Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Dark Prince (Dark, #1)
This topic is about Dark Prince
Book Issues > I don't think this is right, but I'm not sure

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 93 comments I'm confused. This may seem like a silly question but it just doesn't seem right to me.

I have read the above book for years now and it's marked as read.

At the bookstore recently I found a new edition of the book by the author, that is a special edition with a 100 more pages added in.

So, it's technically the same book but obviously not, different editions, different number of pages, etc.

However, when I added in the new edition here - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/95...
it says read. If I change that edition to to-read, then it changes the above edition to to-read too.

Any suggestions?

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments An extended edition should generally be combined with the original edition. You can review more than one edition of the same book like this:
http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/71...

message 3: by willaful (last edited Sep 15, 2012 05:39PM) (new)

willaful I think what you're asking is, can you have one book be shelved as read and the other one to-read, am I right? I don't think you can -- I experimented with reviewing a different edition of a book I'd read, and though it removed all the other shelves, it still came up on my "read" shelf.

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments willaful wrote: "I think what you're asking is, can you have one book be shelved as read and the other one to-read, am I right? I don't think you can -- I experimented with reviewing a different edition of a book I..."

No, you can have different editions on different exclusive shelves. If there's something going on right now where changing the exclusive shelf on one shelved edition changes it on the other shelved edition then that's a bug and should be reported in the feedback group.

message 5: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Sep 15, 2012 06:39PM) (new) - added it

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 93 comments Cait wrote: "An extended edition should generally be combined with the original edition. You can review more than one edition of the same book like this:
http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/71......"

Yes, when I review this one I'd want to review it differently. I mean, it's the same book but with an added 100 pages, so there would obviously need to be different notes and comments. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

willaful | 563 comments I think what you're asking is, can you have one book be shelved as read and the other one to-read, am I right? I don't think you can -- I experimented with reviewing a different edition of a book I'd read, and though it removed all the other shelves, it still came up on my "read" shelf.

Exactly. I don't want it marked that I've read the special edition when I haven't yet since there were so many differences.

No, you can have different editions on different exclusive shelves. If there's something going on right now where changing the exclusive shelf on one shelved edition changes it on the other shelved edition then that's a bug and should be reported in the feedback group.

I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not. All I know is it changes the other one when I do something to the special edition too. I'd like them both on the different exclusive shelves.

Thanks for the all help and quick responses!

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Erin wrote: "I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not. All I know is it changes the other one when I do something to the special edition too. I'd like them both on the different exclusive shelves."

I tested this just now and I was able to add a book to my "read" shelf, add a different edition of that book to by "to-read" shelf, and change one edition to "currently-reading"; at no time did changing one edition affect how I had the other shelved. You might want to try removing the special edition from your shelves (carefully! if you remove the other one you'll delete your review!) and adding it back again. If you can still recreate this, you really should post your exact steps in the feedback group and get help there -- since the book records are correct here, there's not much librarians can do for you.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 93 comments For some reason I was able to get it to work this morning when I kept messing with it, in contrast to yesterday where it seemed nothing would work. Appreciate all the help/advice everyone :)