Opera: The Extravagant Art discussion

Performance > What operas have you seen recently?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
What opera productions (professional, touring, local colleges or conservatories, etc.) have you seen lately? Was the staging "traditional" or otherwise? Did you find interesting nuances or different interpretations in the production (if applicable)? New singers to watch out for?

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
I just saw Adriana Lecouvreur at the Metropolitan Opera on Friday. Placido Domingo returned as Maurizio and Olga Borodina was the Princess and Maria Guleghina was Ariana. It was a good production, though I have to say it was not my favourite opera. None of the music grabbed me the way I find a Puccini, Verdi, or a Mozart do. Still, I'm thrilled to have seen such a wonderful cast perform.

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
I just saw a production of Ned Rorem's adaptation of Our Town by Thornton Wilder. It was good; reminded me a bit of Benjamin Britten's Turn of the Screw.

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
I saw a production of Smetana's Bartered Bride on Friday night. Interesting production; sung in English.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments The Magic Flute at the LA Opera!

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
How was LA's opera? I've heard really good things about it. Where did they set it?

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
I just saw Tancredi with Ewa Powles last night.

message 8: by Mary Anne (new)

Mary Anne | 14 comments Falstaff at the Pittsburgh Opera, with Mark Delavan. Watch this:
http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedi...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Patrice, is that the Tosca that's an opera film, rather than a staged opera? I've never seen it; I have trouble with the lip-synching in the opera films I've seen, except for Domingo's Carmen, which was really good. Also, there are often unfortunate cuts, and strange scenes inserted, for example in the filmed Traviata with Domingo and Stratas, the repeated clips of Alfredo's innocent sister being spurned by her priggish fiancé, etc. I found those scenes jarring, and it put me off opera films.

But I think I should give that Tosca a try, based on your recommendation.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I'm sold! I just checked my township library web site and one branch has a copy. Maybe I'll drive over there and pick it up today.

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
M I have to admit I love love love Zeffirelli's La traviata though I can see how the intercutting to the sister/fiance was bothersome. That scene didn't bother me, but the memory of them rowing on the lake and them standing by the tree holding hands at the end drove me nuts...

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
Just saw the world premiere of Madame White Snake which will have its Chinese premiere in Beijing in October 2010.

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula Geist | 2 comments I am determined to see the opera "Dead Man Walking" and I cannot explain why. The opera gets warm reviews, but not raves. I liked the movie OK, but I was not completely enthralled with it. I have been doing a search every season to find out where it is playing, but so far, it has not worked out for me. There is hardly any place in the country where one cannot fly in for the day, or I could do an overnighter. We know opera is irrational so perhaps we should not be surprised if it makes us behave irrationally (sigh). I know it's too early to search next season, but if anyone sees it listed on a program anywhere, please let me know.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenna wrote: "M I have to admit I love love love Zeffirelli's La traviata though I can see how the intercutting to the sister/fiance was bothersome. That scene didn't bother me, but the memory of them rowing on..."

This DVD was my very first exposure to Traviata, and those bits at the end really confused me -- was this woman dying, or not?? LOL

But I agree that the performances of the 2 stars are outstanding. And I even like the overture section as Violetta wanders through her house as movers pack up everything. That I didn't find confusing!

What I don't get is why they let this DVD go out of print.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Paula wrote: "I am determined to see the opera "Dead Man Walking" and I cannot explain why. The opera gets warm reviews, but not raves. I liked the movie OK, but I was not completely enthralled with it. I hav..."

We will try to help you fulfill your mission, Paula! Though I never hear about performances unless they're in Opera News, but you never know.

message 16: by Jenna (last edited May 05, 2010 12:02PM) (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
Saw Offenbach's Grande-Duchesse de Gerolstein last night with Stephanie Blythe. Beautiful set. Blythe was wonderful too.

message 17: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 5 comments Last opera I saw was one of the Met HD offerings in a theater and can't even summon which it was now -- no fault of the opera at all, solely the state of my mind -- and had a wonderful experience of conversation with another patron during the imtermission. Last live performance was some long while back at the local university's end of year productions by their opera students.

Need to move performance schedules, HD showings and such up on my radar settings and make more of an effort to view more either on PBS or in the movie theaters if not a live production.

message 18: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
I regret to say I've never made it to the MET HD Offerings; the theatre where it is held is not at all close or convenient to where I live. I am going to try to be better about it though.

