You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > Fall 2012 - What are you reading & why?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 366 (366 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 42775 comments Welcome to Fall 2012. Hopefully, starting a new thread will alleviate some of the problems people are having when using Goodread apps on various devices. Scrolling through multiple pages can be a pain.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 49 comments Rebecca...enjoying it.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber This weekend I have a goal of 3 books. I have to finish The Age of Miracles for my buddy read, I need to read The Store for my August-September read for another GR group and I want to get through another yellow book for my rainbow, The Yellow Birds, which arrived on my doorstep just this week. (There's nothing like the smell of new pages to welcome you home from a long day at work!)

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 42775 comments You're going to have a read-a-thon to yourself, Amber. You won't be able to put The Store down.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Picked up the second Campion book, which is looking good. Mystery Mile
Also had Old Bear Stories arrive after winning a GR giveaway. It looks lovely - I'm too young to have had this read to me, so I may have to dip into that.

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments I just finished The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin My review is here. Now its off to The Blueberry Years A Memoir of Farm and Family by Jim Minick and my first rainbow.

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Helen, gosh I remember those books by Jane Hissey. My daughter and I loved those!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Opps. Got that wrong. I meant they were published after I was at a suitable age, so I'm coming to them for the first time.

message 10: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Helen, Hissey is a great child's author. Enjoy now then.

message 11: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I finished the audiobook The Sandcastle Girls. My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

My last try for Victorian lit will be North and South. The narration by Juliet Stevenson is perfect. When you start some audiobooks you know this immediately.

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 42775 comments Chrissie wrote: "I finished the audiobook The Sandcastle Girls. My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

My last try for Victorian lit will be North and South. The narration by Juliet Stevenson is..."

I was just reviewing my to-read and to-listen-to shelves to see if I have books that I could use in my various challenges. I realized I could count The Sandcastle Girls as Syria in Around The World and swap out one of the selections for which I haven't acquired the books yet.

message 13: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I didn't know where to put The Sandcastle Girls. I was torn between Armenia and Syria. It is about the Armenian genocide, clearly. However, it takes place in Aleppo, Syria. I place my books by where they take place so finally I changed it to Syria. Aleppo was then part of the Ottoman Empire. As I see it, it doesn't really matter. I also have another book to read for Syria: The Dark Side of Love, which I also have sitting here next to my desk!

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 42775 comments The book page shows the setting as Syria, which is what made the determination for me. I have this book on my "new release challenge" too, so I can double dip. :)

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 42775 comments I just started reading The Sugar Camp Quilt for my irl bookclub which meets on Thursday night. I'm annoyed that it is set in Pennsylvania. It has such a pretty yellow cover.

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber Janice wrote: "You're going to have a read-a-thon to yourself, Amber. You won't be able to put The Store down."

You're right about that! I read half of it before bed last night and am now picking it up to finish this afternoon.

message 17: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book

Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book by Robert Kimmel Smith

Made the mistake of looking through the TBR pile in the bedroom. After a few pages I was hooked.

This edition was Reader's Digest Best Sellers 1973 $5.95 and this one is not condensed. So cute!

message 18: by Kat (last edited Sep 23, 2012 12:04PM) (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I'm reading Matched Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie to satisfy my dystopian addiction and Flowertown Flowertown by S.G. Redling to satisfy my adult post-apocalyptic addiction.

On a completely different front, I've gone back to War and Remembrance War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk and slowly working my way through it!

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 42775 comments Yellow alert!! Flowertown by S.G. Redling , Flowertown is set in Iowa. Quick, add to your yellow rainbow lists.

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Kat wrote: "I'm reading MatchedMatched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie to satisfy my dystopian addiction and FlowertownFlowertown by S.G. Redling to satisfy my adult post-apocalyptic addiction.

On a completely diffe..."

Can't wait to see what you think of Matched when it's done Kat :)

message 21: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Janice wrote: "Yellow alert!! Flowertown by S.G. Redling, Flowertown is set in Iowa. Quick, add to your yellow rainbow lists."

