What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Wings of the Storm (Time Search #1)
This topic is about Wings of the Storm
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Medieval time-travel [s]

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josie (new) - added it

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments I remember reading this book my sister borrowed from the library, possibly in the late nineties. The main character was a woman who worked in some sort of science lab, and she was tricked into getting into a time-travel machine by her lab partner, who she disliked. She ends up in medieval times, and is found by a young nobleman, who becomes infatuated with her, and takes her back to his manor/castle. He called her his 'nut-brown Jeanne' or something similar. He was betrothed to a woman who arrives at his castle whilst he's away, and Jeanne transforms her from dirty and overweight blimp into a VISION, who the nobleman falls for on sight. Jeanne meanwhile, has fallen for a visiting blonde knight. The twist comes when she overhears him singing a Beatles song, and she realises he is also from her time, and SURPRISE! he's her awful lab partner, who has been working out and grown a beard.
I remember Jeanne had to explain her hair growing out from its perm by saying she had been ill, and the illness had turned her hair straight.
Any ideas?

message 2: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarai0989) | 87 comments Well it sounds hilarious, so if and when you find it I'd like to read it!

message 3: by Dani (new)

Dani | 2 comments Haha. I would too!

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelamclaughlin) | 0 comments SOunds great. Hope you find the title.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yeah, I'd like to read that too! I'll be watching this thread.

message 6: by John (new)

John Me, too - especially if it's available on audio!

message 7: by Josie (new) - added it

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments Oh but I've ruined the suspenseful twist for you all now! ;)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Josie wrote: "Oh but I've ruined the suspenseful twist for you all now! ;)"

My memory's bad enough it won't matter. I can watch crime shows over and over again and never remember who did it!

message 9: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments I thought in "Outlander" she hears someone singing a Beatles song...

message 10: by April Ann (last edited Feb 06, 2009 11:35AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments A Knight to Cherish by Angie Ray 1999. Description: Thrown back in time to savage medieval times, prim Francine Peabody sets out tame her new world, beginning with Garrick, a wild knight who has vowed never to fall in love. 1999

A Knight to Cherish (Time Passages Romance Series) by Angie Ray

Or My Lady in Time by the same author. 1998

My Lady in Time (Time Passages Romance) by Angie Ray

She writes the "Time Passages" Romance series.

Here's a link for Angie Ray on Fantastic Fiction. Her books sound humorous!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/a...

message 11: by Josie (new) - added it

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments Nope, none of these are it I'm afraid! Thanks though.

message 12: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 16 comments ahh I hope someone finds it! I really want to read it, too. haha

message 13: by Evan (new)

Evan | 27 comments Sounds a bit like a Connie Willis novella, but I don't know it.

message 14: by Deb (new)

Deb | 48 comments I think Even is thinking of Connie Willis' Doomsday Book, where a time travel researcher is transported back to 1349...but not quite the same.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments This sounds a bit like The Sterkarm Handshake by Susan Price.

Summary: When a 21st-century mega-corporation opens a Time Tube to the 16th century, the stiff-backed CEO finds his plans for exploiting the mineral and tourism possibilities of the ancient English-Scottish border frustrated by the Sterkarms--raiding parties of men he regards as primitive animals.

On the other side of the Time Tube, anthropologist Andrea Mitchell has been sent to live with the Sterkarms to be the corporation's informant and translator. There she is surprised to find herself admired for her generous curves and accepted warmly by the volatile and affectionate--but intermittently murderous--clansmen. When her lover, Per, is grievously wounded on a raid, she persuades Old Toorkild, the chief, to allow his handsome and adored son to be transported to the 21st century for healing. But when Per awakes in a world four centuries ahead of his own, his terror and suspicions of treachery bring down a wild collision between heartless technology and a ferocious people skilled in passionate defense of their life and lands.

message 16: by Josie (new) - added it

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments That's not it, unfortunately! Thanks though :)

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam | 3 comments this totally sounded like "the doomsday book" at first, but by the middle of the description, not so much!

message 18: by Hilary (new) - added it

Hilary (renfrew) | 48 comments A little like Jude Deveraux original edition of "Knight in Shining Armor" -- but not. I hope you find it (I want to read it, too!)

message 19: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments I found To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
But it doesn't sound like a match.

message 20: by Deb (last edited Mar 07, 2009 05:22AM) (new)

Deb | 48 comments To Say Nothing of the Dog is about the 19th century. It takes off from Jerome K. Jerome's classic "Three Men in an Boat, To Say Nothing of the Dog." The time traveler keeps running into the three men and the dog on their journey up a river.

Michael Palin of Python fame starred in a movie of Three Men.

Jerome K. Jerome said "Work fascinates me, I can watch it for hours...."

Both books were good!

message 21: by April Ann (last edited Mar 07, 2009 05:53AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Is it possible that it could be medeival Ireland? Or Scotland? I keep finding a McGreagor series....

Deb, TSNOTD kept popping up on searches, I added it to my TBR list! It looks like a good one.

message 22: by Deb (new)

Deb | 48 comments Read Three Men in a Boat first! JKJ is a comic writer, you will enjoy him....

message 23: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Thanks Deb I will!

message 24: by Josie (new) - added it

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments It could be anywhere in Britain, I should think, though I don't remember any specific references to Ireland or Scotland, and no one was wearing kilts!

message 25: by Jan (the Gryphon) (last edited Mar 11, 2009 06:56AM) (new)

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) No kilts is a non-clue. In spite of the millions of historical romances set in Scotland written in the last century, Before the late 1700s, most Scotsmen wore variants of whatever was in fashion in Britain. When they were working, those who were unable to afford coats and breeches wore a sark--a belted tunic--and, in cold weather, trews--leg warmers, usually bound to the legs with laces of leather or twine--augmented by a large shawl called a plaid . The plaid could be "kilted" around the waist (rather like the Indian sari is wrapped) to provide ease of movement and/or thrown over the shoulder for warmth. Gentry and aristocrats, who had to be fairly well off by definition, would have sneered at those wearing only sark and kilt--much as the well-to-do looked down on men in denim overalls in the 1930s.

The British outlawed tartan setts--the ancestral kilt fabric patterns--along with bagpipes in the late 1700s to discourage the Scots rebellion(s). (Didn't work.) In the late 1800s Queen Victoria reintroduced tartan kilts as we know them as a nostalgically romanticized attempt to popularize the Scots way of life.

Alycia (alyciac) | 47 comments This is one of my all-time favorite historical romances!! Wings of the Storm by Susan Sizemore

message 27: by Josie (new) - added it

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments YES! That's it, thank you! (And just LOOK at that cover...classy!)

Tahleen | 26 comments hooray! i was hoping this one would get solved!

message 29: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarai0989) | 87 comments Ahahaha, the cover is awesome! It looks like a Mills & Boon. I've just checked and neither of my libraries have it - darn!

message 30: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments I'm glad this is finally solved! That title never came up in any searches I did..weird!

message 31: by Hilary (new) - added it

Hilary (renfrew) | 48 comments I've reserved it through the library...

Tahleen | 26 comments Haha I ordered it from amazon... I basically only paid for shipping. It was a penny.