Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

Member's Corner > Let's Chat!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jax (new)

Jax Hey!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the special little lady!! ;D
And good luck! I go a little nuts with anything more then 4 kids around at the same time! LOL

Oh how I wish we had a better library system!
I really miss the one I had growing up!
I currently have a wishlist a mile long - and it doesn't even include half of my GR to-read list! LOL

But with any luck, it'll get reduced with my birthday coming up! Its about the only thing making me look forward to it! LOL

message 2: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 30 comments Happy birthday to the two of you!

message 3: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 30 comments Happy birthday to the two of you!

message 4: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Happy birthday to the young lady :)

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Okay, this thread might get pretty busy! I have 19 grandkids, half of them local and involved in sports. LOL

Yesterday I went to see my 15 year old granddaughter in her water polo game. They lost 6-5 but it was great fun because two of my own daughters were there, plus I got to see four of my grandchildren.

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments HAVE TO READ THIS ONE!

Me in my freshman classroom talking to my students about books: It's going to be around 5 years before our district can afford to buy more textbooks.

Student: Mrs. Evans, why don't they just ADOPT the books? That's what my school did last year.

Me. hahahahahahahahaha uncontrollably!!! Tears running down my face.

Student: I'm serious. They didn't have any money either, so they said they ADOPTED new books. Ask the principal. Maybe he'll let you adopt some books for us.

Me: Can't speak!

MADE MY DAY! LOL

message 7: by Jax (new)

Jax @ Vicky - LOL - If you do find a way to adopt books, please let me know - I'd be pretty darn interested!! :D

On A more somber note though - your reference to school budget depresses me - as it deals with one of my soapbox issues! But I'm definitely NOT going to start ranting now... :D

message 8: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Jessi Overton (pixibell) | 281 comments Mod
@Sarajayne: How was the party?

message 9: by Jax (new)

Jax Jessi wrote: "@Sarajayne: How was the party?"

LOL - Yes!!... Are you still sane??? ;D

message 10: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Ever since the movie "Dr. Giggles" dentists freak me out

message 11: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments This sore throat thing is sweeping the whole wide world from one side to the other, it seems :( Well, dentist aside, I hope you feel better soon, Sarajayne :)

message 12: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Vicki wrote: "HAVE TO READ THIS ONE!

Me in my freshman classroom talking to my students about books: It's going to be around 5 years before our district can afford to buy more textbooks.

Student: Mrs. Evans, ..."

... and 15 grandchildren?! Oh wow! How many kids do you have?

message 13: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Sarajayne wrote: "It went well-it was just my in-laws and sister in law (we did the kid's friend party on Saturday). My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both teachers and right now they're working 12 hour days so..."

Oh no, sorry about the sore throat. Seems I introduced a virus into GR! And kids birthday parties are my number 1 'Do I have to' thing that I have to do.

message 14: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Sarajayne! Hopefully, the results of your glucose test is negative. Sorry to hear about the ER visit :( Good for your mother in law :)Cyber hugs for you!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments Sorry... I know the feeling of being poked and prodded and long waits for tests and such. At least it's prime reading time

message 16: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

:-( That completely sucks but I hope everything turns out okay!!!

message 17: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Sarajayne wrote: "Checking in :) It's been a rough few days as my family has been fighting a nasty bug. I also ended up in the ER on Sunday night due to a pain on my right side (thought it was my appendix), and foun..."

Yikes! What a week indeed. And I hate that sugar blood test. I did it once, and refused ever since. Blah. Take a good book. Hope all goes well.

On a side note: Sugar is a major poison and wrecks havoc. (I'm still thinking about a previous conversation with this group involving excessive amounts of caffeine and sugar!!!), so whatever the results, it may not be a bad idea to cut back.

Ok, enough lecturing...

message 18: by Jax (new)

Jax @ Vered: LOL
Isn't it just plain old ironic how everything nummy and tasty - and that we love - is usually "bad" for us...
but all those nasty tasting horrors are healthy???

Somebody definitely has a very nasty sense of humor! ;D

message 19: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Ah come on - spinach tastes great!

message 20: by Jax (new)

Jax Depending on preparation, I agree...
(and will also concede that everyone has different tastes ;D )

Brussel Sprouts however are just plain NASTY!
And no amount of Nutritional value will get me to eat Liver... UGH!!

message 21: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) I pity your family...

message 22: by Jax (new)

Jax @ Sarajayne - Ouch! I shall endeavor to make it up for you, and shall consume your share of the caffeine... ;D

I honestly don't think I could function properly without my caffeine!
With luck the test results will be in your favor and you can go back to your norm. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone!

In about 3 hours and 6 minutes, I turn 16! *happy dance*

Looking forward for the last 3 hours for being a teenager and really looking forward for becoming a young woman in 3 hours and now 5 minutes! (No wait, 4 minutes!)

Happy Friday!:)

message 24: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Wakeling | 12 comments Hannah Lesley wrote: In about 3 hours and 6 minutes, I turn 16! *happy dance*

Not long now! An early Happy Birthday to you from me in London :)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Geoffrey wrote: "Hannah Lesley wrote: In about 3 hours and 6 minutes, I turn 16! *happy dance*

Not long now! An early Happy Birthday to you from me in London :)"

Thank you hun!:)

message 26: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 30 comments Hannah Lesley wrote: "Hello everyone!

