Goodreads Sri Lanka discussion

General Discussions > Who are the most interesting characters you have met in a book?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dulini (new)

Dulini | 5 comments We meet so many interesting people in books, Some of them are much more interesting than the people we meet in real life.
Out of all the people I've met in books, right now I can think of three. One of them is Prabhu from Shantaram. He is hands down the happiest person I've met in a book so far.
The second person is Judy Abbot from Daddy-longlegs. The way she looks at the world is really interesting and she can find something exiting with anything ordinary.
The third character is not really a person. it's Marvin the robot from The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. He made me laugh so hard while I was reading the book probably because I can relate to that depressed robot a lot.

message 2: by Amalie (last edited Sep 25, 2012 06:53AM) (new)

Amalie  | 51 comments Mod
Dulini wrote: "We meet so many interesting people in books, Some of them are much more interesting than the people we meet in real life..."

Ok, I'll bite. Hmmm.. top three you mean? There are sooo many! This is tough but I'll try this way: 15 (categories) You can add your own category! Yes...take your time and enjoy!

favourite hero: Captain Wentworth Persuasion
favourite heroine: Éowyn The Lord of the Rings Bad guys should be careful making statements like "No living man can kill me"when they’re fighting ladies!
favourite villain: Lord Voldemort
favourite tragic-hero: Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
favourite tragic-heroine: Tess,Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Best female character: Jane Eyre
Best male character: Jay Gatsby, The Great Gatsby
The most challenging to read but well-written character: The Joker "Batman comics" Also Hannibal Lecter
Most annoying character: Mrs Norris Mansfield Park
The funniest character: Toad, The Wind in the Willows
The most unique character: Sherlock Holmes
The most pathetic character: Mr. Collins Pride and Prejudice
The most depressing character to read: Count Vronsky Anna Karenina
The best child character: Pippi, Pippi Longstocking
The best animal character: Aslan, the Great Lion in "Narnia"
The best minor character: Joe Gargery, Great Expectations
The best character who fools the readers: Humbert Humbert, Lolita

Character you absolutely love: Princess Maria War and Peace
Character you absolutely hate: Alec d'Urberville Tess of the D'Urbervilles

message 3: by Chanaka (new)

Chanaka Hettige (tchanah) | 11 comments Out of all the interesting characters I have met so far in my book-land I love Artemis Fowl!His brilliance, character and every thing who he is inspires me. I simply love it, and u all should try it too!

message 4: by Mishma (new)

Mishma Nixon | 4 comments The characters that have made an impact in my heart are
Rose Hathaway-Vampire Academy
Ian O'Shea-The Host
Draco Malfoy-Harry Potter
Sirius Black-Harry Potter
Jenny Greenley-Teen Idol
Aslan-Narnia
Dexter Jones-This Lullaby
Rashel Jordan-Night World
Jez Redfern-Night World
Damon Salvatore-Vampire Diaries
Bonnie Mccullough-Vampire Diaries
Well certainly there are others but these are the ones that came to my mind automatically.

message 5: by Chanaka (new)

Chanaka Hettige (tchanah) | 11 comments When I read your reply I thought: "I should be more accurate in my comment" :D

message 6: by Rashantha (last edited Oct 03, 2012 06:49AM) (new)

Rashantha | 2 comments OK! My turn.

Constantin Demeris - The other side of midnight, Memories of midnight

Tyrion Lannister, Arya stark, Syrio Forel,Jaquen Hgar - A song of ice & fire

Don Vito Corleone - The godfather

Robert Langdon - Angels & Demons,Da vinci code, etc.....

Alex Cross - Alex Cross series

Elisabeth Slander - Millennium trilogy

Azoth(Kylar stern) - The night angel trilogy

Those are the name that came up instantly.Well there are more & will try to update.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexandrawiky) | 2 comments An interesting thread!!!
My turn now
Here we go:-

No matter who comes in, 1st place in my heart always goes to
Fred & George-Harry Potter series
plus
Harry Potter, Luna Lovegood, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin & Tom Marvolo Riddle

Robert Langdon-Dan Brown

Jem Merlin-Jamaica Inn

Frank Marshall-The Boy Who Invented the Bubble Gun; An Odyssey of Innocence

Julian-The Naughtiest Girl is a Monitor

Sherlock Holmes

Dennis-The Adventures off Dennis

Mia Thermopolis-The Princess Diaries

Pete, Alina-The Boat House

Christy Huddleston, David Grantland-Christy

Elizabeth Wakefield-Sweet Valley Series

Tom Sawyer =)

Still more names come running down, but I guess these people are the best of all!!!

message 8: by Amalie (new)

Alexandra wrote: "An interesting thread!!!
My turn now
Here we go:-

No matter who comes in, 1st place in my heart always goes to
Fred & George-Harry Potter series
plus
Harry Potter, Luna Lovegood, Sirius Black, Rem..."

