twilight lovers! discussion

324 views
Books in the Twilight Series > Stephen King slams Stephenie Meyer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat (twilightpoint) | 4 comments http://twilightpoint.com/news/stephen...

I don't know but it's a bit harsh.

Pat


message 2: by I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa*, and Twilight! (new)

I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa* (I_Love_Jacob_Black_95) | 3164 comments WOW omg....


message 3: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Stephanie | 4175 comments Mod
I think its a bit harsh...Steven King is an amazing writer but he has also been at it for over a decade while Stephenie Meyer has only been at it for a few years...


message 4: by Mccaul (new)

Mccaul (ryanmccaul) :( my compy won't let me open the link :( would u mind copy pasting it?


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Not cool, man, not cool...


message 6: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (last edited Feb 04, 2009 08:20PM) (new)

Stephanie | 4175 comments Mod
It all started with King’s USA Weekend interview to plug his book but he instead plugged Twilight author Stephenie Meyer’s writing capabilities or lack thereof.

“The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn,” he told USA Weekend. “She’s not very good.”

But King has at least something positive to add:

“People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s very exciting and it’s thrilling and it’s not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual.

“A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet.”

If you would have noticed our book review, we have a few knit-picking with Stephenie Meyer’s writing, though it’s only minimal.



message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 9 comments WOW.... I disagree!


message 8: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Stephanie | 4175 comments Mod
So do I!


message 9: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) "...Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn,"

As harsh as it is, I LOL'd. Only King could get away with saying something like that about a fellow author.


message 10: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie (rosalielucyduffee) | 3 comments A person can go to school or learn how to construct sentences, build paragraphs, know the rules of grammar, how to show not tell, or even bind a book, but to be an amazing storyteller, I believe, is a gift. You just can't learn that. I guess one can try, but amazing would not be an outcome.

I read two books recently that were of great writing, superb even, but the story just didn't cut it.

Sometimes good storytelling is better than great writing. Rowling is both. Meyer can always develop to be a better writer. At least in my opinion.


message 11: by Mccaul (new)

Mccaul (ryanmccaul) King is mean


message 12: by I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa*, and Twilight! (new)

I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa* (I_Love_Jacob_Black_95) | 3164 comments I mainly agree. Meyer is a relatively good writer, but amazingly repetitive. (My pet peeve.) She's much better at romance than sci-fi. King can do many different genre's. A little romance, horror, sci-fi, and more.


♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) i do agree with what King said about the sex thing. Here's my imput:

I love the books, or i wouldn't have posters, shirts, books, etc. but, the thing that SM has said in the books is a lot about Edward not thinking it's safe, about sex. I mean if you get a guy going, he's not going to pull away and say it's not right, most of the time they can't stop, lolz. I think that is like getting into the heads of teens, saying it's okay to do somethings, and stop, your body just wont do that. I will say it again, great book, just too unrealalistic (sorry idk how to spell!). Also, at the age Bella is, what 17-18... you're not going to decide if the guy you're dating is someone you'd die for. I mean, they'd say it and everything, but like love... yes they love each other, but they're not going to die for each other in the "real" life.

Yeah it was a very harsh thing to say... about the not worth a "darn".... lolz! But, it was kinda funny, ^_^


message 14: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 781 comments There's nothing sexual about the book though!!!!
Honestly, I think it's a bit harsh, but for all those people who are pissed off, maybe it's just because I'm not a totally fanatic fan or something, but jeez you guys are taking it way too personally. It's just his opinion on Twilight after all! We have haters on here it's okay to hate it.


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

BookGeek, this topic is like 7 months old. Some of these people aren't even on here anymore...


message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

ya the domain got shut down.


message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 737 comments Mod
Melzz wrote: "BookGeek, this topic is like 7 months old. Some of these people aren't even on here anymore..."

lol


message 18: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 781 comments Melzz wrote: "BookGeek, this topic is like 7 months old. Some of these people aren't even on here anymore..."

So?


message 19: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 2543 comments So?
What is this topic about anyways, im too lazy to read some of you write paragraphs.


message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Vivi wrote: "So? What is this topic about anyways, im too lazy to read some of you write paragraphs."


Famous horror book writer Stephen King made some negative comments about Twilight and Stephenie Meyer.

♥BookGeek♥ wrote: "So?"


Sorry, I thought you were talking directly to those people. I was just saying that they might be gone. My bad.


message 21: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 781 comments No, I'm talking generally. :) Ith's OHKAHY!!!


message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate | 69 comments ♥BookGeek♥ wrote: "There's nothing sexual about the book though!!!!..."

I agree. When I read it, it doesn't pop out at me as sexual. It's just teenagers in love. I also like what Rosalie said up there, about the difference between storytelling and great writing. I agree that Stephenie Meyer might not be the best writer, but she's a heck of a storyteller!


