Archives > Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12356 comments Mod
Starting this Monday!

message 2: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

As for chapters...How about 6? This book is almost 500 pages so it will probably take a bit longer. There are 39 chapters total.

Tammy | 291 comments Oh man, I loved Graceling!!

message 4: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Good :) I'm looking forward to it!

Laura (laurakyhaara) This is an AMAZING book. READ IT READ IT!!!! :D :D

message 6: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh | 15470 comments Mod
Maybe we will have more participation :)
I am looking forward to this.

message 7: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I downloaded it yesterday. Looking forward to it :)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) So good!!! Enjoy everyone :) I can't wait to read the other two books!

message 9: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Sep 21, 2012 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Have you read EVERYTHING David?!? I'm jealous!

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Lol!! When we were in Hawaii I was getting a lot of time to read in between writing sessions on the beach so I was knocking out a book every three days for a while ;) Now I'm struggling to read a book a week as I've been finishing writing the third book in The Dwellers Saga. But I just finished the first draft today (93,000 words) so I'm going to have some free time to read more again coming up soon! There are still so many books I need to read :)

message 11: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

What do you think so far Leigh? I'm just starting now, so I'll post later :)

message 12: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

It is a little confusing at first getting acquainted with the dialogue. I still don't quite get what is a graceling? Katsa is a kicka** heroine. Her characater reminds me of Jennifer Garner's character on Alias except Katsa has a sword. She accidentally kills someone when she was young because she felt threaten. Almost everyone shuns her because of her eyes and they are afraid of what she can do. Her uncle is the only one who supposedly cares for her but he is really just using her as his assassin.

message 13: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is through chapter 8

This is one of the strangest audios I've heard…with the music, different voices, and thoughts sounding like echoes. It's neat, but different.

I agree…the first few chapters are confusing. The kingdoms and their workings seem really complex.

The gracelings people who are born or "graced" with special skills. As far as I can tell so far there is no way to tell if a person will be a graceling until after they are born...then their eyes change color, but they won't know what their grace is until it comes out in some way.

I like Katsa. She's definitely going to make the book fun. She is basically doing her uncle's muscle work and getting absolutely no respect for it. I like that she's taken the initiative and started the council to use her grace to help people.

message 14: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sherry, I like the audio, too. It is almost like a play you can only hear.

message 15: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Like a play...I hadn't thought about that. I like it :)

message 16: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Your daughter's wedding pictures are beautiful!

message 17: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (last edited Sep 26, 2012 03:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thank you, Sherry. It was a wonderful night!!! I am still recovering from last week.

message 18: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I listened to Ch. 18. At first, I didn't know what to think of Po. I'm glad that Katsa finally has someone that she can feel confortable with. I like that even though Katsa was trained as a killer she tries not to kill.

message 19: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Does each Grace have it's own eye color?

message 20: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't know. I'm not sure if it says. I don't think so because Po and Katsa are fighers and they have different colors, hers blue and green, his silver and gold. That would be a creepy combination to see.

I'm at chapter 12 right now but listening as I type :) Do you think Po can read minds? What do you think of Gidon(sp) being in love with Katsa?

message 21: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (last edited Sep 26, 2012 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't remember it talking about it. Why people don't want to look at Katsa? Is it because of the eyes or her reputation? The color combination would be creepy. Po has some ablility. As far as Gidon is concerned, is he really in love with her or does he want to use her like her uncle?

message 22: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ok, I'm all caught up to 18. I like Po :)

message 23: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Fields (mary0038) | 9 comments I loved this series

message 24: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like Po, too. I'm glad Kasta finally accepts Po's Grace. He can't help it anymore than she can.

message 25: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven't finished today's yet (I think I'm on 22)...but what do you think about how his Grace is growing and getting stronger? And the fact that he thinks her Grace isn't just about fighting. Hers must be more about survival rather than just fighting.

message 26: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I still don't quite get the Grace? How does it work? Is it that the more they work it that it grows stronger? I could see that coming that it was more about survival. I'm on Ch 23.

message 27: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm on 23 now too. Have to work for a while though. I don't think the Grace is supposed to be evolving. Maybe his is just more than mindreading and he didn't realize it before?

Rachel Antzak At first I had this thought that the reason Po's grace is getting stronger is because they are entering a different region and it had something to do with the nearness to something, but maybe it has more to do with practice. Katsa's learning to block out Po, and I have a feeling that this will become important when she finnaly meets this King . . . um,Leck.

message 29: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel wrote: "At first I had this thought that the reason Po's grace is getting stronger is because they are entering a different region and it had something to do with the nearness to something..."

