The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

The Camel Club (The Camel Club #1)
This topic is about The Camel Club
Historical Group Reads > Sept/Oct Group Read : The Camel Club

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Donna is very busy at work at this time, so I was drafted. (grinning) So... let's talk about Oliver and his fellow cast of cronies and enemies!

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Whidden (dawn71753) some authors have a knack for making their characters come alive and have us fall in love with them. Balducci does just that. Until his novels did I ever feel that men in the later part of their lives could have such sex appeal

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Oliver is a very attractive protagonist, isn't he? So much strength and compassion combined with the tragic circumstances of his past really does a number on the old heart strings.

Jannene | 771 comments I am so excited to try this author.

Carol | 152 comments I've had this on my TBR list for quite awhile. I'm looking forward to reading this with the group and trying this author for the first time.

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments I discovered Mr. Baldacci the year this book came out. I really enjoy this series as well as his King & Maxwell series. I think his Puller series shows great promise, as well. Another attorney-turned-writer...who'da thunked it? (smile)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments I will ask, once you've completed this book, how possible you believe the scenario of the kidnapping to be. I found it to be way too frighteningly feasible. When you answer, please use the spoiler alert html so we won't ruin anyone's reading pleasure. Thanks.

Erna | 19 comments I generally enjoy Baldacci's books and I loved all of the books featuring the Camel Club.

Nicolette (NicoletteG) | 10 comments Really enjoyed The Camel Club when I read it a year or so ago. I've read a few in the series but somehow managed to miss number 2. Will hopefully rectify this soon.

Jannene | 771 comments I am enjoying this book. I love how he develops the characters.

message 11: by Tay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tay | 261 comments Love this series. I really love Stone Cold which is the third in the series. Hopefully he'll release a fifth (or is sixth?) one soon.

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Baldacci's whole concept of writing about four aging misfits becoming involved in world changing events was a stroke of genius, in my opinion. I've loved every single one of these books, and I've recommended them to my friends and family and have even given them as Christmas gifts from time to time. They're extremely entertaining. The books in the series, for those of you who haven't read or researched them are, in order: The Camel Club, The Collectors, Stone Cold, Divine Justice, Hell's Corner.

message 13: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Pichette | 21 comments I have read all of this series and really enjoyed it. His development of the charaters is excellent and the stories keep your interest.

message 14: by Maverick (new)

Maverick | 1 comments Starting 'The Camel Club' now. My first David Baldacci novel.

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5458 comments Based on the discussion I've read so far on The Camel Club, I may have to get the book and try it. I have to admit it was on my TBR shelf for quite awhile, but I returned it to my used book store during one of my annual culling of the shelves. Your positive discussion has rekindled my interest.

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments As far as quasi political thrillers go, these are not as close to the real thing, as, say, Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp books, but they're still a fun read, in my opinion. I'm curious to know what all of you think of the character "Tom Hemingway". I've listened to this book three times, and read the book version once and i still don't know how I feel about him, which, I suppose, means he was well written. (grin)

Jannene | 771 comments Lucky made me laugh so hard. I had to read that section to my husband.

message 18: by Jeanie (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Jannene wrote: "Lucky made me laugh so hard. I had to read that section to my husband."

She was a hoot, wasn't she? Poor Alex was so discombobulated...

Marie (Mallnell1) | 40 comments Maverick wrote: "Starting 'The Camel Club' now. My first David Baldacci novel."

I Read All The Camel club Books and a lot by Baldacci
He's definitely one of my favorite authors...
Enjoy..

message 20: by Connie (new)

Connie (cojosa) | 2 comments Jeanie wrote: "Donna is very busy at work at this time, so I was drafted. (grinning) So... let's talk about Oliver and his fellow cast of cronies and enemies!"

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments So... Tom Hemingway, any thoughts?

Jannene | 771 comments I'm not fond of Hemingway. He was out of line with what he had done. I love the fact that we know more about Stone but am saddened as to what happened to Beth. I will definitely read the other books as I really, really enjoyed this one.

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments spoiler alert: (view spoiler)

Denise Byer Jeanie wrote: "Baldacci's whole concept of writing about four aging misfits becoming involved in world changing events was a stroke of genius, in my opinion. I've loved every single one of these books, and I've ..."

I agree. I was hesitant to read it initially, but have enjoyed other Baldacci books. The characters were well-developed and believeable.

message 25: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Pileggi | 2 comments When a writer focuses on a main character as a theme for several books it's like hearing tales from an old friend.

message 26: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Otiko  (authorchris) | 6 comments I have already read this book. The character Oliver Stone is a very interesting character.

Carol | 152 comments This is my first Baldacci book, but it certainly won't be my last! I love the idea of the Camel Club, and the involvement of a working agent. Baldacci did a fine job of developing each character and making them likeable.
The question was asked earlier about the feasibility of the kidnapping plot. I felt it was quite possible, and realistic.
I appreciated the comic relief and interesting characters which made the book less dire in some parts. It reminded of a cozy mystery in that way, but I've never heard of a "cozy thriller"! ;-)
Thank you, Donna and Jeannie for suggesting and leading the discussion on this book.
I look forward to reading more Camel Club adventures and trying some of the other Baldacci novels.

Suzanne | 64 comments I haven't read Baldacci in some time, and I really enjoyed this book. I liked the gang of misfits, and I liked that the motivations of the antagonists weren't, for the most part, completely evil. Thanks for suggesting it!

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments I'm so glad you liked this book! I wasn't the one who suggested it as a group read, but I loved blowing the dust off of this one and listening to it one more time. Thanks to everyone who took part in this discussion and helping me out. It was fun! (hugs)