Hehe I was wondering which Rainbow Fanatic would notice that one first ;-)

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 1998 comments I've got three books on the go at the moment with Earth, Inversions and Death du Jour, all of which feed into my rainbow challenge ;-)

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 42775 comments Kat wrote: "Janice wrote: "Yellow alert!! Flowertown by S.G. Redling, Flowertown is set in Iowa. Quick, add to your yellow rainbow lists."

Hehe I was wondering which Rainbow Fanatic would notice that o..."

I have a sneaky suspicion that I will never look at covers the same way. I'll be checking yellow books for setting, indigo books for publishing date, red books for author's last name for a long time after this challenge is over. *sigh*

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 49 comments finished Rebecca 4 stars. now starting A Thousand Splendid Suns

message 26: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3440 comments Chrissie wrote: "I finished The Englishman's Daughter: A True Story of Love and Betrayal in World War I
Review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

and have started First They Killed My Father: A Daughte..."

Chrissie, let me know how you find First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers. I have it on my to-read shelf.

message 27: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pragya, OK.

message 28: by Shirley (last edited Sep 25, 2012 09:45AM) (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Started

Happy Hour

Happy Hour by Michele Scott

one of the whispersync bargains and I needed a fluff book after
The Orchardist

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole wrote: " now starting A Thousand Splendid Suns"

That's some book. it's my real life reading group read this month. I suspect it'll prompt a fair amount of discussion.

message 30: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments I needed a fluff book after
The Orchardist

How did you find The Orchardist, Shirley?

message 31: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Judy wrote: " I needed a fluff book after
The Orchardist

How did you find The Orchardist, Shirley?"

I loved it and the narrator can move in tonight! His voice soothing and perfect. Feel free to look at my review.

message 32: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8227 comments Amber wrote: "I want to get through another yellow book for my rainbow, The Yellow Birds, which arrived on my doorstep just this week. (There's nothing like the smell of new pages to welcome you home from a long day at work!)"

This morning I got an e-mail from my library that The Yellow Birds is available from my holds list. I'm so far behind on September books that I'm trying to put off picking it up until Friday or Saturday, but it's such a temptation... You'll probably get to it before me, so you'll have to let me know what you think of it.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Janice wrote: "I just started reading The Sugar Camp Quilt for my irl bookclub which meets on Thursday night. I'm annoyed that it is set in Pennsylvania. It has such a pretty yellow cover."

Why are you annoyed that it's set in Pennsylvania?

message 34: by Amber (new)

Amber jaxnsmom wrote: "Amber wrote: "I want to get through another yellow book for my rainbow, The Yellow Birds, which arrived on my doorstep just this week. (There's nothing like the smell of new pages to welcome you ho..."

I finished it before bed last night (quick read-read it in 2 sittings). 4 stars. The chapters alternate between the war and when he's back home after the war, and I thought it made it pretty suspenseful. As you're reading, you know of a certain outcome, and reading the before and the after and trying to piece how its all going to meet in the middle really made the pages fly by. And obviously this is a work of fiction, but you know there's some reality mixed in with the story (the author is an Iraq war vet), especially in the war scenes, and it really just makes you take a step back and think about what it was like for the soldiers through all of this. I think for me this particular story had a bigger impact than those I've read about wars in our past because this is today, the times that I'm living in and it's the people around me and people I know. Hopefully you're able to fit it into your reading schedule and enjoy it as well!

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 25, 2012 07:32PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 42775 comments Jennifer wrote: "Janice wrote: "I just started reading The Sugar Camp Quilt for my irl bookclub which meets on Thursday night. I'm annoyed that it is set in Pennsylvania. It has such a pretty yellow cover."

Why Why are you annoyed that it's set in Pennsylvania?
"

LOL! Because if it was set in Iowa or Idaho, I could have counted it towards the rainbow challenge.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 42775 comments I finished Let Me In on audiobook today so will start The Statues that Walked: Unraveling the Mystery of Easter Island for my around the world challenge.

