Immortals After Dark discussion

After reading the books > Who can match KC? Help me out here! :D

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saucyminx (new)

Saucyminx | 41 comments I'm looking for a new series to read. I finish one book every other day!

Which author would you say matches Kresley in world building and includes all kinds of Lore species (not just vampires or werewolves) ?
I'm specifically looking for a series in the PNR genre, I'm not too big on UF.

Authors I like & already follow:

Larissa Ione
Gena Showalter
Lara Adrian
Jeaniene Frost
MaryJanice Davidson
Karen Marie Moning
Sydney Croft
Shelly Laurenston
Kelley Armstrong
Anya Bast
Jennifer Turner
Bianca D'Arc
Nalini Singh

Authors I'm just not a big fan of or thought they were just ok:

Laura Wright
Christine Feehan
Kathryn Smith
Vivi Anna
Alexandra Ivy
Sherrilyn Kenyon
LKH
Patricia Briggs
Lynsay Sands
PC Cast
Katie MacAlister
Lilith Saintcrow
Michele Hauf
Meljean Brook
Christina Dodd
Ilona Andrews
JR Ward (yeah, sorry, not a fan anymore)
Chloe Neill (Love the world building but too UF, not enough R)

PLEASE HELP! I've run out of books to read!

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (shinhbang) | 28 comments KC is on her own, considering how amazing her books are! Somewhat hard to find someone who writes like her. But you can definitely try Rebecca Zanetti's Dark Protector series starting with the first installment Fated. I think her books are great and not given enough credit for. :)

message 3: by Saucyminx (new)

Saucyminx | 41 comments Ashley wrote: "KC is on her own, considering how amazing her books are! Somewhat hard to find someone who writes like her. But you can definitely try Rebecca Zanetti's Dark Protector series starting with the firs..."

Thank you!! Im going to check it out now!

message 4: by Kryptonite (last edited Sep 23, 2012 10:41AM) (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 88 comments I agree... it's hard to find a series as amazing as KC's. I tried Fated but ended up not going far into that book.

How about GA Aiken's Dragon Kin series?

There's also Alyssa Day & Deborah Cooke but I thought their series was okay.

And Cynthia Eden's Hotter After Midnight & Midnight Sins

It's not so much a PNR but I loved Elizabeth Vaughan's series- Warprize

message 5: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Cochenour | 5 comments i'm about half way through a book by Jacquelin Frank called Forbidden, and while no one can ever match KC's work i think this book is pretty good so far

Kerry (Bookcrastinators in Wonderland) (kerrybiw) | 2 comments Karen Marie Moning
Kim Harrison
Nalini Singh

message 7: by Kryptonite (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 88 comments I loved Warprize. Definitely try it out.
Same with Aiken's Dragon Kin series. It's full of humor.

I thought Lara Adrian's Breed series was good. No one near KC though.

Alyssa Day's Atlantis series- It's okay

Thea Harrison's Elder Race series. It took me a while to start liking it (like a few books) but I do think this is a good one.

KC's writing style is difficult to match. I don't think anyone out there compares.

Rachelle, Naughty Enabler (muze4u) | 15 comments I love Larissa Ione. Her Demonica & Lords of deliverance series are awesome.

message 9: by Rute (last edited Jul 03, 2014 05:00AM) (new)

Rute Mota | 18 comments Saucyminx wrote: "I'm looking for a new series to read. I finish one book every other day!

Which author would you say matches Kresley in world building and includes all kinds of Lore species (not just vampires or w..."

Try Nicky Charles. She has free books and they are quiet nice. At least you're not spending money if you don't like it. ;-)
See amazon and look on goodreads for info.

message 10: by Ela (new)

Ela | 11 comments Darynda Jones - Charley Davidson Series

Amelia Hutchins - The Fae Chronicles

Besides IAD these 2 are on my fave list.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 104 comments Mod
Ela wrote: "Darynda Jones - Charley Davidson Series

Amelia Hutchins - The Fae Chronicles

Besides IAD these 2 are on my fave list."

