What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Second to None
This topic is about Second to None
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA, father seeks his illegitimate child to ask her to be a donor [s]

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Young adult. Read ~ 10 years ago.

A teenage girl lives with her mother. Her mother was his father's lover. I think heroine never meet her father. Her father was married, rich and had two sons.

One day her father wants to meet her and invites her to his home. She meets his wife, her older stepbrother and younger stepbrother who is ill.

She learns that she is the only suitable donor(bone marrow or something like that) for her stepbrother and that's the only reason why her father made contact with her.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Geeze--haven't read this book myself, but if I were that girl's Mum, Dad would be missing a few important bits after I found out WHY he suddenly wanted to meet her.

message 3: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments It may be written by German author.

message 4: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Geeze--haven't read this book myself, but if I were that girl's Mum, Dad would be missing a few important bits after I found out WHY he suddenly wanted to meet her."

hehe

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Actually Anna--if the girl never met her Dad--then HOW did he know that she was the only possible donor? His oldest son who was a full blood sibling would be statistically more likely to be a match than a half sibling. Ok, Ok, I admit it--I DO pick apart stupid science problems--but my hubby is a nuclear chemist and I was a chemistry and math major in college. So people who do NOT do their homework annoy me.

I really do hope that we find out who wrote this book. I'll have to read it, then send a nasty letter to the author if he doesn't answer that question.

message 6: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 113 comments This sounds like several that I read. Do you have anymore information on the book. Names of the characters, location of the story ect?

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Geeze--haven't read this book myself, but if I were that girl's Mum, Dad would be missing a few important bits after I found out WHY he suddenly wanted to meet her."

Agreed. I mean thats just horrible.

message 8: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Actually Anna--if the girl never met her Dad--then HOW did he know that she was the only possible donor? His oldest son who was a full blood sibling would be statistically more likely to be a mat..."

I can't answer that. Maybe she meet her father and his family and then was asked to do a test. I don't remember.

I just remember that she was the suitable donor.

message 9: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Stephanie wrote: "This sounds like several that I read. Do you have anymore information on the book. Names of the characters, location of the story ect?"

Well I believe that the ill brother was like 12 years old, he suffered from the side effects of his treatment (didn't have hair, was swollen and had pinkish skin colour)

His older brother was drug addict or alcoholic and probably that the reason why he wasn't suitable donor or was it mother? Whoever it was that person blamed themselves and kept distance from the sick child.

When the girl learned why she was contacted she was very angry but made decision that she will agree for the sake of her younger half-brother.

Could be written from 1st POV.

That's all I can remember for now.

message 10: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments bump

message 12: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Kris wrote: "Hummingbird Heart by Robin Stevenson? Hummingbird Heart by Robin Stevenson"

Nope.

It's does sound very similar to the one I'm looking for but it isn't the right one.

Thank you

message 13: by Kris (last edited Nov 21, 2013 09:08AM) (new)

Kris | 35138 comments Mod
The other book I've come across is "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult which is based on the Marissa Ayala case (a child created to be a bone marrow donor for her sister dying of leukemia).

message 14: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Kris wrote: "The other book I've come across is "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult which is based on the Marissa Ayala case (a child created to be a bone marrow donor for her sister dying of leukemia)."

Similar but not the one

message 15: by mdt (new)

mdt (mdt13) | 106 comments Maybe Second to None ?

message 16: by Kris (new)

That looks promising. Good find, MDT.

message 17: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments I'm not sure :( And the book isn't available on amazon so I can't even read an example and see if I recognize it :(

message 18: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Nov 22, 2013 02:55PM) (new)

Anna--Barnes & Nobles has the book as an ebook (unfortunately, it's like $10) so there is that option. If you don't have a Nook, you can download the app and read the book on your tablet, phone or computer. Also, the author listed isn't the same one that GR is showing--not sure why. But at least you do have an option on it.

message 19: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments When I googled B&N page didn't show up for me. :/ I'll check out that book right now.

message 20: by Kris (new)

Here's an excerpt from "Second to None". (The author is cited as ArLynn Leiber Presser.)
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b11...

message 21: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Yay! That the one! Thank you very much! :D

message 22: by Kris (new)

Great. Glad MDT cracked the case. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Second to None (other topics)
Hummingbird Heart (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin Stevenson (other topics)