i need to put that one when someone takes a look at my kindle. can't even count the number of times they have accidentally bought books.

message 12: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17934 comments If I let mine update will it delete the books on it that I didn't get from amazon?

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments No. Mine are still there.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments I think.

message 15: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17934 comments Not that it'll update anytime soon...

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments I'd check to see if ours have updated yet if I could be bothered to lift my tushie off the couch...

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5230 comments I did mine manually and then yesterday I got a message on the home page saying Your Kindle is Updated. OH waited till mine updated then we compared identical dictionary pages and we did convince ourselves that the print was slightly better, having tried mine as a guinea pig, he then did his. None Kindle books are still there.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (Snibborg) | 9019 comments Anyone tried a hacked one yet?

message 19: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17934 comments I'm still waiting for mine to update

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Lorraine has hacked hers...

Oh wait. Didn't Sophie do hers?

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Why would you hack it?

message 22: by Kath (last edited Sep 25, 2012 05:59AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 24000 comments To get pictures of your choice instead of the ghastly stuff the KK has for screensavers. I don't notice generally but occasionally we play Kindle Snap with ours.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Lorraine has put a load of our authors covers on hers. Very cool.

message 24: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17934 comments I'm still 3.3. That's been 24 hours more or less

message 25: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments I haven't had my wifi on enough to get it and I totally forgot how to push it on it.

message 26: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17934 comments My wifi has been on for 24 hours now

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Simon put the link to push it in the first post in this thread Peanut.

message 28: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments smart me. i can readz.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "Simon put the link to push it in the first post in this thread Peanut."

Lmfao!!!

message 30: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments WAIT! NO! I can actually read, I meant the link to push it over the wifi. There was one of those for an update a while back which you could click like a 'send to kindle' thing

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Oh. Did not know that...

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Both our ours still 3.3

message 33: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17934 comments I'm just downloading it. I'm thinking maybe it doesn't download on 3g and has to be through wi-fi

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments I've got our wifi turned on on them both.

message 35: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17934 comments So it's just slow

message 36: by Kath (last edited Sep 27, 2012 07:42AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 24000 comments Got mine on charge at the moment (attached to the back wheel of the bike, Simon). It's just told me it's updating the software!
It might make the group book look EVEN BETTER!

message 37: by HJ (last edited Sep 27, 2012 08:22AM) (new)

HJ Having read the first post, I went to Amazon and started the update process before reading the rest of the thread. But I went to Amazon UK to do the update - and noticed a difference from the link which Simon posted. And that is the omission of the following (which was, funnily enough, the reason I rushed to do the update):

"Whispersync for Voice: Now you can switch back and forth between reading and listening without losing your place. Whispersync for Voice will synchronize what you read on any Kindle platform device with Audible playback on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, or on Audible apps for iPhone and Android."

Remind me please why it is that the UK update doesn't include Whispersync while the US one does? (If that is in fact the case.) My Kindle is still updating so can't check it yet.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Hmmm

Can't see the updates being different by region...

message 39: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24000 comments Mine said software. Could do with it being firm at my age!

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Ignite has had her silly tablets. :)

message 41: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24000 comments I don't need tablets!

message 42: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments gonna leave mine on tonight and hopefully it'll come through

message 43: by HJ (new)

HJ Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "Hmmm

Can't see the updates being different by region..."

I've now had the update message on my Kindle and there's no mention of Whispersync. If anyone finds it, please let me know!!

Can't say I can see any difference in the font clarity, but maybe it's more evident in fancy formats rather than in a straightforward book.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Ignite wrote: "I don't need tablets!"

True.

Off to check our kindles again....

message 45: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24000 comments Check your email too me-dear.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Nuttin. :(

message 47: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments mine just decided to update!

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Jealous.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Ignite wrote: "Check your email too me-dear."

Cheers. Got it where it needs to be for the necessary. ;)

message 50: by Alsjem (new)

Alsjem | 18 comments Thanks for flagging this. I'm just updating now. Hoping it will solve my indexing problem. Also looking forward to seeing how comics look.

« previous 1 3