Excellent selections. I've read them both and loved them.

message 12: by MBerry (new)

MBerry (mberry249) | 1 comments I will recommend Setta Jay's Guardians of the Realms. Its very addicting just like KC (new couples on every book, mates, action, adventure and sexy times) I have not found anything similar to KC so this is the closest

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Davis | 1 comments MBerry wrote: "I will recommend Setta Jay's Guardians of the Realms. Its very addicting just like KC (new couples on every book, mates, action, adventure and sexy times) I have not found anything similar to KC so..."

MBerry wrote: "I will recommend Setta Jay's Guardians of the Realms. Its very addicting just like KC (new couples on every book, mates, action, adventure and sexy times) I have not found anything similar to KC so..."

Thank You!!

message 14: by Nicole (new)

MBerry wrote: "I will recommend Setta Jay's Guardians of the Realms. Its very addicting just like KC (new couples on every book, mates, action, adventure and sexy times) I have not found anything similar to KC so..."

Hmm. Sounds interesting. Definitely have to check this series out. Thanks, MBerry!

message 15: by Kimmy (new)

Kimmy | 1 comments Have you tried Kim Harrison's "The Hollows" series?? I didn't notice it mentioned and I loved it. I also have a hard time finding any author that can compete with KC!

message 16: by Ethar (new)

Ethar (silvertulip21) | 9 comments I would recommend Suzanne Wright books, very addicting, I started reading and didn't stop till I finish all the series and waiting for any book of her's to come out. Her books are funny, sexy, interesting and have a wicked sense of humor. Not KC, but a very good read.

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Bolton | 15 comments As far as who is like Kresley Cole, Karen Marie Moning Highlander Series and Donna Grant are close "I am going to check out Guardians of the Realms! and the other recommendations! I started the Sherrilynn Kenyon Dark Hunter series, its just ok, to me its a IAD wanna be-"I wish I never started it

Saucyminx wrote: "I'm looking for a new series to read. I finish one book every other day!

Which author would you say matches Kresley in world building and includes all kinds of Lore species (not just vampires or w..."

Saucyminx wrote: "I'm looking for a new series to read. I finish one book every other day!

message 18: by Kira (last edited Jul 06, 2016 07:49AM) (new)

Kira | 11 comments Definitely try Darynda Jones Charley Davidson Series and
Amelia Hutchins' Fae Chronicles(this one is a gem. )

Also, I think Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series is really good too, though the romance is slow to build I think about at least 3 books first until they get to it but story wise, it's really really good.

Also Try Anne Bishop's The Other Series very authentic pnr for me and Stephanie Faegan's Mephisto Covenant!

Other recommendations:
Jennifer Lyon's Wing Slayer Hunters Series

Sharon Kay's Solsti Prophecy

message 19: by Eunice (new)

Eunice Lopez | 22 comments Idk if they mentioned this Author or series but Nalini Singh Psy/Changeling series is awesome, the author is really great at world building. It's my second favorite series, IAD being the first.

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Eunice wrote: "Idk if they mentioned this Author or series but Nalini Singh Psy/Changeling series is awesome, the author is really great at world building. It's my second favorite series, IAD being the first."

Thanks for the rec, Eunice!

message 21: by Ki4ki_b (new)

Ki4ki_b | 7 comments I fell in love with Debra Dunbar Imp series (starts kind of slow --warning.. but shes an imp as she grows and the series matures so does the character... but again shes and imp and she gets up to a lot of :D impish things)..
but some of your just ok series are some of my favorites IE Alexandra Ivy Guardians of Eternity which I admit did start off a lil weak, but by book 3 it just got better and better.

Setta Jay Guardians of the Realms is good sometimes its a little overly sexual and tends to always go toward anal... ALWAYS!!! story and plot is still pretty good and I looooooooooooovve Hades.
I love humor so I am a fan of Gerry Bartlett Glory St. Clair although sometimes I want to reach through the book and bitch slap the heroin.
G. A. Aiken who is Shelly Laurenston - LOVE all books she pens. fu-larious..
Robyn Peterman Hot Damned series = funnnyyyE
Gena Showalter LOTUW of course and the Angels.. they were ok
Maryjanice Davidson of course
Brenda Trim & Tami Julka - Dark Warrior Alliance - Lil bit of humor lots of fighting
Larissa Ione - Demonica/Lords of deliverance (I liked the LOD better sue me)
BDB JR Ward - I liked them. They weren't KC but they were entertaining although I usually like more humor in my reads.

