Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Food for Thought > Who was your first dangerous hero?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9732 comments Mod
Do you recall? Did the earth move and you realized you were hooked forevermore on bad boys, or did it take some time?

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I can't say really. I noticed that I did like some dangerous heroes, like gunslingers and warriors, and of course, Anne Stuart heroes. I can't say which was my first favorite.

It must say something that my favorite author writes almost exclusively dark/dangerous heroes and that many of my all time favorites have these kinds of heroes...

message 3: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 2 comments Mr. Hawk Delgado from Mystery Man by Kristen Ashley. I'm still kind of new to this genre so I can't say for sure if he would remain at the top of my list.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

What do you like about Hawk? What makes him seem like a dangerous hero to you, Lynne?

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Maybach (PaperShredder) | 8 comments My first dangerous hero was Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, and oh yeah, the earth moved. I was 11 years old, and would have given anything to have been in Cathy's place. I'd have run off with Heathcliff.
After that all my hero's had to be a little mean, and a little dark.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I still haven't read Wuthering Heights. I have heard it's good, but kind of traumatic.

message 7: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Maybach (PaperShredder) | 8 comments It's an excellent book! But yes, its very tragic.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I have it on my to read list. I enjoy the classics. I try to squeeze them in when I get a chance.

message 9: by Arielka (new)

Arielka (readalover) | 10 comments I think I knew for sure that I was crazy for bad boys when I read the Fever series. I mean how can you describe Barrons without the words bad, hot, sexy, dangerous, perfect!?!?

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Oh Barrons truly does sing out bad boy/dangerous loud and clear. The opinions about him are so mixed. I liked him for the complicated man he was. I am still reading the series though.

message 11: by Arielka (new)

Arielka (readalover) | 10 comments Oh Lady Danielle! You will love the end book. I love Barrons because you never know what he's gonna do. He IS complicated and that's the great part. ;)

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy the series. I have always loved faerie-themed books. I like that Barrons is so unpredictable. I just read series so slowly!

message 13: by Desiree M ~*~*~ (last edited Sep 14, 2012 10:34PM) (new)

Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect (livereadcollect) | 109 comments I don't know if this hero was my first dangerous hero, there might be a couple more before him but he definitely is the one that stands out as one of my first dangerous heroes.

Gabriel from Blood and Chocolate. He rode a motorcycle, he was the alpha of the pack (he also started me on my love of werewolves and shifters), and he clearly wanted Vivian and would let her know that she'd be his. He was a bad ass and I fell hard. Aiden wasn't even a blip on the radar screen with Gabriel in the picture.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I still need to read Blood and Chocolate. I have seen the movie, but I didn't like the portrayal of Gabriel in the movie. Could be because I find Olivier Martinez sleazy (no offense to fans).

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (shinhbang) | 139 comments I think my first dangerous hero was Wrath from the BDB boys. After him, I was hooked!

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Wrath is a very good start to a DH-loving career, Ashley!

The BDB helped me to get into vampire romance. I wasn't a big fan of it until I read it, Kresley Cole's IAD, and Feehan's Carpathians.

message 17: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments Hmmm you might not know who this is but James Malory from Johanna Lindseys Malory series was my first dangerous hero, love the Malory Men!! He was a Pirate, yum!!

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Good one, Jill. James was an early DH for me as well. Johanna Lindsey was my first HR author, which I have said many times. She definitely has her share of DHs.

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments Yes she does. I love a good Lindsey book.

message 20: by Candy Aya (new)

Candy Aya (notyourgirlnextdoor) | 11 comments Jericho Barrons of Darkfever :3 he was such a mysterious guy. And oh, super hot too! lol

message 21: by CaroleDee (new)

CaroleDee | 25 comments My very first 'bad boy' wasn't from a book, but rather the movie The Lost Boys. Kiefer Sutherland's character had me swooning before I even knew what it meant. LOL. I used to play the movie out with my Barbies. Yes, that's how long ago it was :P
I just couldn't fathom why Star wanted to get away from the 'bad guys' so bad. I was like, 'SIGN ME UP!' I'll hang out at the pier, listen to the bad ass saxophone guy, and eat security guards with a smile on my eternally youthful face. LOL

description

message 22: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) Mine was Diablo from Tempt the Devil

message 23: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 2 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "What do you like about Hawk? What makes him seem like a dangerous hero to you, Lynne?"