I hadn't thought about that. Good idea :)

message 30: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Sep 27, 2012 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I really like this book. I like how Katsa's character is growing. At first she seemed so young and innocent almost, even though she was basically a killer, but now she's seeing herself differently and realizing she does not have to be that person. Even though not much has been happening (traveling through the forest), the author does a pretty good job of keeping the story interesting. I like her writing style. It seems very simple and straightforward, but it works for the setting and the characters.

I already know I want to read the next two in the trilogy.

message 31: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I see buddy read in our future. You want to see if we can get the next in the series? I like it, too. I like the progression of Katsa and Po's characters. I really don't like this Lex's character. He is worse than Katsa's uncle. I want to find out more about his Grace. It is definitely a persuasion Grace. I think?

Laura (laurakyhaara) (As a head's up, "Fire" is a companion and more like a prequel. Bitterblue is the sequel to Graceling, but I would read "Fire" after "Graceling" and then "Bitterblue" if I were you.

message 33: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "I see buddy read in our future. You want to see if we can get the next in the series? I like it, too. I like the progression of Katsa and Po's characters. I really don't like this Lex's character. ..."

Lol! I already checked with my library. I can get Fire on audio, but I'll have to read Bitterblue.

message 34: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura wrote: "(As a head's up, "Fire" is a companion and more like a prequel. Bitterblue is the sequel to Graceling, but I would read "Fire" after "Graceling" and then "Bitterblue" if I were you."

Thanks. I noticed when I read the descriptions that they weren't exactly sequals with continuation of characters. Too bad, I like Katsa and Po :)

message 35: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

So do we do Fire or Bitterblue?

message 36: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fire is #2 even though it doesn't seem to have the same characters and Bitterblue is #3, so I say we do Fire.

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Ooh I want to read them both!! Gotta find a copy first though :)

message 38: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Sep 27, 2012 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yay David!

We still have to finish Graceling, so it won't be until next week.

message 39: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yay, David!!! I will request it from the library. We can start Monday?

message 40: by Christy (new)

Christy Hall | 3 comments I really disliked this book. The sentences are all fragments. I thought that the writing style took away from the flow of the story :(

message 41: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christy wrote: "I really disliked this book. The sentences are all fragments. I thought that the writing style took away from the flow of the story :("

We're listening to the audio book instead of actually reading it. The audio is very smooth. Interesting the difference it can make whether you're reading or hearing it.

message 42: by Christy (new)

Christy Hall | 3 comments Sheri wrote: "Christy wrote: "I really disliked this book. The sentences are all fragments. I thought that the writing style took away from the flow of the story :("

We're listening to the audio book instead of..."

Hmmmm...that is interesting. I ought to listen to it and see if it makes a difference!

message 43: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like how they do the audio. Each character has a different voice instead of the same narrator throughout. It's different.

message 44: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "Yay, David!!! I will request it from the library. We can start Monday?"

Monday should be okay. I'm on the waiting list for it but am in the #1 position so I should have it by then :)

Lauryn April (laurynapril) | 13 comments Christy wrote: "I really disliked this book. The sentences are all fragments. I thought that the writing style took away from the flow of the story :("

I noticed this here and there as well though it didn't distract me too much.

I just finished reading this and am a little unsure of how I feel about it.

I really liked the beginning - really, I loved the first half of it, but the second half got slow and drawn out to me. I also felt like it was a little heavy with feminist themes.

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Leigh wrote: "Yay, David!!! I will request it from the library. We can start Monday?"

Aww thanks! I'm not sure ill get it in time though as I'm reading 3 books right now, including The Uglies, which is awesome :)

message 47: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christy wrote: "Sheri wrote: "Christy wrote: "I really disliked this book. The sentences are all fragments. I thought that the writing style took away from the flow of the story :("

We're listening to the audio b..."

Give the audio a try. It is like listening to a play.

message 48: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I checked out Fire so when you are ready we can start. My library doesn't have Bitterblue.

message 49: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "I checked out Fire so when you are ready we can start. My library doesn't have Bitterblue."

Mine does but not the audio.

message 50: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri wrote: "Leigh wrote: "I checked out Fire so when you are ready we can start. My library doesn't have Bitterblue."

Mine does but not the audio."

I will check out the other library or see if they have the paperback.

« previous 1