Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Fault in Our Stars
This topic is about The Fault in Our Stars
BOOK DISCUSSIONS > The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I have read this book months ago, so I cannot remember every detail.
If you have read the book, what do you think of it?

Sapir | 138 comments Personally, I didn't like this book. It was too depressing and pessimistic.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments It might be because it is a book about cancer, that's why.

Sapir | 138 comments I know, but even books about cancer should have a hint of hope.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments True.. A happier ending would be better.

Deepika (deepika3) | 247 comments Thats the thing..! Not every story has a happy ending.

message 7: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Oct 10, 2012 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I liked this because I thought it did have hope.

Because even when you're dying, there's still one last wish a foundation might be willing to make come true. And there might be love at the end of it all, even if it hurts.
There was another book like this one too, Before I Die. I liked The Fault in Our Stars better than that one, because of John's humor.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Trisha wrote: "I liked this because I thought it did have hope.

Because even when you're dying, there's still one last wish a foundation might be willing to make come true. And there might be love at the end of ..."

It's a book about cancer, so it is not a surprise if there are some heartbreaking scenes. And yes, I think the book is funny also :)

Jan Bethel (jan_bitz) | 108 comments Me too, Gisbelle! :) I read this book months ago too but it feels like I'm still living in it. hahaha!

I see Sapir's point about this book being a bit depressing. Well, I guess it should be because it's a book about cancer after all. But I also think it speaks about being happy and living despite having cancer. And yes, John Green's humor is what makes this book even better.

It's depressing and funny! ;)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Books about cancer are my favorite :) Called me whatever you want, but I love tearjerkers :D

Jan Bethel (jan_bitz) | 108 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Books about cancer are my favorite :) Called me whatever you want, but I love tearjerkers :D"

Ditto! ;)

Deepika (deepika3) | 247 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Books about cancer are my favorite :) Called me whatever you want, but I love tearjerkers :D"

Same here!

Tiffanie Matteson (tiffmatteson) I personally thought this book was inspiring ...hazel grace was sooo strong throughout the entire book. I don't think I have ever cried as much as I did when I read this . I was literally heart broken when Gus died! I really liked it though. I love john green!

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Me too. I cried so hard. And laughed so hard as well. It is a very amazing book!

Alice (alice20) This book was FANTASTIC.

It was a bit sad, but everything else about was just so good that I didn't mind. I mean, it is a book about cancer patients. Almost every cancer book ends like this one.

Heather | 108 comments It is a sad book, but life is like that too. Sometimes sad, sometimes joyful. It's the name of the game. I just don't understand how anyone can call this book pessimistic. It's quite optimistic, in fact. The theme is to enjoy life no matter how bad it may seem. And most importantly, it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...

message 18: by Angela (last edited Dec 11, 2012 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angela | 17787 comments I feel like I'm the only person who didn't like this book. I honestly would have given this two stars, but I rounded it up by a lot to three. ._. I don't get what was so good about this book.

message 19: by Gisbelle (last edited Dec 11, 2012 10:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Well different people like different things, I guess. Sometimes a book may make no sense to a person, but may mean so much the others :)

Tesni (tezbuzz) | 46 comments I thought this book was brilliant. I adored it- it made me feel something I can't put into words. I really want to reread it this year.

Angela | 17787 comments Tesni wrote: "I thought this book was brilliant. I adored it- it made me feel something I can't put into words. I really want to reread it this year."

I feel so heartless. D:

Gisbelle | 27299 comments lol.. Angela. NO... different people feel different;y about a book. Just because you don't like it that much doesn't mean you are heartless or anything.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Tesni wrote: "I thought this book was brilliant. I adored it- it made me feel something I can't put into words. I really want to reread it this year."

Me too. It was so different from other cancer books, right?

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Angela, I loved this book so much. Even strictly from a literary point of view, the writing is simply amazing!

I always wonder what's wrong with me if I don't care much for a book that has high ratings or I think it's amazing but the ratings are lower than I think they should be. We just all have differences of opinion. Sometimes we can't relate to the characters, the subject matter, pacing, voice, writing style, diction, and so much more! Just know we simply are NEVER all going to agree no matter who the "we" might be. :)

Imogen | 29 comments I loved it. It's definitly one of my favorite books.

Jessica (jessicalynxo) OMg I accidentally made a second thread of this book WHOOPS

Jessica (jessicalynxo) I thought it was incredibly sad, but also incredibly well-written!

Lauren (lm5590) | 72 comments I just finished this book last night. I blew through it so quickly because I couldn't stop reading!
I am so happy that I read this book. However, it was extremely sad! (Which I was expecting, but still!) Here I go in my efforts to pour out my heart (hopefully the events are all in the right order!):

The first time I cried is when Isaac's girlfriend broke up with him because he was losing his eyesight. The second time I cried is when Gus told Hazel that he was dying. The third time I cried is when I read that Hazel went to Gus's house every day until he died. The fourth time I cried is when Hazel went to visit Gus and he was covered in his own urine. The fifth time I cried is when Gus drove to the gas station and Hazel had to go help him and he was sent to the hospital. The sixth time I cried is when Gus had his pre-funeral at the Literal Heart of Jesus, and Isaac and Hazel read eulogies to Gus. The seventh time I cried is when Gus dies. The eighth time I cried is when Hazel gets the eulogy back from the author she loves, which Gus wrote for her. That was when I really was upset.

Sorry to be long-winded. But I just HAD to tell SOMEONE how I feel about this book! (My boyfriend doesn't want to hear it. He sat there and watched me cry as I read).