I also started Red Glass in iBook for y rainbow challenge.

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I'm starting Reliquary by Douglas Preston, it's the sequel to Relic which I really enjoyed so I can't wait to see what happens in this book. I'm also starting Sea Change by James Powlik I'm really into the whole monsters theme right now.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I've just finished Mystery Mile. Really good and kept me on my toes most of the way through. He's becomming less Whimsey-esque, although I'm wondering if he has Bertie Wooster overtones. Lugg is a most unusual character!

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) I am reading Plum Wine by Angela Davis-Gardner for my book club, and listening to the audio of I Curse the River of Time by Per Petterson . I do so enjoy when the book covers coordinate -- this time in both colors and the depiction of rivers. One time i was reading five books and they all have red and black covers. Okay, I'm weird.

message 40: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3440 comments Now we know how Susan picks up her current reads. ;)

message 41: by Almeta (last edited Sep 26, 2012 12:25PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9595 comments I've been reading Birding by Ear Eastern and Central North America by Richard K. Walton . This is a booklet of various birds, their picture, habitat, and description of the sounds they make, both in song and as calls, with accompanying CDs of the actual sounds and narrated pointers for recognition.

I live next to a narrow strip of woodland along the banks of a creek. Hear all kinds of forest sounds but can't identify their origins, mostly because of the foliage cover. I borrowed this from the library to learn more about the birds in my backyard.

Will check it out again next spring, when the chorus is greater!

message 42: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Susan wrote: "I am reading Plum Wine by Angela Davis-Gardner for my book club, and listening to the audio of I Curse the River of Time by Per Petterson. I do so enjoy when the book covers coordinate -- this time ..."

That sounds like a plum of a reason to read them. :-)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a fab idea, Almeta. When i was running I'd often see & hear birds but not be able to identify them. partly that's 'coz i couldn't see them in the distance - i run without my glasses!

Anyway, got home with a pile of library books to find a GR giveaway prize on the doorstep. Shadow of the Horsemen. And opened it to find it signed and with a personalised dedication. how lovely. I'm already well disposed towards it.

message 44: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Almeta wrote: "I've been reading Birding by Ear Eastern and Central North America by Richard K. Walton. This is a booklet of various birds, their picture, habit, and description of the sounds they make, both in s..."

Have you watched Steve Martin "The Big Year" or “Birders: The Central Park Effect,” HBO. The birds — 117 species in all — get their own credits in the film, in order of appearance, starting with a double-crested cormorant and ending with a hooded warbler?

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) Pragya wrote: "Now we know how Susan picks up her current reads. ;)" No, it has to be pure happenstance, otherwise I would have to be Organized and Plan Ahead -- two things I am incapable of.

message 46: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Almeta wrote: "I've been reading Birding by Ear Eastern and Central North America by Richard K. Walton. This is a booklet of various birds, their picture, habit, and description of the sounds they make, both in s..."

That one sounds interesting. I love books like that.

message 47: by Marren (last edited Sep 26, 2012 11:12AM) (new)

Marren I am reading Great Expectations and Emma. I want to reread Austen's books.

message 48: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Marren, that is a great goal. Good luck with your reading! Are these your first for these authors?

message 49: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Janice wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Janice wrote: "I just started reading The Sugar Camp Quilt for my irl bookclub which meets on Thursday night. I'm annoyed that it is set in Pennsylvania. It has such a pretty yel..."

Ah! That makes sense.

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) I just finished Brava, Valentine Brava, Valentine by Adriana Trigiani , which is the second of her books about an Italian-American family that owns a custom shoemaking company. I hope she writes a third and finishes the story. And the thanksgiving-dinner-gone-Hindenburg family scene was PRICELESS. I couldn't have stopped reading during that scene long enough to take my hand off a hot burner.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.