Challenge: 50 Books discussion

3rd Qtr Report

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
So... How many book have you read? Any favourites?

message 2: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) I'm at 90 right now (would be 91 soon if I'd get off the computer and finish the last 30 pages of The Night Circus!)

Ones that stick out for the last 2 months or so are:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Loved all of those books and push them on everyone with high recommendations, haha.

What have been your top books and your stats? :)

message 3: by Kate (last edited Sep 17, 2012 05:32AM) (new)

Kate | 251 comments I've read about 35 books. Favorites from this year include:

Shot in the Heart by Mikal Gilmore

Salvation on Sand Mountain Snake-Handling and Redemption in Southern Appalachia by Dennis Covington

A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin

Tiffani, I'm stoked you enjoyed "Flowers in the Attic." I've just joined a YA meet-up group and that's our book for next week. I've never read it, but of course know it by its reputation and am looking forward to some delicious classic trash!

message 4: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (mdawnh96) | 107 comments Mod
I've finished 44 books so far, currently reading another two. The only book I've rated 5-stars in the last couple of months is Abhorsen, which is the last book (so far) in it's series but the rest of the series was good too.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate | 251 comments Marissa-dono wrote: "I've finished 44 books so far, currently reading another two. The only book I've rated 5-stars in the last couple of months is Abhorsen, which is the last book (so far) in it's series but the rest ..."

Abhorsen is so good! Love Garth Nix! I think my absolute favorite is Sabriel .

message 6: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) Kate wrote: "Tiffani, I'm stoked you enjoyed "Flowers in the Attic." I've just joined a YA meet-up group and that's our book for next week. I've never read it, but of course know it by its reputation and am looking forward to some delicious classic trash! "

It was much less trashy than I had expected it to be, after hearing all the gossip and whispers about this book -- it was actually so wonderfully written, it really sucked me in. I hope you enjoy reading it with your group!

message 7: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 509 comments i've read 53 books so far. my favorites so far are:
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter so beautifully written and a wonderful story

Broken Harbour by Tana French

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald i have a wild crush on this book right now. read it once, listened to it once, watched the movie twice. yes, the story is flawed. but the writing!

right now i'm reading
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
and i'm sure it's going to be one of my favorites. i'm enjoying it so much it's hard to put it down!

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda I have read 35 books this year. Favorites for this quarter are:

"The Age of Miracles" by Karen Thompson Walker

"Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Cheryl Strayed

message 9: by Sooz (new)

Sooz Naomi: wow! 53. that's really impressive!

Linda: i just finished Wild. i can certainly see why it is so popular ... Cheryl Stayed is soooo engaging. her writing feels so personal and so honest.

Tiffani: The Fault in Our Stars and Night Circus are two i am hoping to get to. The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks is one i read last year and liked a great deal.

as for myself, i just just added Wild, my 45th book so i have no doubt i will make 52 which is my personal goal .... one per month.

message 10: by lisa, Questioner (last edited Sep 23, 2012 09:14PM) (new)

lisa (cravescoffee32) | 286 comments Mod
I've read 51 books so far. My favorites are:

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes -- This is still my favorite read this year.

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick -- this is the best book I've read since our last quarterly report.

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte -- I just finished reading this book, and I'm adding it to my list of favorite classics.

Emma by Jane Austen -- my aunt loves Austen and now I know why. After reading Northanger Abbey (my first experience with Austen) I was disappointed and I didn't understand what the big deal was. But I get it now that I've read Emma. It's wonderful.

message 11: by Kate (last edited Sep 26, 2012 06:17AM) (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 732 comments I've read 56 (including some shorts I read to my son); aiming for 15,000 pages by Christmas. Faves: The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson Father of the Rain by Lily King State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 732 comments Really hoping to squeeze in The Sense of an Ending ~

message 13: by lisa, Questioner (new)

lisa (cravescoffee32) | 286 comments Mod
Hi Kate,

I read The Sense of an Ending in one day - it's super-short, maybe only 160 pages or so? I can't help myself -- I rave about the book to anyone who will listen!

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 732 comments Lisa, thanks! Might just be my next read. Oh no . . . I'll hafta go to a bookstore . . . drats . . . :)

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (Chlokara) | 709 comments I just got the audiobook of The Sense of An Ending from the library. Looking forward to listening to it.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stie (MichelleStie-Buckles) | 192 comments I've read 41 so far toward my goal of 55. Best books so far include Beautiful Ruins, Bring Up the Bodies, and The Sisters Brothers

message 17: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 356 comments I'm up to 37... a little behind, but I did read Ulysses this summer, so I don't particularly feel like I've been slacking. :) As for favorites, I had a good streak in the summer with Pope Joan, Red-Robed Priestess, and The Other Boleyn Girl. I haven't really been disappointed by much so far this year, though. (Exception: I finally read The Pilgrim's Progress. It wasn't worth it.)

message 18: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) Sooz wrote: "Naomi: wow! 53. that's really impressive!

Linda: i just finished Wild. i can certainly see why it is so popular ... Cheryl Stayed is soooo engaging. her writing feels so personal and so hon..."

I hope you get to those books, I loved them both! Though, Night Circus took me over a hundred pages to get into (can't remember if I already mentioned that!).

I just finished Eat, Pray, Love which I did not enjoy much and took me 12 days to finish - yikes! Now I'm reading: She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders and Catch Me If You Can as chosen for me in the "Pick It for Me" section of another group. :)

message 19: by Sandi (new)

Sandi I've read more than 50 books this year, probably more. Lots of health issues which would it not have been for books would have had me ink the loony bin. Is a voracious reader allowed? Hope so I love talking about books?