Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2012-10 - Pulitzer Prize - What Will You Read In October?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. Travis (new)

J. Travis Moger | 50 comments The shelf for October is Pulitzer Prize: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/p...

There are some great Pulitzer Prize-winning books on this shelf. I hope everyone finds something they like. What will you read in October?

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4655 comments Mod
I am surprised that some of the books I have read were Pulitzer's...especially one I am reading now. I was unaware that they had that designation when I chose them but am pleased that they did. I also found that a book I am waiting for from the library is on the list - Interpreter of Maladies. I should get it in time to read for next month....I hope.

message 3: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Sep 22, 2012 03:25PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
Bea - I am amazed how FEW Pulitzer's I have read, and how low I have scored them, lol. As well as how few I actually have on my list of books to be read. I will have to see what I want to read for next month. So far, nothing jumps out at me. There are a few that I have always wanted to read and am surprised not to see on the list. :(

Here are a couple that I came up with for my list. I will try to get through at least the first one:

Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Blindness by José Saramago

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4655 comments Mod
Lyn, I have read The Book Thief and am reading The Poisonwood Bible. Two very different books but I enjoyed them both for different reasons.

The Poisonwood Bible will get 5* from me when I finish it. I am moved by it and taught by it and find it changing my thinking in a way that other books have not. I would give it more stars if possible.

The Book Thief was an entertaining story that I found hard to put down, but it did not impact me as a person like The Poisonwood Bible is.

I have wanted to read Caleb's Crossing but I have so many books on hold or interlibrary loan listing right now that I will be doing good to get any of them before the end of October!

Oh, I know what you mean, Bea. Same here. I am thinking of starting with Caleb's Crossing, but if I get any farther than that on my list above....it will be a small miracle. :)

message 6: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1642 comments I'm planning to read books I have in my piles at home:
Tinkers by Paul Harding
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

LynnB wrote: "I'm planning to read books I have in my piles at home:
Tinkers by Paul Harding
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry"

I read Lonesome Dove years ago and really enjoyed it, Lynn.

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4655 comments Mod
LynnB, I also enjoyed Lonesome Dove. Although it is a BIG book, it reads easily, and I never lost interest.

Let me know how you like The Things They Carried . It is on my TBR pile.

message 9: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1642 comments Bea wrote: "LynnB, I also enjoyed Lonesome Dove. Although it is a BIG book, it reads easily, and I never lost interest. Let me know how you like The Things They Carried . It is on my TBR pile."

I've read two of McMurtry's other books and enjoyed them. I was hoping Lonesome Dove would be good but because of the size I've put off reading it. Glad to hear you liked it.

LynnB wrote: "Bea wrote: "LynnB, I also enjoyed Lonesome Dove. Although it is a BIG book, it reads easily, and I never lost interest. Let me know how you like The Things They Carried . It is on my TBR pile."

I..."

Which other McMurtry books would you suggest, Lynn?

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments its a really long book, but the biography of Washington that won the Pulitzer a few years ago is a very good read - Washington: A Life

message 13: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8672 comments Mod
Thanks for setting up this thread, J. Travis.

I do have Tales of the South Pacific on my shelf so I may look into that but...

Caleb's Crossing is our next f2f bookclub read which will meet in Nov! Hhhmmm... we'll see...

Tien wrote: "Thanks for setting up this thread, J. Travis.

I do have Tales of the South Pacific on my shelf so I may look into that but...

Caleb's Crossing is our next f2f bookclub read which will meet in Nov..."

I have heard so many great things about Caleb's Crossing. It is supposed to be really great.

message 15: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1642 comments Lyn M wrote: "Which other McMurtry books would you suggest, Lynn? "

I liked Anything for Billy and thought Sin Killer was good (but not a "best"). I've had The Last Picture Show on my list, but haven't gotten to it - it's been well-reviewed, and of course a movie was made of it.

LynnB wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Which other McMurtry books would you suggest, Lynn? "

I liked Anything for Billy and thought Sin Killer was good (but not a "best"). I've had The Last Picture Show on my list, but h..."

Thanks. I will keep those in mind.

message 17: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1606 comments I will make another attempt to read A Thousand Acres.
I am also looking at
The Bridge of San Luis Rey
The Bell Jar
Never Let Me Go
and if I'm feeling really ambitious Gravity's Rainbow

message 18: by Tara (last edited Sep 24, 2012 09:27PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I have to say that I have not had much luck with books that have won the Pulitzer prize... Maybe I will have better luck with the books on the shelf.
Since I own Swamplandia!, I will definitely try to get to that one.
Depending on time I may also try...
Cold Mountain
Evidence of Things Unseen
Caleb's Crossing

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3449 comments Mod
I'll start with Laughing Boy. Not sure what else. Like Tara, I haven't had much luck with them in the past, either.

Susan and Tara - I agree, neither have I, this should be an interesting month for me.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott among a few books i need to read for work I'm going to try and squeeze in Grundish and Askew and The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity

message 22: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1642 comments I've started Lonesome Dove and reading other (non-Pulitzer) books, too. It's 945 pages though, so it's going to take a bit of time!

message 23: by Terri (new)

Terri Moore | 1 comments I tried "Rabbit at rest" it reminded me of the books should have read at school, but didn't. Will try something else from the list.