When my TV/VCR works, I try to catch all the local PBS airings though.

message 19: by Dragana (new)

Dragana | 7 comments Most recently I had the opportunity to watch "The queen of spades" in Novi Sad. It was as "traditional" as it gets, and as should be :-).
There were no famous singers involved but it was nice none the less.
I really loved the character of the Countess and her aria in the second act.
Tchaikovsky has, as always, outdone himself when it comes to music.
At first it was a bit unusual to follow it in Russian, but you get used to it.

message 20: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
Seeing Pique Dame would be interesting. Only know plot. A good production is worth seeing, though, even if no famous singers involved!

message 21: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
Just saw a fabulous production of Turandot at the Minnesota Opera a few weeks ago.

message 22: by Dragana (new)

Dragana | 7 comments A few weeks ago I saw Nabucco. It was nice, the mezzo soprano that has sung the part of Fenena was the same that I had the opportunity ti listen to both in the Pique Dame and Il Trovatore. She sings wonderful and it was worth seeing her. The soprano, on the other had was not asgood as I would like her to be.

message 23: by Dragana (new)

Dragana | 7 comments Jenna wrote: "Seeing Pique Dame would be interesting. Only know plot. A good production is worth seeing, though, even if no famous singers involved!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UfqTX...
The aria of the Countess, if you would like to hear it :-)

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) I just saw the final dress rehearsal of Die Fledermaus at the Met. It was hilarious! My full review is here...
http://www.emmaiadanza.com/2013/12/27...

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) Ok, I saw L'elisir D'amore and I MET ANNA NETREBKO!!!

message 26: by Mary Anne (new)

Mary Anne | 14 comments Awesome, Emma!

message 27: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) Thanks :)

message 28: by Dottie (last edited Feb 23, 2014 02:38PM) (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 5 comments We just attended the semi-staged La Traviata at the Renee and Henry Segerstrom Hall in Costa Mesa on Thursday evening -- it the third such opera/concert offering from the resident Pacific Symphony with excellent soloists and the Pacific Chorale and sometimes the OC Children's Chorus. This is an effort to once again put into place some opera in Orange County which has sadly been lacking that portion of the music scene since the demise of the county opera company some years ago. We have attended all three and loved them! The other two were La Boheme and Tosca.

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) That company must really like Puccini and Verdi!

message 30: by Mary Anne (new)

Mary Anne | 14 comments I mentioned elsewhere here that Tuesday I will be seeing Paul's Case, a chamber opera based on a short story written by Willa Cather.

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) I just saw La Cenerentola at the Met (it was the last performance of the season) and I went to the stage door afterwards and met Joyce DiDonato, Juan Diego Flórez, Pietro Spagnoli, and Luca Pisaroni (I also took selfies with them, and I had a short conversation with Luca!) http://www.emmaiadanza.com/2014/05/10...

message 32: by Mary Anne (new)

Mary Anne | 14 comments Nice, Emma!

message 33: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) :)

message 34: by Ben (new)

Ben Lovegrove | 5 comments Wagner's Flying Dutchman at the Royal Opera House. Going to see Carmen in January.

message 35: by Ged (new)

Ged (rubicon528) | 5 comments I saw Welsh National Opera's Autumn season productions of Khovanshchina, From the House of the Dead and Eugine Onegin - awesome! WNO are a fabulous company. I also saw Thomas Adés The Exterminating Angel live streamed from the Met Opera last night. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I particularly liked the music for Act 1. I look forward to attending a Thomas Adés concert in Birmingham UK next Spring when Thomas will be conducting.

message 36: by Jon (new)

Jon  Blanchard  | 2 comments I saw Macbeth at the Royal Opera House last night. The production was stylized, as indeed the original play would have been, but no attempt to impose the director's concept against the plot.

Before I knew the work it sounded a bit of a joke with Shakespeare with the cliches of early Verdi (choruses of assassins and witches, drinking song, brass bank for Duncan's entrance) but it works musically, even though it does not surpass the original play. Falstaff does.

message 37: by Ged (new)

Ged (rubicon528) | 5 comments Terrence wrote: "I saw Macbeth at the Royal Opera House last night. The production was stylized, as indeed the original play would have been, but no attempt to impose the director's concept against the plot.

Befor..."

Excellent Terence! The seems to be a lot of productions of 'The Scottish play' on at the moment. I saw WNO's production of Verdi's Macbeth in 2016 - Weird but wonderful!

message 38: by Ged (new)

Ged (rubicon528) | 5 comments Recently I have seen Welsh National Opera's production of Verdi's La forza del destino. Not my favourite of Verdi's works. It didn't seem to flow. I have also seen Birmingham Opera Company's new commission: Wake! based around the story of Lazarus. Two hundred performers and a 36 piece orchestra with additional musicians, and a promenading audience in a disused warehouse. BOC like to push the boundaries!

message 39: by Mary Anne (new)

Mary Anne | 14 comments I saw Moby Dick at Pittsburgh Opera. Jake Heggie is the composer. This is a newer production from the original one, and I absolutely loved it!

message 40: by Jon (new)

Jon  Blanchard  | 2 comments Saturday, I went to Sullivan’s Iolanthe at the English National Opera. I knew it from records as a child, but I’ve not seen it on stage. The combination of the beauty of the music and absurdity of the words is wonderful and this performance did it justice. I found a few of the extra gimmicks tedious, but on the whole er enjoyable.

message 41: by Ged (new)

Ged (rubicon528) | 5 comments Yesterday I saw a double opera production at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire (UK): Charpentier's, Les Arts Florissants and Offenbach's, Mesdames de la Halle. Both well performed by the students. I most enjoyed the Ofenbach work.

message 42: by Mary Anne (new)

Mary Anne | 14 comments Sounds good. Did the double production make for a long day?