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

There was more sex in my Health text book. >.>


message 24: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Melzz wrote: "There was more sex in my Health text book. >.>"

Ha, wow.


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Pat wrote: "http://twilightpoint.com/news/stephen...

I don't know but it's a bit harsh.

Pat"


that was prety rude




message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, he's an uber famous horror writer, he doesn't need to be polite to sell books.

I don't know why Stephen expected to like a romance anyway, though.


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ya umm the dude wrote pet cemetery
and children of the corn he isn't the romance type


message 28: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 781 comments Plus, it's his own opinion about Twilight. Yes, it's a bit harsh, but let's not be all yelpy because of a guy's opinion!


message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (WolfGirl637) | 152 comments "it's a guy's opinion"

are u saying he has that opinion because he's a guy, because I have a friend named Michael who's even more crazy about the books than I am, and i don't ... think he's gay. Think being the operative word.


message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauren wrote: ""it's a guy's opinion"

are u saying he has that opinion because he's a guy, because I have a friend named Michael who's even more crazy about the books than I am, and i don't ... think he's gay...."


No one said "it's a guy's opinion", that's paraphrasing. No one said he didn't like it because he was male. They just said he didn't enjoy it. I think you misunderstood.


message 31: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 781 comments Melzz wrote: "Lauren wrote: ""it's a guy's opinion"

are u saying he has that opinion because he's a guy, because I have a friend named Michael who's even more crazy about the books than I am, and i don't ... ..."


What she said


message 32: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) This is my take on the whole thing. This came out how long ago? I don't even remember...it's been out for a longgg time. But anyway, the thing about it is that Stephenie Meyer isn't a good writer. She's a good storyteller and there's a huge difference. I devoured these four books when I read them this past summer, don't get me wrong. I loved them, and I couldn't put them down. My point is that I loved the story, but her writing was mediocre, at best. And I may be a bit partial because Stephen King is my favorite author, but he's my favorite author because he is an excellent writer. The man knows how to write, he really does. Anyone who has read several of his works can attest to that. Stephenie Meyer appeals to the whole teenager crowd, and that's great for her, but I hardly think Stephen King would be jealous, considering how wildly successful he's been since 1978. And Stephen King does appreciate romance--there's actually romance and love in a lot of his novels, so I don't really think that that's what affected his opinion of Stephenie Meyer.

::phew:: Sorry about the rant, I just needed to get all of that off of my chest.


message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a good point, Jess. My mother is a Stephen King fan, and whenever I ask her about his books she relates that he is a very good writer. I also think Stephenie is more of a storyteller, but one thing that is coming out is that she is improving the mechanics of her writing with time. Many people that have read The Host can tell you that.


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Everyone has their strengths and weakness its called being human


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Ambizzle wrote: "Everyone has their strengths and weakness its called being human"


I don't think that's what people are getting at.


message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

This is my pretending to care face


O O
____


message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Get a hold of yourself, Amber.


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait I'm finding my Chi found it!


message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol


message 40: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 781 comments Jess wrote: "This is my take on the whole thing. This came out how long ago? I don't even remember...it's been out for a longgg time. But anyway, the thing about it is that Stephenie Meyer isn't a good writer. ..."

I've never read Stephen King so I have no idea about his books or anything. But you are right, it's just an author's opinion, don't take it personally guys! Geez! Plus, he's been popular since the 70's and his books have been made into movies that star REALLY good actors. And still you guys say that he's jealous?


message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 25, 2009 04:40PM) (new)

♥BookGeek♥ wrote: "And still you guys say that he's jealous?"


*Ahem* Not everyone says that.


message 42: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 781 comments Melzz wrote: "♥BookGeek♥ wrote: "And still you guys say that he's jealous?"
*Ahem* Not everyone says that."


I'm talking about the people who think that. :)


message 43: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 1149 comments Kiera wrote: "Good writers write good stuff.
Good storytellers tell their story from the heart.
"


Yes, and I agree there is a difference and sometimes an author has both. But I agree that Stephenie Meyer is a GREAT storyteller.


message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think they have trouble realizing anything, I just think they have a different perception. Different views on who they might consider a storyteller.


message 45: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 781 comments Some great books just don't have great writing. Some of the greatest books I know has ok writing.


message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

♥BookGeek♥ wrote: "Some great books just don't have great writing. Some of the greatest books I know has ok writing. "

exactly

ahem twilight saga


message 47: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Stephanie | 4175 comments Mod
It doesn't have to be great writing for it to be enjoyable!


message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

exactly some great writing really sucks


message 49: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (last edited Oct 27, 2009 08:40PM) (new)

Stephanie | 4175 comments Mod
Yeah and besides Stephen King has written like 73 books...of course he can write better...duh!! It's really not that hard to understand...I think that with any author the more they write the better they get!!


message 50: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 1149 comments Kiera wrote: "Yep. Twilight haters just can't realise that. "

Exactly!




« previous 1
back to top