UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

The Black Conspiracy (Ancient magic meets the Internet #2)
This topic is about The Black Conspiracy
Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > Posting your writing on Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Magee | 114 comments I've just posted a chapter from The Black Conspiracy here on Goodreads.

I wondered if many of you authors had tried posting extracts of your writing and, if so, how did you get the writing noticed?

And a question for any visiting readers... do you ever look at 'Goodreads Writing'?

message 2: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I put a tiny piece on here once and advertised it in my author thread. It got a few comments from people I know but I don't think it attracted any new readers. In the end I took it down so that I could include it in a Select book.

Don't let that put you off though. I've heard many good things about posting work on Goodreads, just not experienced it.

message 3: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3171 comments I didn't know you could do this!

message 4: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Magee | 114 comments I thought I'd give it a go because it was relatively easy to do and I was curious to see if it attracted any interest at all. Clearly it didn't do anything for you, Rosen.

I'll let you know if I get any results... although, without a read count it'll be hard to tell whether many folk have looked.

message 5: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 22, 2012 03:44PM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Hi Ken Len, I'm not sure where this is happening on goodreads but it isn't here on this group unless you do it in your author thread.

Sorry.....

EDIT_ Looks like I got my Kens and Lens in a muddle

message 6: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Len,

I believe that Ken was talking about the Goodreads story section: http://www.goodreads.com/story

Rosen

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Harper (peteharper) | 7 comments Thanks, Rosen - good luck with all your writing.

message 8: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Magee | 114 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Hi Ken, I'm not sure where this is happening on goodreads but it isn't here on this group unless you do it in your author thread.
"

Simon, Rosen's right, it's in the story section. This is the chapter from The Black Conspiracy which I posted.

message 9: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 22, 2012 02:54PM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments We may have got our wires crossed. Somewhere around post 5-6 a chapter was posted on this thread (which I deleted).

We don't have many rules but would like the author zone to be a place for authors to chat and readers to join in about author stuff without promotions.

I am pretty relaxed about this and allow lots of sneaky (or not so sneaky) links but decided to draw the line at chapter drops within this group.

message 10: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Magee | 114 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "We don't have many rules but would like the author zone to be a place for authors to chat and readers to join in about author stuff without promotions."

Simon, I was genuinely interested to know how authors had found posting "writing". This was not a sneaky attempt to promote my writing. Can this whole tread please be deleted... I really do not want to be party to something which breaks the spirit of the group.

message 11: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments There are two people with similar names: Ken and Len.

Ken has behaved perfectly reasonably in my opinion - yes, there's a sneaky plug but his motives seem genuine enough.

Then, Len, popped in and posted some fiction directly into the thread.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Don't get me wrong. I am more than happy for this thread to continue.

I simply removed the chapter that was posted here as I didn't want this to turn into a thread full of book extracts.

message 13: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments It wasn't Ken - it was his rhyming imposter.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Oh, my apologies then.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Are we sorted then?

Here,I'll just pop a plate of cookies in this thread. Chocolate, chocolate chip.

I didn't know there was a place in Goodreads where authors could post chapters. Obviously I don't get out of the group enough.

How very nifty. Great place to get tastes of authors I may never have heard of.

message 16: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Magee | 114 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "Here,I'll just pop a plate of cookies in this thread. Chocolate, chocolate chip."

Thanks for the thought Patti, but I've set up my computer so it doesn't accept cookies.

I'm glad we've cleared up the confusion... you'd make a good detective, Rosen!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ken, everyone in our group HAS TO accept Patti cookies. :)

Yeah Rosen.

Detective novel next, eh?

message 18: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments Rosen's proper clever, she knows loads of stuff.

message 19: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Magee | 114 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "Ken, everyone in our group HAS TO accept Patti cookies. :)"

Sorry Patti... computer says "No...!" If you don't believe me, check this out.

Computer says "No...!"

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ha!

Love Little Britain. :)

message 21: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Hi Ken. I've once or twice been directed to stuff authors have posted on GR but I don't do looking for it (as the actress said to the Bishop!) I tend to find I have enough to read with the books I download without roaming around looking for random chapters but people are fortunately all different!

message 22: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Magee | 114 comments I know what you mean, Ignite. I've been on GR for more than a year and I only became aware of 'writing excerpts' a short while ago... I think it was a GR email that mentioned the facility.

I also found it hard to choose a chapter which gave the flavour of my writing and yet didn't need a load of back story to put it in context (although I liked my choice in the end ). So maybe it's more designed for short stories or the like?

Now that I have discovered it, I will check out some of the writing posted by others. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a 'flutter' rather than a full length novel.