Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

PNR/UF > Halfway to the Grave, by Jeaniene Frost

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vered (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:39AM) (new)

Vered (Vered_Ehsani) I’d seen the names Cat and Bones in different ‘favourite couples’ polls floating around Goodreads, but I had no idea who could possibly get away with naming characters with those names. Aparantly Jeaniene Frost can. By the time I’d finished Halfway to the Garve, the first in a series, I was frantically rushing to my computer to by the next book, thanking the technology gods for Kindle and wireless.

Imagine Sookie Stackhouse meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That gives you some idea. Cat is half vamp, half human and full on vampire killer. Bones is her next target. Suffice it to say that things don’t go according to plan.

While there are elements of the story that remind me of other vampire stories, the overall result is wonderfully original. Excellent writing style, great story flow, just the right amounts of romance, adventure and drama, fascinating characters who are ultimately likeable (maybe even lovable, but not in a fluffy kitten kind of way). Yup, I’ll probably cave in and get the third one as well! Note: this is definitely not young adult lit. Just letting you know… Yum.
My rating: 5 / 5
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 2: by Jax (new)

Jax One of my favorite UF series!
I adore Bones!! LOL
Though I will admit that Vlad comes in a pretty close second.
(view spoiler) had me cackling gleefully!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 123 comments I adore the entire series- among my all time favorites

message 4: by Vered (new)

Vered (Vered_Ehsani) I know, I am seriously restraining myself from buying all the rest. But I have a stack of other books and, to be honest, I've read a lot of 'brain candy' lately and am switching gears for my next book into something more spiritually nourishing. But Cat & Bones, I will definitely be back...

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica Porta (MonicaLaPorta) | 196 comments Loved this book! I thought it was quite original and fresh.

message 6: by Jessi, <~}{{CEO/Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Sep 25, 2012 10:11AM) (new)

Jessi (PixiBell) | 276 comments Mod
I love the series but I'll be honest (& this will be in my series review of Night Huntress) I hated Cat in the first 2 books and barely tolerated her in the 3rd one. It wasn't until Destined for an Early Grave, Chapter 17 (<-- which I almost cried while reading it, just saying) that I even started to like her.

Anyway after you read the whole series tell me if you think this is the funniest quote or not: "The shit’s gonna splatter, start buggin’, yo,” Mencheres responded instantly"

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 123 comments It's a great quote, among my favorites...

“Ask me if I sparkle and I’ll kill you where you stand.” (Bones)”
― Jeaniene Frost, This Side of the Grave

“You know that old saying. Once you go dead, no one's better in bed.”
― Jeaniene Frost, One Foot in the Grave

“Movies. Drinks. Headless chickens. You know, girl stuff. ”
― Jeaniene Frost, Destined for an Early Grave

Those are probably my favorite 3 funny quotes from the series. Although the "premature imflammation" was a close runner up

message 8: by Jessi, <~}{{CEO/Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

You're right...Those are also some of my favs but Menecheres just stole the quote show for me with his because you don't expect that from which made it funnier. But out of the others "premature inflammation" is my 2nd fav.

message 9: by Vered (new)

Vered (Vered_Ehsani) LOL!!! I remember a couple of those. Brilliant, sheer brilliance.

I actually liked Cat, although both her and Bones were tough to like initially. I mean, kinda hard to relate to wanting to literally kill a whole species. But they both grew on me.

message 10: by Jessi, <~}{{CEO/Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

I've loved Bones from the first. I just couldn't stand Cat.