Looking forward for the last 3 hours for being a teenager and really looking forward for becoming a young woman in 3 hours..."

Happy birthday!

message 27: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Happy Birthday, Hannah! How did you celebrate?

message 28: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Hannah Lesley wrote: "Hello everyone!

Looking forward for the last 3 hours for being a teenager and really looking forward for becoming a young woman in 3 hours..."

Happy Birthday! Although I would've said you were already a young woman before, but hey, 16 is a fun age. Enjoy!

message 29: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Happy Sweet 16 Hannah! :o)

message 30: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Vered wrote: "Vicki wrote: "HAVE TO READ THIS ONE!

Student..."

Actually, make that 19 grandkids; 10 boys, 9 girls. :o)

message 31: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) I am in awe...

message 32: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments So am I, Vered. You should see all of them. SO freaking precious. Brianna, 18, plays guitar and sings like an angel; Christopher almost 18, acts, dances, sings, plays drums and piano; Sierra and Madilyn almost 17 are twins, completely outgoing and always down for whatever without fear of embarrassment; Brandon almost 17 is one of the best and most competitive soccer players ever! Treats his girlfriend like a queen! Julianna, 15, so affectionate and complimentary is a water polo player; Michael, 15, funnier than all get up! Very affectionate, too. Jeaneen, 13, a GATE student, and VERY artistic and loves to bake and do anything creative; Joshie, will be 13 in 2 days, is into Karate, actually Tai Kwan Do (sp?) and loves it! Arieanna, 11, is at soccer 24/7...extremely competitive and VERY good! I'll save the under 10 age group for another day.

Sorry...this was the extremely edited, concise, hardly told you anything except this: I LOVE my grandkids and am SO proud of each of them and their individuality!

message 33: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Vicki wrote: "So am I, Vered. You should see all of them. SO freaking precious. Brianna, 18, plays guitar and sings like an angel; Christopher almost 18, acts, dances, sings, plays drums and piano; Sierra and Ma..."

OH WOW! They sound awesome! It always amazes me how unique each child is. Looks like your kids really encouraged their kids to find their paths of interest. No wonder you're a proud granny.

message 34: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Vicki, what a wonderful family you got!

message 35: by Sophia-Maria (last edited Oct 07, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

Sophia-Maria (augustineofelsinore) | 37 comments So, I was thinking... Could you add a topic on what are you currently reading? I'd love to chat about our choices and what do we think about them while reading ! We can write our impressions on our current reads and recommend,too;)

message 36: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Yes!I'd like to talk about what I'm reading :) Slightly related, I wanted to ask if anybody had read any of Octavia Butler's books.

message 37: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) sure, will do.

message 38: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Vered wrote: "Vicki wrote: "So am I, Vered. You should see all of them. SO freaking precious. Brianna, 18, plays guitar and sings like an angel; Christopher almost 18, acts, dances, sings, plays drums and piano;..."

Yes, I'd say that, for the most part, my own children do an amazing job! Two of my children met their spouses at a very young age. Becky met her husband when she was 14 and he was 17. They now have four kids and have been married 12 years. Brian met his wife when she was 14 and he was 16 and now they've been married almost 19 years and have 6 kids. LOL

message 39: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Monica wrote: "Vicki, what a wonderful family you got!"

Thanks, Monica. :o) I think so, too! :o)

message 40: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Awesome!

message 41: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments It seems that the nasty bug arrived here as well. Wandering around, stuffy nose, itchy throat, and a most unconvenient headache. Writing is greatly suffering for it, but my beloved Earl Grey is near and the latest Muse is playing :)

message 42: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Taber | 78 comments Oh no! Feel better, Monica!

message 43: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments thank you, Kristen :) I have a nice pile of books by my side and another cup of tea. Trying to write my quota of words for the day, will see :)

message 44: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Taber | 78 comments That can be hard when you're not feeling well, but I wish you the best of luck with it! Enjoy your reading and tea :). And speedy recoveries!

message 45: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Monica wrote: "It seems that the nasty bug arrived here as well. Wandering around, stuffy nose, itchy throat, and a most unconvenient headache. Writing is greatly suffering for it, but my beloved Earl Grey is nea..."

Sorry to hear you are not well or that your family isn't. Hope the bug leaves your home.

message 46: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Thank you, Vicki :) I'm slowly recovering. Fortunately, it wasn't that bad, just lengthy. On the positive side, I read and wrote more than usual. Go figure :)

message 47: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Taber | 78 comments A lot of people are at work, too. I'm trying to avoid everyone, since third trimester typically means I'll catch everything, but I think that's going to be impossible! At least on here, my anti-virus scan protects me ;).
Monica, I'm so glad you were able to use the time productively and that you're starting to feel better!

message 48: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Oh, Kristen,congrats!

message 49: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Yeah Monica!
And yeah Kristen! When are you due?

message 50: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Hi Sarajayne! Yes, you've been quiet. Is it you who recommended the Parasol Protectorate? Dang, lady, I just started it today and can't put it down. I love the writing style! One of my favourite books is Pride and Prejudice, and the gossipy tone is very much in this book as well, plus great paranormals!

« previous 1