I guess I'm not entirely sure. I know I love a strong alpha male. Hawk seems fearless and he never tries to preserve feelings. And while I know this detail was one of the least popular aspects of the book, (view spoiler)

message 24: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
My first was Wulgar from The Wolf and the Dove

message 25: by Desiree M ~*~*~ (new)

Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect (livereadcollect) | 109 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I still need to read Blood and Chocolate. I have seen the movie, but I didn't like the portrayal of Gabriel in the movie. Could be because I find Olivier Martinez sleazy (no offense to fans)."

I'm not an Olivier Martinez fan either. I've never pictured him as Gabriel. Thankfully (since I'm not a fan of the movie) the movie only really took 3 things from the book. The title, characters names, and werewolves. Other than that it's mostly different from the book.

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 511 comments That is a tough question because I find myself cheering for the "bad guys" quite often. Spike from Buffy the vampire slayer was pretty early on for me. I was totally smitten with him. As far as books go I would have to go with Lestat from the Vampire Chronicles series by Ann Rice. He still makes me a big puddle of goo. :)

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments Oh wow, this is gonna sound crazy but it was a long time ago when I was a kid, so it's actually from a youth novel. You know, not a childrens book but not quite the adult level. But it's the first dangerous hero type I remember from my past. The main character Jeorg in Susan Fletcher's Dragon's Milk. I have actually re-read this book, since it's a shortie, recently. It was still as good as I remembered it!!

message 28: by Nomad (new)

Nomad I only recently got into PNR and the romance genre, but I remember my firt dangerous hero, though it's from the fantasy genre. The character Skif from Mercedes Lackey's Valedmar mega-series.

You first meet him at the Herald's training facility and he's like 14 years old and has spent his whole life as a thief and a street kid. But he's happy go lucky and just plain fun to read and he stays that way thoughout you reading about him growing up.

The Elspeth's trilogy happens and he's a grown man and the 2 of them are out on a mission and he straight up assainates someone with little to no thought about the morality of assinating someone. When Elspeth (who's just as badass as Skif is) is all agog and I thought you were Mr. Happy! Skif has the greatest line "The streets don't make you happy, they make you mean."

From that point on Skif's dangerous side would show up and shock everyone and I was hooked.

message 29: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments Jessica wrote: "That is a tough question because I find myself cheering for the "bad guys" quite often. Spike from Buffy the vampire slayer was pretty early on for me. I was totally smitten with him. As far as boo..."

Oh I totally agree, he is the master dangerous bad boy!! I love him!!

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

That's good news about the difference between the movie and book for Blood and Chocolate, Desiree.

message 31: by Kryptonite (new)

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments I think mine might have been Rhage from BDB. No earthquakes but I got hooked to the series then to the genre.

message 32: by Rachel the Book Harlot (last edited Sep 15, 2012 11:40PM) (new)

Rachel the Book Harlot | 217 comments I feel old because it's hard for me to remember my first dangerous hero but I think my very first one, when I was about 10 or 11 maybe, was Snake Plisskin from the film Escape From New York. To this day I still love that man.

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Oh, he was a good one, Rachel. Kurt Russell has played a lot of good DHs throughout his career.

message 34: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Lynne wrote: "Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "What do you like about Hawk? What makes him seem like a dangerous hero to you, Lynne?"

I guess I'm not entirely sure. I know I love a strong alpha male...."

That definitely sounds like a DH to me, Lynne. I still need to try some of her books.

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Nomad wrote: "I only recently got into PNR and the romance genre, but I remember my firt dangerous hero, though it's from the fantasy genre. The character Skif from Mercedes Lackey's Valedmar mega-series.

You f..."

I have this thing for assassin characters. Can't seem to shake it!

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura Alicia wrote: "My first dangerous hero was Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, and oh yeah, the earth moved. I was 11 years old, and would have given anything to have been in Cathy's place. I'd have run off with H..."

My first dangerous hero in books was definately Heathcliff. On tv it was the boys from Young Riders. I don't know if any of you ever watched that but it was about a whole lot of cute cowboys that a teenage girl dreamed about.