When it comes down to it no one is KC the painting of the world, the language the lore the humor.... There are so many things and characters with their own stories happening simultaneously and all of this is building up to what should be a kick ass end game.. others have pieces of this excellent formula but I haven't found anything as good - at least to me.

message 22: by Angelika (new)

Angelika | 62 comments I too looked for reads similar to IAD after I'd devoured them all and needed more. I've resigned myself long time ago. There is no one who can write better fantasy/romance than KC.
J. R. Ward is another favourite of the genre but she's too dramatic, she takes herself too seriously so her books are not as lighthearted and funny as KC's. I always re-read Demon from the Dark or Lothaire to clean my palate after another attempeted supernatural romance.
Bottom line, nobody does it better than Kresley Cole. We are at her mercy.

JAC, Loner, Loser and Complicated Mess (jaclonerloserandcomplicatedmess) | 4 comments Angelika the only authors that come close to KC for me are Gena Showalter and Nalini Singh. They both write excellent paranormal with a bit of humour, Gena more than Nalini. I'm a big fan of both of them. Also Maryjanice Davidsons Undead series is hard core funny. I re-read her books constantly.

JAC, Loner, Loser and Complicated Mess (jaclonerloserandcomplicatedmess) | 4 comments G.A. Aikens Dragon series is awesome too. Really funny

message 25: by Angelika (new)

Angelika | 62 comments JAC wrote: "Angelika the only authors that come close to KC for me are Gena Showalter and Nalini Singh. They both write excellent paranormal with a bit of humour, Gena more than Nalini. I'm a big fan of both o..."

I'm currently reading the Psy/Changeling series by Nalini. I'm not crazy about it but I go on with it. I've never rated one of the books with more than 3 stars. They are good but not great. Whenever something else that sounds good come out I don't have a problem dropping it and picking it up after I've finished whatever other book has caught my eye. I tried Gena but didn't like her one bit. I tried Larissa Ione and quit her soon. I'll give Davidsons a try. Thanx.

message 26: by Ki4ki_b (last edited Sep 11, 2016 07:03PM) (new)

Ki4ki_b | 7 comments Gena Showalter not all of her series are my cup of tea.. but the lords of the underworld is really really good although it starts slow. If you like humor, like me, try g.a. aiken/Shelly Laurenston but they are reallt more towards the funny.

message 27: by Valentina (new)

Valentina (valentinazc40) | 3 comments you must check out Sherrilyn Kenyon's series, They are great!! my favorite is the league; the story revolves around a tortured hero, it is set in space, and there's loads of romance. I am currently reading the dark hunter series, and I dont know how Sk does it I LOVE all of her books! This series has daimons, vampires, werewolfs and other creatures not to mention hot hot characters, action and romance!

message 28: by Gim (new)

Gim | 38 comments I would recommend trying Victoria Danann's Black Swan series. It is a completely different take on vampires, but also has some funny moments, and a few spin-off series. Each book builds on the last, and you get to know all the characters. I hope you enjoy it.

message 29: by Jayna (new)

Jayna (JosephineDarklightMorior) | 10 comments I am Reading JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood now. And yes, it's too serious and too much inside character's heads, not enough action or development of the villains. I am on book 3 now, almost done with it. I like some of the characters and while her world is building, it just cannot touch IAD.

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen Bolton | 15 comments the closest I have found to KC is Donna Grant, I am forever ruined by Kresley Cole-

MsAjay (Ms. Undercover Geek) | 28 comments This post is a super old but we are always looking for a new series. If you are, Rebecca Zanetti Dark Protectors Series is excellent!

message 32: by Gim (new)

Gim | 38 comments I forgot about this thread but if you enjoy something with humour, then I suggest Molly Harper's Nice Girl/Half-Moon Hollow series as well as the Naked Werewolf series. They are some of the funniest books I've ever read