Actually, this is really interesting! I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan but I like them and the characters are so unique, fresh and no cliches other than that Malfoy perhaps, the rich kid with a powerful dad. I love the character's from the previous generation specially Black, Voldemort and Snape.

And I personally believe, Voldemort is not THE most cruel villain ever...he has been an orphan, half blood? There's more psychology into the character.

message 9: by Dulini (new)

Dulini | 5 comments Amalie wrote: "Dulini wrote: "We meet so many interesting people in books, Some of them are much more interesting than the people we meet in real life..."

Ok, I'll bite. Hmmm.. top three you mean? There are sooo..."

Wow that's a very comprehensive analysis.

message 10: by Kuluni (last edited Sep 28, 2012 07:06AM) (new)

Kuluni (koochiee) | 2 comments Hey, I kinda stole off Amalie's template, hope that's ok. I've added a few as well and can there be several favorites..? :)

There maybe some spoilers, you've been warned!! :)

favourite hero: Mikael Blomkvist - Millennium Triology, Mr. Rochester - Jane Eyre
favourite heroine: Lisbeth Salander - Millennium Triology,
favourite villain: The Phantom of the Opera (In the beginning), Camerlegno Carlo Ventresca - Angels and Demons
favourite tragic-hero: The Phantom of the Opera (In the end)
favourite tragic-heroine: Lucy Snowe - Villette (I cried like a baby!)
Best female character: Rebecca
Best male character: Mr. Rochester - Jane Eyre, John Thornton - North & South

Favorite paranormal character: The Canterville Ghost
Favorite team: Nicholas Easter & Marlee - The Runaway Jury
Favorite Detectives: Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes

Most annoying character: Briony Tallis - Atonement
The funniest character: Emma Corrigan - Can You Keep a Secret?
The most unique character: Sherlock Holmes definitely!!
The most pathetic character: Mr. Collins - Pride and Prejudice
The most depressing character to read: Winston Smith - 1984, Heathcliff - Wuthering Heights
The best child character: Scout Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
The best character who fools the readers: Dr. Sheppard, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Umm Spoiler alert...?)

Character you absolutely love: Mr. Darcy - Pride and Prejudice
Character you absolutely hate: Martin Vanger - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Some categories have more than one character (It's soo hard to put just one!!), Took almost an hour to complete this. *phew*

message 11: by Amalie (new)

Kc wrote: "Hey, I kinda stole off Amalie's template, hope that's ok. I've added a few as well and can there be several favorites..? :)

There maybe some spoilers, you've been warned!! :)

favourite hero: Mika..."

That's one good lookin' list! :D

Other than favourite heroine being the Lisbeth Salander. I absolutely hated that book. The girl is branded just like the tatoos, it's sad she's drawn like a freak and read by others like a freak and a careful read will show that's how THE WRITER wants us to feel about her, anyway it's only my opinion. :)

I'm adding few more "stealing" from yours.

Favorite paranormal character: Gollum (The Lord of the Rings) or Mr Hyde (Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde) Did anyone else know that these characters were actually the first references in writings to "dissociative identity disorder" aka "multiple personality disorder"?

Favorite team: George and Lennie Of Mice and Men ( the very thought makes me cry)

Favorite Detectives: Nancy Drew (don't laugh) and Holmes

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

This will take time i'll add mine later. An interesting idea!

message 13: by Dulshani (new)

Dulshani | 3 comments Interesting idea... Well I wish I could come up with a more ordered list, but here I go... (Though I must say most of these are echoes of previous posters!)

Tyrion Lannister, Arya Stark and Ceresei Lannister(yes!) from A Game of Thrones

Severus Snape, Harry Potter, Fred and George Weasely and Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter.