Rachel the Book Harlot | 217 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Kurt Russell has played a lot of good DHs throughout his career."

I also really loved him in Tombstone.

You know who else I think plays sexy DH's? Ray Liotta. I don't find him conventionally handsome but I think he has a very sexy intensity about him.

message 38: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I loved The Young Riders! My favorites were Hickok, Buck, and Noah. I liked how the one girl was in disguise as a boy.

Rachel, I agree with you about Ray Liotta. I loved him in Heartbreakers!

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 511 comments Totally agree with you all about Ray Liotta. He has such charisma when he plays a DH. He was awesome in Goodfellas.

Viggo Mortensen is like that too. He isn't normally good looking, IMO, but give him a sword and cover him in dirt. Lord of the Rings style and you have one charismatic, good looking dude. He plays a warrior well. *sigh*

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

So true about Viggo. I was never that into him before, but yowza, he's looking good to me now. He didn't look good in Eastern Promises, but wow, I loved his character!

message 41: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 511 comments Yeah, he is an excellent actor with some great characters. Have you seen the road? He was great in that. But the only time I have really found him attractive was in LOTR.

Another good one is Sean Bean. But is is good looking all around. He plays a great warrior through. Pretty much love him in everything I have seen him in.

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (shinhbang) | 139 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Wrath is a very good start to a DH-loving career, Ashley!

The BDB helped me to get into vampire romance. I wasn't a big fan of it until I read it, Kresley Cole's IAD, and Feehan's Carpathians."

OO! Right now, I am such a big fan of Kresley Cole's IAD males! :)

message 43: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I can't choose a favorite IAD hero. Love them all, Ashley!

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Jessica wrote: "Yeah, he is an excellent actor with some great characters. Have you seen the road? He was great in that. But the only time I have really found him attractive was in LOTR.

Another good one is Sean..."

The Road looks too depressing for me. I've been avoiding it.

Oh, I love me some Sean Bean!

message 45: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments I love Ray Liotta!

I've only ever seen Sean Bean in Game of Thrones, but he's amazing in it

message 46: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Sean Bean tends more toward character work, not big roles. You will have fun watching him in other roles, Tammy.

message 47: by Rachel the Book Harlot (last edited Sep 16, 2012 02:21PM) (new)

Rachel the Book Harlot | 217 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I loved The Young Riders! My favorites were Hickok, Buck, and Noah!"

Oh, I totally missed that Young Riders comment above! I absolutely ADORED Young Riders! Hickok was my favorite also, Lady D. - he was super duper sexy. Now that reminds me of all the Clint Eastwood westerns that I loved growing up. That is another man who played some hot intense DH's. Loved him in the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and Two Mules for Sister Sara. Also loved him as Dirty Harry.

Jessica wrote: "Viggo Mortensen is like that too. He isn't normally good looking, IMO, but give him a sword and cover him in dirt."

Totally agree. He also has that sexy intensity about him. Lady D, I also loved him his character in Eastern Promises. Honestly, sometimes I think well played intensity goes further than a conventionally "pretty" hero.

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 511 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I can't choose a favorite IAD hero. Love them all, Ashley!"

Totally love the IAD heroes as well. They are all great. I actually have a Nikolai shirt, he's one of my favorites, that I wear all the time. But, you're right it is really hard to pick a favorite. I LOVE the Lykae through. I have a major soft spot for those Scottish lykae. As you can see. I can't really pick a favorite. :)

The Road was depressing but it was so well done. You really felt for the characters. Black Death with Sean Bean was like that too. That is one of my favorites of his. Poor Sean Bean through always seems to die in his movies. They really like to kill him off. Have you seen the Youtube videos that people have cut together with all his death scenes. It is kind of funny in a morbid way.

http://youtu.be/zJODirze5EM

message 49: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments Sean Bean was in Troy and Lord of the Rings...I guess I've seen him in more than just Game of Thrones lol

message 50: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 511 comments Tammy wrote: "Sean Bean was in Troy and Lord of the Rings...I guess I've seen him in more than just Game of Thrones lol"

yeah he pops up everywhere. It's like, oh he was in that too, I did not know that. lol.

« previous 1