Janna Marie (jannamarie) | 640 comments Don't be sorry! My husband also refused to hear about it when I finished reading it a few months back. He thinks I torture myself with sad books. Lol

This book was so freaking sad! Every part you brought up tugged on my heart strings. I found the convenient store scene and him telling her that he was dying the hardest to read.

Lauren (lm5590) | 72 comments Janna wrote: "Don't be sorry! My husband also refused to hear about it when I finished reading it a few months back. He thinks I torture myself with sad books. Lol

This book was so freaking sad! Every part you ..."

That's so funny that your husband thinks you torture yourself with sad books! My boyfriend said the exact same thing! He said something like, "If you are going to cry over the book, then why are you putting yourself through that?" He just doesn't understand! Maybe I am torturing myself, because next I'm going to read If I Stay by Gayle Forman.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Lauren, men don't get it! Lol

Jessica (jessicalynxo) My personal opinion is that John Green is incapable of writing a bad book. Sure, this book was incredibly sad--I can't relate to Hazel Grace, Isaac, Gus, or any other characters--but knowing people dying from cancer was what made the book hard to read. The plot didn't make me sad, but my background experience was what made me feel upset when reading the book. Some people argue over whether or not this book has a happy ending--what do you guys think? I'm honestly not sure.

jenny (sungkew) I really loved the Fault in the Stars - it's one of my favorites - but I didn't really like Looking For Alaska. It was a little boring to me. I guess it could be though that I usually read fantasy and have a really low patience level for books. Maybe if there was a little more action in it I would have enjoyed it more :)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Jessica wrote: "My personal opinion is that John Green is incapable of writing a bad book. Sure, this book was incredibly sad--I can't relate to Hazel Grace, Isaac, Gus, or any other characters--but knowing people..."

When you pointed out like that, yes I agree. Every one of his book is pretty funny, even the ones that are supposed to be sad.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Jenny wrote: "I really loved the Fault in the Stars - it's one of my favorites - but I didn't really like Looking For Alaska. It was a little boring to me. I guess it could be though that I usually read fantasy ..."

Looking for Alaska was ok, not as good as FiOS. I didn't like sex talk in LFA.

jenny (sungkew) I didn't like that either Gisbelle. I felt uncomfortable while reading it. I guess I just prefer things to be a little more innocent in my books like things don't need to be sexual or anything to be in love; kind of like in TFIOS. I didn't care for Alaska either, she was kind of rude.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments yes, I didn't like Alaska much either.

Jessica (jessicalynxo) Jenny wrote: "I really loved the Fault in the Stars - it's one of my favorites - but I didn't really like Looking For Alaska. It was a little boring to me. I guess it could be though that I usually read fantasy ..."

I really liked Looking For Alaska, but that's just my opinion. :)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) Jenny wrote: "I didn't like that either Gisbelle. I felt uncomfortable while reading it. I guess I just prefer things to be a little more innocent in my books like things don't need to be sexual or anything to b..."

I think that her rudeness was what Green was aiming for :)

Angela | 17787 comments I don't really like any of his books. ><

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Jessica, I liked Looking for Alaska. Thought it was a good one, but I still don't know why he liked Alaska :)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Angela (: wrote: "I don't really like any of his books. ><"

His Will Grayson is pretty good. Very funny.

message 43: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella | 21 comments One of my favourite books I heard they might be making a film as well I just thought it was so realistic the way John Green was able to contrast the humour and tragedy of the book. My favourite line (view spoiler)
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.

Angela | 17787 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Angela (: wrote: "I don't really like any of his books. >

His Will Grayson is pretty good. Very funny."

I haven't read that one yet. I gave up on his books after TFioS.

Lauren (lm5590) | 72 comments Jessica wrote: "My personal opinion is that John Green is incapable of writing a bad book. Sure, this book was incredibly sad--I can't relate to Hazel Grace, Isaac, Gus, or any other characters--but knowing people..."

I think it did have a happy ending. Of course it was sad that Gus died, but the last lines of the book make me believe that they were happy with the choices they made in life, and I got the impression that they were grateful for the time they spent together.

Ashley Reads (summerfirefly) | 371 comments I also really liked how Hazel and Isaac were friends afterwards, too. :)

message 47: by Ms. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 14 comments I liked this book way too much. :-)

I also heard they already picked an actor to play Gus - Ansel Elgort? Haven't seen him in anything yet, I think.

And Shailene Woodley as Hazel but she's Tris in Divergent too, I just wish they didn't cast her for both movies.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

John Green is clearly a very gifted writer (liked Paper Towns a lot) - he's got a bit of a Salinger thing going on. But I just couldn't get into this book. I tried three times and couldn't get through the first chapter. I wasn't engaged for some reason. I'll probably come back to it at a later date because like I said - he's a good writer. I just can't connect to it right now.

Ayesha | 48 comments To be honest, I didn't like this book. There were few Bollywood movies I had seen years ago with the same theme and basically the same plot so I found the story to be predictable and boring. I couldn't even connect to the characters. I would've liked this book if Green would've actually shown Gus's death rather than saying "he died 8 days after giving his eulogy".

Angela | 17787 comments Ayesha wrote: "To be honest, I didn't like this book. There were few Bollywood movies I had seen years ago with the same theme and basically the same plot so I found the story to be predictable and boring. I coul..."

I totally agree with you. I found nothing special about this book compared to the many other books about cancer.

« previous 1