Lisbeth Salander from the Millenium Triology. What drew me to her most was that she believes that being evil is actually a choice and doesn't depend on circumstances. She had such a hard childhood and had all reasons and ability to hate the world and take revenge, but she didn't.

Vito Corleone and Tom Hagen from The Godfather (Is it something wrong with me that I find the book so funny:D!)

Caris from World Without End

I'll keep editting the list when more come back to my mind:)))

message 14: by Dulshani (new)

Dulshani | 3 comments Amalie wrote: And I personally believe, Voldemort is not THE most cruel villain ever...he has been an orphan, half blood? There's more psychology into the character.

Yes, there's something in that, but i don't totally agree. I sort of look at Lisbeth Salander here. Voldermort had a much less crappier childhood. And he could have actually gone a long way even if he hadn't become The Dark Lord. But he wanted to be evil...so whatever!

I once read a fanfiction sometimes ago of how it would had been if his mother, Meredith had lived. It was really interesting and well written. Voldermort still has the evil streak in him, but becomes more balances because of his mother's love. Unfortunately, the fanfiction wasn't completed.

message 15: by Minoli (new)

Minoli (auri_1437) | 4 comments I'm going to steal Amalie's template too, but will omit some fields.

favourite hero: Kvothe from The Name of the Wind
favourite heroine: Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice She was one kick-ass gilr, and would have been quite a striking character even in the modern society where women are supposedly more assertive and independent.
favourite villain: Joss Merlin from Jamaica Inn
I saw that Voldemort had appeared as the villain in many cases, but for me, he is not a very good villian. He is naturally evil, and therfore lacks the attraction of the reader. I mean I was more interested in Harry than Voldy, and did not go "finally!" when he died because he died, but because Harry survived.
favourite tragic-hero: Severus Snape from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince I hated myself for depising him in the first few books. although i knew he was the good guy somewhere around The Order of the Phoenix.

The best child character: Pippi, Pippi Longstocking
The best animal character: Aslan, the Great Lion in "Narnia"

Apart from them, i like the characters of Peta from The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset, Anna from My Sister's Keeper, Bast from The Name of the Windand Jo from Little Women

message 16: by Shani (new)

Shani | 4 comments Wow, long dormant topic!

I am surprised no one picked Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice) as a favorite hero. He's certainly one of mine, only surpassed by Al'Lan Mandragoran from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

message 17: by Janith (new)

Janith Pathirage (pathirage) | 26 comments Here's my top 10
1) The Count of Monte Cristo
2) Sherlock Holmes
3) Rhett Butler of 'Gone with the Wind'
4) Heathcliff of 'Wuthering Heights'
5) John Childermass of 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell'
6) Insarov of 'On the Eve'
7) Boromir of 'Lord of the Rings'
8) Aragorn of 'Lord of the Rings'
9) Raven King of 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell'
10) Bigwig of 'Watership Down'

message 18: by Rukshana (new)

Rukshana | 2 comments Janith wrote: "Here's my top 10
2) Sherlock Holmes
5) John Childermass of 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell'..."

I really like your list Janith. Some of the strongest characters one would ever see in world literature. And I adore that rabbit at no 10. Good stuff !

message 19: by Janith (new)

Janith Pathirage (pathirage) | 26 comments Rukshana wrote: "Janith wrote: "Here's my top 10
2) Sherlock Holmes
5) John Childermass of 'Jonathan Strang..."

Thanks Rukshana :). Some characters are bigger than life. These are my heroes. And Bigwig is more than just a rabbit. He totally earned his spot there

message 20: by Janith (new)

Janith Pathirage (pathirage) | 26 comments Just a wild idea, Imagine all these characters put in together in one book. How big would it be !! :D

message 21: by Rukshana (new)

Rukshana | 2 comments Janith wrote: "Just a wild idea, Imagine all these characters put in together in one book. How big would it be !! :D"

I can only imagine ..

message 22: by Dilum (new)

Dilum | 1 comments Sherlock Holmes

message 23: by Rasika (new)

Rasika Jayawardena | 3 comments My list;

Shirley - Shirley by Charlotte Brontë
Nick - The Stand by Stephen King
Paige -Kelley Armstrong series
HAL 9000 - 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
Harry Potter - Harry Potter

message 24: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Hunt (ethan_hunt) | 1 comments Mark Watney in The Martian